Texas Hunting Forum

have you ever seen this kind of deer?

Posted By: lillygrace

have you ever seen this kind of deer? - 09/09/20 01:31 AM

i have never seen a père david’s deer until a few weeks ago... what intrigued me was how the antlers look like a stick! 😂

Attached picture 88421261-E85B-4259-BD2A-4B6F7DA4CF61.jpeg
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: have you ever seen this kind of deer? - 09/09/20 02:31 AM

Nice pic!They are different looking for sure. Look like a mix-master of several different animals. I managed a ranch in the early 90's where we raised them....had over 30 hd. They rut in June and July in the heat and love water. Seen them swim across a tank in January on a day when it was in the teens. Shake the water off and not be bothered one bit. When the shed their winter coat the hair comes on in large pieces. Then with the shorter new coat they have bald spots for a few days till the summer coat grows.
Posted By: sparrish8

Re: have you ever seen this kind of deer? - 09/09/20 02:37 AM

Yes their very interesting, they move slowly and I think is why their were almost killed to extinction, I hear their very good to eat.

Re: have you ever seen this kind of deer? - 09/09/20 03:36 AM

Originally Posted by stxranchman
Nice pic!They are different looking for sure. Look like a mix-master of several different animals. I managed a ranch in the early 90's where we raised them....had over 30 hd. They rut in June and July in the heat and love water. Seen them swim across a tank in January on a day when it was in the teens. Shake the water off and not be bothered one bit. When the shed their winter coat the hair comes on in large pieces. Then with the shorter new coat they have bald spots for a few days till the summer coat grows.

that’s awesome!

Re: have you ever seen this kind of deer? - 09/09/20 03:36 AM

Originally Posted by sparrish8
Yes their very interesting, they move slowly and I think is why their were almost killed to extinction, I hear their very good to eat.

that’s crazy!
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: have you ever seen this kind of deer? - 09/09/20 03:42 AM

I have some old 35mm pics somewhere in storage of Pere David deer from that ranch. They are pretty big up close and get aggressive in the rut. I have a big male charge my truck one day when I cut him off a female he was chasing. About the only time they get in a hurry is during the rut...lol

Re: have you ever seen this kind of deer? - 09/09/20 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by stxranchman
I have some old 35mm pics somewhere in storage of Pere David deer from that ranch. They are pretty big up close and get aggressive in the rut. I have a big male charge my truck one day when I cut him off a female he was chasing. About the only time they get in a hurry is during the rut...lol

thank you for replying... i bet those pictures are awesome!
Posted By: Black02z28

Re: have you ever seen this kind of deer? - 09/09/20 02:23 PM

I have an uncle that has a bunch on his place, he was saying that it takes a several, several years before they start growing large racks. Goofy looking deer for sure
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: have you ever seen this kind of deer? - 09/09/20 02:43 PM

confused2

Re: have you ever seen this kind of deer? - 09/09/20 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Black02z28
I have an uncle that has a bunch on his place, he was saying that it takes a several, several years before they start growing large racks. Goofy looking deer for sure

yes very unique 😂!
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: have you ever seen this kind of deer? - 09/09/20 03:31 PM

We have a few Pere David and barasingha running around. It was hard for me to tell them apart at first.
Posted By: Dodge_Rock

Re: have you ever seen this kind of deer? - 09/09/20 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by lillygrace
i have never seen a père david’s deer until a few weeks ago... what intrigued me was how the antlers look like a stick! 😂

...and their head looks like a horse, tail from a donkey, feet from a cow+duck. smile

They were extinct in the wild until China let some go near the Yangtze river a few years ago. There's some behind a high fence near me - here's a 'couple':

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Adchunts

Re: have you ever seen this kind of deer? - 09/09/20 05:12 PM

Yup. Hunted a high fence north of New Braunfels that has a herd of Pere David. They stayed around the lake, and could usually be found buried in the mud.

May just be this herd, but didn’t seem like it would be much of a hunt. They would just stand there and look at you. All the other critters on the ranch would scram at the sound or sight of a vehicle or person.
Posted By: CSA81

Re: have you ever seen this kind of deer? - 09/09/20 05:56 PM

Yes, interesting deer for sure. Hunted a ranch in the hill country that had a few. I think they’re protected?
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: have you ever seen this kind of deer? - 09/09/20 05:58 PM

Beautiful animals
Posted By: HuntnFly67

Re: have you ever seen this kind of deer? - 09/09/20 06:02 PM

Always thought it looked like they had a big mule deer rack glued backwards on their skull.

Re: have you ever seen this kind of deer? - 09/09/20 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by Dodge_Rock
[quote=lillygrace]i have never seen a père david’s deer until a few weeks ago... what intrigued me was how the antlers look like a stick! 😂

...and their head looks like a horse, tail from a donkey, feet from a cow+duck. smile

They were extinct in the wild until China let some go near the Yangtze river a few years ago. There's some behind a high fence near me - here's a 'couple':
awesome picture!

Re: have you ever seen this kind of deer? - 09/09/20 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by Adchunts
Yup. Hunted a high fence north of New Braunfels that has a herd of Pere David. They stayed around the lake, and could usually be found buried in the mud.

May just be this herd, but didn’t seem like it would be much of a hunt. They would just stand there and look at you. All the other critters on the ranch would scram at the sound or sight of a vehicle or person.

i’m kind of there with you...😂
Posted By: MikeC

Re: have you ever seen this kind of deer? - 09/11/20 08:56 PM

Their antlers are very dense and heavy. They make some excellent scales for knife handles.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum