Texas Hunting Forum

Is this a Razorback?

Posted By: boxerdog

Is this a Razorback? - 08/13/20 02:14 PM

I have had a bunch of hogs on my property over the years but I had this guy and another hog look a bit different. Any chance these are razorbacks?

Attached picture 3C86D575-E3C5-4BA6-A1A4-786153B173AA.jpeg
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Is this a Razorback? - 08/13/20 02:19 PM

Yes.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feral_pig

Razorback and wild hog are American colloquialisms, loosely applied to any type of feral domestic pig, wild boar, or hybrid in North America; pure wild boar are sometimes called "Russian boar" or "Russian razorbacks". The term "razorback" has also appeared in Australia, to describe feral pigs there.
Posted By: TexasOutdoorsman

Re: Is this a Razorback? - 08/13/20 02:21 PM

All feral pigs are decedents of the Spanish explores bringing pigs with them. Then people brought Eurasians and “Russians” over for sport or farming and they obviously escaped and can cross bread with normal feral pigs.

Normal feral hog. All pigs can make the hair stand up slightly between there shoulders. Pigs with razor backs have Eurasian blood in them. They tend to be a brown color and piglets will be stripped instead of the normal black/brown/spotted.
Posted By: landsurveyor

Re: Is this a Razorback? - 08/13/20 02:51 PM

rifle
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Is this a Razorback? - 08/13/20 04:31 PM

there so inbred now it's hard to know the difference
Posted By: gary roberson

Re: Is this a Razorback? - 08/13/20 04:33 PM

Are you in Arkansas???
Adios,
Gary
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Is this a Razorback? - 08/14/20 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by gary roberson
Are you in Arkansas???
Adios,
Gary

I resemble that post.
Posted By: heredeer

Re: Is this a Razorback? - 08/14/20 02:21 AM

rifle
Posted By: gary roberson

Re: Is this a Razorback? - 08/14/20 01:32 PM

The YO Ranch imported some of the pure blood European hogs back in the 60's, I believe. When hunting some of the ranches in that area I still see some of the European influence, with erect, long hair from the poll on the head down the neck and ending mid back. While this boar seems to have a pretty heavy hair coat, he looks like most of the boar hogs I encounter across most of the country.
Adios,
Gary
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Is this a Razorback? - 08/14/20 02:01 PM

Here is a hog with a lot of European blood.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Is this a Razorback? - 08/14/20 02:40 PM

The way I was taught to tell if the hog had any European blood was to look the hair ends. Splits or multiple splits on a single strand will have European influence. Single strand will be a feral hog. Very few true European hogs live here anymore due to the crossing with the feral pigs. I do know of one ranch in South Texas that was actually breeding the true Russian Boars and releasing them on his HF ranch.
Posted By: NORML as can be

Re: Is this a Razorback? - 08/14/20 09:32 PM

clap
Posted By: eneat1119

Re: Is this a Razorback? - 08/17/20 02:31 PM

My buddy shot this one in East Texas back in 2012. Lot of European blood in him.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Biscuit

Re: Is this a Razorback? - 08/17/20 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by eneat1119
My buddy shot this one in East Texas back in 2012. Lot of European blood in him.

[Linked Image]

for sure
Posted By: bigjoe8565

Re: Is this a Razorback? - 08/18/20 03:24 AM

I killed boar in the bottom pic last Thursday and stuck the other last year with an arrow. I’d say they had some Russian/European genetics for sure.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Is this a Razorback? - 08/18/20 04:01 AM

A true European wild boar is quite an attractive animal

I would say that vast majority of these feral hogs here that have characteristics of European boar is the result of a recessive gene somewhere down the line surfacing and not a result of a higher % of euro blood compared to your run of the mill feral hog.

We killed one many years back that for a pig, was pretty handsome. Big cutters, sandy blonde hair, straight tail, “ razor back “ Mohawk. This was on a ranch where most hogs were black although we did have some white ones. Pretty much a Heinz 57 mix of swine blood and somehow we got a euro looking one. I’ve also killed a solid white pig that was full grown that looked almost like a small calf. Very long face
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum