Texas Hunting Forum

Anyone know what this is?

Posted By: shuh39

Anyone know what this is? - 05/14/20 03:33 PM

Probably a stupid question but I'm new to hunting and this was in the pocket of one of a hunting jacket I just ordered and I have no clue what it is or what it is for.

Attached picture 20200514_103045.jpg
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Anyone know what this is? - 05/14/20 03:36 PM

Crossbow cocking rope.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Anyone know what this is? - 05/14/20 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by hook_n_line
Crossbow cocking rope.

Never would have guessed.
Posted By: BayouGuy

Re: Anyone know what this is? - 05/14/20 03:40 PM

Which does double duty as a deer drag.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Anyone know what this is? - 05/14/20 03:40 PM

I never would have guessed until I bought a crossbow, but yeah that's what it is. It looks identical except string color to the one that came with my Excalibur.
Posted By: titan2232

Re: Anyone know what this is? - 05/14/20 03:45 PM

Crossbows are for pusses. Carry on

Re: Anyone know what this is? - 05/14/20 03:47 PM

Interesting
How do you use it as a deer drag? With an extra loop of rope?
Posted By: Old Rabbit

Re: Anyone know what this is? - 05/14/20 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by titan2232

May both of you shoulders require surgery at the same time. Just rub you A$$ on the carpet to get clean.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Anyone know what this is? - 05/14/20 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Old Rabbit

May both of you shoulders require surgery at the same time. Just rub you A$$ on the carpet to get clean.

up

Re: Anyone know what this is? - 05/14/20 04:36 PM

I'll stop bow hunting when that day comes
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Anyone know what this is? - 05/14/20 05:14 PM

A puss can't bow hunt?
Posted By: kry226

Re: Anyone know what this is? - 05/14/20 05:30 PM

Stay classy, Mr. Titan. up

Re: Anyone know what this is? - 05/14/20 05:33 PM

K
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Anyone know what this is? - 05/14/20 06:39 PM

You rang! grin

Re: Anyone know what this is? - 05/14/20 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by snake oil

You rang! grin

Expected more bite.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Anyone know what this is? - 05/14/20 08:25 PM

rolleyes
Posted By: QMC SW/EXW

Re: Anyone know what this is? - 05/14/20 08:53 PM

Crossbows have existed for more than 1000 years. That means they are a lot more traditional as a method of archery than your modern compound bow is. Kind of judgemental aren't you? Sure am glad you're not in charge of anything.
Posted By: ETexas Hunter

Re: Anyone know what this is? - 05/14/20 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by skinnerback

rolleyes

Re: Anyone know what this is? - 05/14/20 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by QMC SW/EXW

Crossbows have existed for more than 1000 years. That means they are a lot more traditional as a method of archery than your modern compound bow is. Kind of judgemental aren't you? Sure am glad you're not in charge of anything.

There's no comparison to crossbows, long bows, or any other bows from a 1000 years ago to what we have now. We are spoiled plain and simple.
Posted By: Stub

Re: Anyone know what this is? - 05/14/20 09:36 PM

Interesting subject "Crossbows allowed during archery season" kind of like the debate about whether to allow muzzle loaders start a month early also?

With technological advances that is almost as effective at killing big game from the same distance that most rifle hunters shoot,.
That is where the debate comes in, why should a Crossbow that shoots 480 FPS with supposedly tight groups at 100 yards and decent grouping a 200 yards, why grant them special start of the season?

Crossbows for people with disabilities makes sense.

ACULEUS CROSSBOW ACUdraw PACKAGE

The Aculeus is the fastest crossbow on earth at 480 FPS with 370 Grain arrow. Based on the tried and true ORION platform, the Aculeus features a non-folding butt stock with an ACUdraw Cocking Mechanism. This stock is nearly a half pound lighter than the folding stock on other Scorpyd Crossbow models. This new crossbow features the new Kempf Tech Integrated Trigger Housing.
Posted By: JCB

Re: Anyone know what this is? - 05/14/20 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by Stub
Interesting subject "Crossbows allowed during archery season" kind of like the debate about whether to allow muzzle loaders start a month early also?

With technological advances that is almost as effective at killing big game from the same distance that most rifle hunters shoot,.
That is where the debate comes in, why should a Crossbow that shoots 480 FPS with supposedly tight groups at 100 yards and decent grouping a 200 yards, why grant them special start of the season?

The Aculeus is the fastest crossbow on earth at 480 FPS with 370 Grain arrow. Based on the tried and true ORION platform, the Aculeus features a non-folding butt stock with an ACUdraw Cocking Mechanism. This stock is nearly a half pound lighter than the folding stock on other Scorpyd Crossbow models. This new crossbow features the new Kempf Tech Integrated Trigger Housing.

Crossbows may be accurate at 100+ yards but anyone shooting at an animal past 30 yards with one is foolish plain and simple. Crossbows are LOUD and the critters will string jump the hell out of one. At 32 yards I have seen a deer spin around 180 degrees and be hit on the opposite side of the body than the person was aiming. Last year I missed one of the biggest bucks I have ever had the opportunity at and it was only 28 yards. I really don't know what happened but feel very confident he string jumped the bow and I went right over his back. I could have made that shot in my sleep and it wasn't nerves that got me I can promise you that. A vertical bow has all the advantage at ranges past 30 yards due to how much more quiet they are. And if anyone thinks otherwise they haven't spent much time with both in their hands to know the truth.
Posted By: Stub

Re: Anyone know what this is? - 05/14/20 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by JCB
Originally Posted by Stub

Crossbows may be accurate at 100+ yards but anyone shooting at an animal past 30 yards with one is foolish plain and simple. Crossbows are LOUD and the critters will string jump the hell out of one. At 32 yards I have seen a deer spin around 180 degrees and be hit on the opposite side of the body than the person was aiming. Last year I missed one of the biggest bucks I have ever had the opportunity at and it was only 28 yards. I really don't know what happened but feel very confident he string jumped the bow and I went right over his back. I could have made that shot in my sleep and it wasn't nerves that got me I can promise you that. A vertical bow has all the advantage at ranges past 30 yards due to how much more quiet they are. And if anyone thinks otherwise they haven't spent much time with both in their hands to know the truth.

I have only shot a Crossbow once, it was one my dad brought home from overseas about 55 years ago when he was in the Army. It was small mainly wood and had a rope string, arrows were small and made out of wood. Probably good for small game like rabbits.
So I have no clue about modern ones pros or cons other than the little bit I see in in articles.
Posted By: jmh004

Re: Anyone know what this is? - 05/14/20 11:30 PM

Just to stoke the fire. If these crazy liberals take away guns like they would love to do sometime in the future, would crossbow hunting still be considered a "puss" thing to do?
Posted By: angus1956

Re: Anyone know what this is? - 05/14/20 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by shuh39
Probably a stupid question but I'm new to hunting and this was in the pocket of one of a hunting jacket I just ordered and I have no clue what it is or what it is for.

So your new jacket isn't new, or a returned item??
Posted By: Ratherbefishing

Re: Anyone know what this is? - 05/15/20 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by angus1956

My thought exactly!
Posted By: Old Rabbit

Re: Anyone know what this is? - 05/15/20 01:41 AM

We are archery only, so that is my only choice. Already had the right shoulder done twice and looking at having to get the left one done soon. I would much rather use my old compound or recurve. Way quieter and lighter and I still hunt at the same distance.

Re: Anyone know what this is? - 05/15/20 02:14 AM

Anyone that has seen a Montagnard shoot their crossbow would say they are killers. Silent killers.

Re: Anyone know what this is? - 05/15/20 05:26 AM

That's what I suspect now as well
This post changed a bit haha

Re: Anyone know what this is? - 05/15/20 05:46 AM

Yu cannot let it go to waste, so now you need to buy a crossbow. up
Posted By: Black02z28

Re: Anyone know what this is? - 05/15/20 03:03 PM

Cool, the elitist bowhunter has entered the thread. rolleyes
Posted By: Hunt Dog

Re: Anyone know what this is? - 05/15/20 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Ratherbefishing

My thought exactly!

Me three. I wondered how long it would take for someone to ask. But we had to pause for a hijacking.
Posted By: bigdavehunting

Re: Anyone know what this is? - 05/15/20 04:35 PM

[quote=titan2232]Crossbows are for pusses.

Interesting coming from someone who drives a Nissan Titan.
Posted By: vabeagler

Re: Anyone know what this is? - 05/15/20 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by bigdavehunting

clap
Posted By: Blank

Re: Anyone know what this is? - 05/15/20 05:07 PM

Liar!! smile
Posted By: breadman

Re: Anyone know what this is? - 05/16/20 12:10 AM

what difference does it make what you use as long as your hunting !!
Posted By: JustWingem

Re: Anyone know what this is? - 05/17/20 05:18 AM

Spoken from experience?
Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Re: Anyone know what this is? - 05/17/20 01:27 PM

Sir, how does a statement like that bring new hunters into hunting?

Re: Anyone know what this is? - 05/18/20 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by TEXASLEFTY

Sir, how does a statement like that bring new hunters into hunting?

Take it easy just stirring the pot. Get out there and hunt anyway you can.

Re: Anyone know what this is? - 05/18/20 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by vabeagler
Originally Posted by bigdavehunting

clap

[Linked Image]
Posted By: TARUGS

Re: Anyone know what this is? - 05/18/20 02:46 PM

Looks like Borat's mankini.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum