Texas Hunting Forum

He ate his last egg

Posted By: angus1956

He ate his last egg - 04/30/20 03:16 AM

Was changing the straw in the laying boxes and pulling it out by hand into a bucket. Reached into the second box and began pulling out the straw. For some reason straw would not pull out. This bad boy was under the straw. I reached in 3 times before I knew what was going on. YIKES!!!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Big8

Re: He ate his last egg - 04/30/20 03:20 AM

Fought those thieves for many years up
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: He ate his last egg - 04/30/20 05:24 AM

cheers
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: He ate his last egg - 04/30/20 11:33 AM

Big ol rat snake....
Posted By: TKandMike

Re: He ate his last egg - 04/30/20 12:54 PM

That's an impressive snake. wonder how long he'd been freeloading
Posted By: Stub

Re: He ate his last egg - 04/30/20 12:55 PM

Egg futures are safe now up
Posted By: LeonCarr

Re: He ate his last egg - 04/30/20 01:14 PM

Probably not the first time that snake had been in a hen house, but it will be the last time.

Good Job!

Just my .02,
LeonCarr
Posted By: janie

Re: He ate his last egg - 04/30/20 01:32 PM

Holy moly, I prolly would've pee'd my britches.

Re: He ate his last egg - 04/30/20 01:36 PM

In the spring each year one shows up. Gonna start putting a few golf balls in the boxes and let them eat thoes. grin
Posted By: kry226

Re: He ate his last egg - 04/30/20 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by SnakeWrangler
Big ol rat snake....

Never seen a rat snake in that color phase. eeks333
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: He ate his last egg - 04/30/20 04:41 PM

Dang John I might not have recognized you with that beard. Good job on the egg thief!
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: He ate his last egg - 04/30/20 05:14 PM

Wow.
Posted By: redhaze

Re: He ate his last egg - 04/30/20 05:25 PM

Yikes!

Re: He ate his last egg - 04/30/20 05:29 PM

Bobby,

I was part of a RIF last August, they let 25 of us go and when your 64 no one wants you (For work that is).
So shaving isn't part of my daily routine, first time growing a beard and I like it!
Posted By: TCM3

Re: He ate his last egg - 04/30/20 05:36 PM

up
Posted By: aerangis

Re: He ate his last egg - 04/30/20 05:59 PM

Got a few big ones like that around here. I'd have crapped my pants if I reached in a nesting box in a hen house expecting a fresh egg and grabbed that big boy instead.

I don't raise chickens and having had a couple of high dollar repairs from rats chewing the wiring in vehicles, I leave them alone. Having a few snakes around to deal with the rodents is ok if it saves the time and expense of more high dollar repairs.
Posted By: Big_Ag

Re: He ate his last egg - 04/30/20 10:29 PM

I use rat bait stations around the cabin and barn. Reduces the mice and rats which in turn reduces the number of snakes frequenting the area.

That is a big ol' rat snake angus! I would have not only messed by britches, but squealed like a little girl if I'd of been reaching around and found that thing hiding in the straw.
Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: He ate his last egg - 04/30/20 10:53 PM

Chicken snakes never get a pass from me. They are hard on the bird population and I like to bird hunt.

Re: He ate his last egg - 05/01/20 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by Big_Ag
I use rat bait stations around the cabin and barn. Reduces the mice and rats which in turn reduces the number of snakes frequenting the area.

That is a big ol' rat snake angus! I would have not only messed by britches, but squealed like a little girl if I'd of been reaching around and found that thing hiding in the straw.

My cat like reflex days are behind be but these legs arnt going to let this body get in trouble. I always look before reaching in but this snake was hiding below the straw, not what I was expecting.

Wife said she is done collecting eggs confused2
Posted By: JCO

Re: He ate his last egg - 05/01/20 02:05 AM

That big boy could hold a lot of eggs.
Posted By: hogwart

Re: He ate his last egg - 05/01/20 07:48 AM

So what was the problem, it looks pretty dead to me. bolt

I can't even imagine encountering a snake like that. One thing about living up here, the only snakes around here are small garter snakes.
They might be able to swallow a Robin egg but even those would be a huge meal for one of our snakes.

Honestly, I am very okay with that. Don't need no man eating snakes round here. No sir!
Posted By: NORML as can be

Re: He ate his last egg - 05/05/20 04:56 AM

cheers
Posted By: heredeer

Re: He ate his last egg - 05/05/20 03:16 PM

up
Posted By: chalet

Re: He ate his last egg - 05/05/20 03:28 PM

Nice. Never forget when I was little we had a big chicken house and I was gathering eggs after dark one night. Things were fine til I reached in a box and grabbed a chicken snake - never did that after dark again.
Posted By: Ringtail

Re: He ate his last egg - 05/05/20 08:59 PM

What would have REALLY terrified you would have been feeling it bite you! Those Texas rat snakes have bad tempers. I probably caught 50 of them in my lifetime and they will bite and draw blood with their little hooked back teeth. It would have been really scary until you saw that it wasn't a copperhead or worse yet a rattler!
Posted By: LG

Re: He ate his last egg - 05/05/20 09:52 PM

up
Posted By: NDN98

Re: He ate his last egg - 05/06/20 12:47 AM

Good snake to have around, as long as they aren't thieving eggs.
Posted By: Reloder28

Re: He ate his last egg - 05/08/20 02:34 AM

He wouldn’t have bothered you.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: He ate his last egg - 05/09/20 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by chalet
Nice. Never forget when I was little we had a big chicken house and I was gathering eggs after dark one night. Things were fine til I reached in a box and grabbed a chicken snake - never did that after dark again.

yep, at supper mom would ask (knowing I hadn't) did you get the eggs, go the chicken house after dark, no flashlight, never a snake, but once a possum, I wet myself
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: He ate his last egg - 05/10/20 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by colt45
Originally Posted by chalet

yep, at supper mom would ask (knowing I hadn't) did you get the eggs, go the chicken house after dark, no flashlight, never a snake, but once a possum, I wet myself

How old were you....I probably would have too.... rofl
Posted By: CitySlickerHunter

Re: He ate his last egg - 05/10/20 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by janie
Holy moly, I prolly would've pee'd my britches.
X2!
bolt
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum