Texas Hunting Forum

Winter Wonderland

Posted By: Hirogen

Winter Wonderland - 11/18/19 11:20 PM

All my deer tags are filled so it's time to switch to ice fishing prep. Speaking of which we went up to our place close to Restoule and there is 8 to 10 inches of snow on the ground and the lake is completely frozen with 4 to 6 inches of ice on the back bays. Had to use the chainsaw to get water (water system is winterized already) for dishes. Driveway which is a mile long was only passable by truck for the first 3/8 mile. After that bent/downed trees were an issue (about 50 of them spread out over the last 5/8 mile). Fortunately I decided to bring the sleds just in case and they were able to snake around or under all of them. I went back out Saturday afternoon and cleared them all out but I am sure there will be more. A few pics from the weekend:

As far as we made it with the truck:

[Linked Image]

The wife and i on our machines about to head in:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

About every 100 feet or so after the first 3/8 mile was like this:

[Linked Image]

Sunrise this morning. Looks like open water further out but it's not. Hard, clear ice.

[Linked Image]

Cutting holes for water. Ice in close was mostly grey but transitioned to clear the further out you went.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Winter Wonderland - 11/18/19 11:31 PM

Wow. I love your pictorials. It looks very cold there. I'm sitting in my deer stand in about 70 degree weather. I've seen your cabin and it is snug. Show us a pic of it with smoke coming out the chimney.
Posted By: Stub

Re: Winter Wonderland - 11/18/19 11:35 PM

Hirogen you are a lucky man, your have a lovely wife and I love her hair. Cool pictures as always up
Posted By: erathar

Re: Winter Wonderland - 11/19/19 02:27 AM

Originally Posted by Stub
Hirogen you are a lucky man, your have a lovely wife and I love her hair. Cool pictures as always up

Absolutely.
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: Winter Wonderland - 11/19/19 02:29 AM

I have been looking forward to an update from you. That is awesome Sir and great pics as always
Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Re: Winter Wonderland - 11/19/19 04:52 AM

Yep, always enjoy your threads!

Thanks for posting!
Posted By: Lakhota

Re: Winter Wonderland - 11/19/19 12:05 PM

Been wondering where you were, always enjoy the pictures.
Posted By: NDN98

Re: Winter Wonderland - 11/19/19 01:03 PM

coolpics Looks a little chilly!
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Winter Wonderland - 11/19/19 01:09 PM

living the good life
Posted By: Walkabout

Re: Winter Wonderland - 11/19/19 01:16 PM

Reminds me why I live in south TEXAS.....dayum.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Winter Wonderland - 11/19/19 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by 2Beez
I have been looking forward to an update from you. That is awesome Sir and great pics as always
Posted By: TKandMike

Re: Winter Wonderland - 11/19/19 03:17 PM

great pictures
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Winter Wonderland - 11/20/19 05:04 PM

cheers
Posted By: Choctaw

Re: Winter Wonderland - 11/21/19 09:10 PM

Always great threads. up
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Winter Wonderland - 11/22/19 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by erathar
Originally Posted by Stub

Absolutely.

X2
Posted By: Dry Fire

Re: Winter Wonderland - 11/22/19 08:14 PM

Where are the fishing pictures?!
Posted By: Wytex

Re: Winter Wonderland - 11/22/19 09:11 PM

Nice pics!
Your snow must be much wetter than ours as the track on those sleds are not very long, 163 s and up are common here. However, perhaps the second seat makes them look shorter.

Re: Winter Wonderland - 11/22/19 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by Dry Fire
Where are the fishing pictures?!

Walleye, Pike and trout open on January 01. Only thing open right now is Perch. There is enough ice to fish on foot but still not enough for snowmobiles.
Posted By: NORML as can be

Re: Winter Wonderland - 11/22/19 10:56 PM

P e a c e

Re: Winter Wonderland - 11/22/19 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by Wytex
Nice pics!
Your snow must be much wetter than ours as the track on those sleds are not very long, 163 s and up are common here. However, perhaps the second seat makes them look shorter.

Our snow is highly variable. Everything from bone dry to soggy. On the average the snowpack is somewhere in between. The track on both those machines are 156. The white one's track is 16 inches wide and the red one is a super wide at 24 inches. Both machines have ski skins and full armour/plates for floatation and protection off trail. Red is a 900cc Skandic and the white is a 900cc Expedition. Neither gets used too much on groomed trails, mostly back country ice-fishing. Skandic is the trail buster with the super wide and also does the heavy towing as it has a 2 range transmission.
Posted By: redhaze

Re: Winter Wonderland - 11/22/19 11:18 PM

Very nice pictures, thanks for sharing.
Posted By: nsmike

Re: Winter Wonderland - 11/23/19 03:16 AM

We're a few weeks behind you! It looks like we'll get a little bit on Thanksgiving, but there's a second storm behind that one, that's likely to bring in the winter wonderland. Northern Minnesota already starting to see it.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum