Texas Hunting Forum

OPENING WEEK 2019

Posted By: dlrz71

OPENING WEEK 2019 - 11/11/19 02:41 AM

I spent the last week at the lease starting last Friday. I hunted opening weekend then came home for my kids school event and then headed right back Monday afternoon and made it back home today. There were a couple of bucks taken opening morning with one being a very nice buck and a great buck taken that evening (I'm sure he'll post his pics soon grin)

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Opening morning I was able to get my revenge on a spotted boar that I had missed a few weeks earlier along with a sow that made the mistake of stopping behind the spotted boar after I had dropped him in the road. You might recognize the pics as I posted them with the video I posted earlier this week. I also took another sow opening evening.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Wednesday morning came and as I was sitting in my box stand I could see a pig eating some road corn way at about 200 or so yards before shooting light and could only see him through the binoculars. After waiting for what seemed like forever it finally started to get light enough to see him through the scope. I kept waiting for him to turn broadside but he just kept facing me eating the corn that was in one of the tire tracks in the road. Finally I just lined up and got ready for him to turn his head slightly and when he did I sent the 110gr Nosler Accubond 6.8 round right into the neck and between the shoulders. He dropped immediately and began flopping around. Not knowing exactly how good the shot was I got back on him and put another one right into the chest cavity.

After the morning hunt I finally went to check out my pig and he was much bigger than I anticipated with the low light conditions. I immediately saw the big shoulders and knew he was gonna be a big boy. He ended up being just shy of 190#'s.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

It began raining in the early morning on Thursday and drizzled pretty much all day until around 4pm. I ended up leaving out a little early around 2 when it was a little lighter and got settled into my stand. Just before dark I had 2 small boars at my North feeder. I got setup and with a stout and cold North wind it began biting on my off hand and even began getting tears in my eyes from looking into the wind rofl As I kept waiting for them to line up for a possible double I couldn't stand it anymore and just lined up on the bigger of the 2. I let one rip and saw the other one bolt and watched the one I had lined up on circle around and run back behind the feeder. I loaded up my stuff and made my way to my feeder. I looked for some blood but nothing at where he was standing. Being cold and wet I decided to just head back to camp for the night!!!. After the next morning hunt I found him about 30 yards behind my feeder in the brush.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: dlrz71

Re: OPENING WEEK 2019 - 11/11/19 02:41 AM

I got a tractor rim from one of my cousins for a fire pit and had our first of many campfires in it. We didn't make a very big fire but man that rim put off some radiant heat.

[Linked Image]

In the blink of an eye opening week was coming to an end. My brother had made it down Thursday night and hunted hard for a buck we call Splits but he was a no show. He passed on a couple of nice bucks but is holding out for the time being. This morning we both had pigs come in and I dropped a black and white boar under my main bow feeder which ended up being in a mud hole bang and he dropped a small boar shortly after me so we ended with a double on hogs.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

my brothers

[Linked Image]

Until next time........ cheers
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: OPENING WEEK 2019 - 11/11/19 03:38 AM

You did some lease cleaning! up
Posted By: pdawg

Re: OPENING WEEK 2019 - 11/11/19 03:39 AM

Very nice weekend u had
Posted By: TKandMike