Texas Hunting Forum

Got my goat yesterday.

Posted By: Creekrunner

Got my goat yesterday. - 08/30/19 12:12 AM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Got my goat yesterday. - 08/30/19 12:14 AM

Nice one...where were you? Stalk? How far was the shot? How long did it take to pick the one you wanted?

Details man....we need details!

Congrats cheers
Posted By: Erny

Re: Got my goat yesterday. - 08/30/19 12:22 AM

Nice. New Mexico?????
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Got my goat yesterday. - 08/30/19 12:23 AM

Nice goat, those are fun to hunt, and can taste very good
Posted By: Michael W.

Re: Got my goat yesterday. - 08/30/19 12:43 AM

Good trophy, congrats.
Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Re: Got my goat yesterday. - 08/30/19 12:51 AM

Congrats!!!!

Love the rifle!!!!

Details?!?!?!?
Posted By: dlrz71

Re: Got my goat yesterday. - 08/30/19 01:11 AM

Nice. Congrats!!
Posted By: RattlesnakeDan

Re: Got my goat yesterday. - 08/30/19 01:41 AM

Very cool....love chasing those speed goats. What Caliber and how far?
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Got my goat yesterday. - 08/30/19 01:45 AM

'Sorry, I thought I'd clicked "Preview", then the wife said supper was ready and I left. That's what half a martini will do at my age after driving 553 miles.

You say details. I tell the whole dam truth, not a lotta inflated BS to puff up my own chest. This buck didn't die like I'd of liked and it's my own fault, but that IS hunting.

Just outside Nara Visa, NM with Jeremy Gugelmeyer's brother Jared as a guide and Jared's son was along to help. I've wanted to kill another Pronghorn for many years, but family responsibilities wouldn't allow it the last several years, and, I'd grown tired of putting in for the TPWD draw hunts.

I also wanted to take one with my old Pre '64 Win. in .243, that I bought it used and several of the kids have taken deer with. (I bought used off of Gunbroker and is the only rifle I immediately took to a gunsmith to have thoroughly cleaned.) It's my "old reliable" that shoots better than I do. In hindsight, I should have gone with a little more updated tech, at least as far as the scope is concerned. (Simple Leupold 3X9.) I really thought we'd find something that would stand under 200. 'Turns out, the one that stood at about 200 (that I announced to the group was there...for the 3rd time chasing that buck), I couldn't beat the other hunter out of the pickup! ' roflmao Guy outa Dallas, "long range shooter", expensive custom rifle, 25X Nightforce scope, shoots once a week, yada, yada. (He pulled the shot about 10" to the left, but, at least it dropped and died quickly from a neck wound.)

Next day we watch two bucks on the neighbors, then they finally cross the fence, then we drive up the fence line very slowly and this guy is standing on a ridge, facing us. I get out on the hood, with my case as a pad, and wait for him to turn. The guide says he's at 336. I put the crosshairs at the beginning of daylight over his shoulder and squeeze. Turns out, I shoulda held a lot higher. The guide says I shot over him, but all 3 of us ("Dallas" was on to the next thing to check off his list) heard a "thump". The buck runs about 20 yards (no flinch or stumble) and then walks over the ridge out of sight. We drive on around the ridge and later see him and his buddy walking along the ridge. The guide puts the spotting scope on him and says, "He's got blood all over his front legs and he's holding his head down. You hit him." I think you can surmise what my response was.

We figure he's headed to water and ease around towards the windmill, stopping once to watch them mill around and walk kind of towards the windmill. All of this observation is at about 500 yards or more, in drizzle.

From a ways behind the windmill the guide sees him bedded. We watch him for a looong time and then he gets up, stumbles takes a few steps, stumbles and falls over. We walk over to where we think he is, and he jumps up about 30 yards from the guide's son (we'd fanned out trying to find him). The guide waves us towards him while the buck is trotting, the kid puts up the trigger sticks, the guide says "220", the buck stops for a second and looks back, and I fire. The buck then hauls arse and I do a Hail Mary. The buck drops. We walk slowly up, and he's dead. No, I didn't hit on the 3rd with a Texas heart shot, but, from what we can figure, I hit him again on shot #2. 3 hours later and 1&1/4 mile from the first shot. He never ran a long ways, but who knows how much adrenalin was going through that meat. We'll see. I apologized to him and thanked God for his life. One lung was completely shredded with a lot of other damage, when that happened, we couldn't decide.

You asked for details...thanks for your interest.
Posted By: erathar

Re: Got my goat yesterday. - 08/30/19 01:45 AM

Congrats. Nice looking pronghorn. It happens. I'd love to take a pronghorn.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Got my goat yesterday. - 08/30/19 01:52 AM

Fantastic and congrats.
I love hunting pronghorns.
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Got my goat yesterday. - 08/30/19 01:59 AM

up
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Got my goat yesterday. - 08/30/19 02:06 AM

Great goat, love the character.

Hunting is humbling, but worth it. End result was fine animal. Congrats again
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: Got my goat yesterday. - 08/30/19 02:16 AM

Great read CR cheers Congrats on a hell of a goat.
Posted By: RattlesnakeDan

Re: Got my goat yesterday. - 08/30/19 02:17 AM

Good story....that is hunting!
Posted By: Mako My Day

Re: Got my goat yesterday. - 08/30/19 02:37 AM

Great story, and persistence pays off, congrats.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Got my goat yesterday. - 08/30/19 11:10 AM

Congrats on a beautiful antelope Kent. cheers
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Got my goat yesterday. - 08/30/19 12:08 PM

Very nice, Congratulations. up
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Got my goat yesterday. - 08/30/19 12:45 PM

Congrats! Glad you got your goat.
Posted By: onlysmith&wesson

Re: Got my goat yesterday. - 08/30/19 01:05 PM

That's hunting right there. Good job staying after him and sealing the deal. Yeah, a lot of DRT stories, but any hunter that puts in a life time, season after season will have this happen. I want to do this some day, I love whitetail hunting but after 50 years of it I 'm needing a new challenge.
Posted By: Stub

Re: Got my goat yesterday. - 08/30/19 01:24 PM

Great story and nice Buck cheers It probably would not have been near as interesting of a trip if the first day, first hour a goat steps out at a 100 yards and you drop him then you become a spectator for the rest of the time.
Posted By: EddieWalker

Re: Got my goat yesterday. - 08/30/19 01:38 PM

Congratulations
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Got my goat yesterday. - 08/30/19 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Mako My Day
Great story, and persistence pays off, congrats.

Well done good Sir.... up
Posted By: gary roberson

Re: Got my goat yesterday. - 08/30/19 01:42 PM

Congratulations!
Adios,
Gary
Posted By: Whack n stack

Re: Got my goat yesterday. - 08/30/19 02:52 PM

congrats!
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Got my goat yesterday. - 08/30/19 03:40 PM

up
Posted By: Western

Re: Got my goat yesterday. - 08/30/19 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by erathar
Congrats. Nice looking pronghorn. It happens. I'd love to take a pronghorn.

Posted By: Theringworm

Re: Got my goat yesterday. - 08/31/19 04:50 PM

Great job sir. Beautiful goat.
Posted By: Grizz

Re: Got my goat yesterday. - 09/01/19 02:20 AM

Congrats on a fine looking trophy!
Posted By: kry226

Re: Got my goat yesterday. - 09/01/19 03:33 AM

Congrats, sir! up cheers
Posted By: NDN98

Re: Got my goat yesterday. - 09/01/19 03:13 PM

congrats!