Texas Hunting Forum

BUZZZZZZZZZ

Posted By: dlrz71

BUZZZZZZZZZ - 08/27/19 03:42 PM

Walking down the ranch road back to the truck after the morning hunt and you hear that distinct buzzzz!! Looked over to see this in a small mesquite bolt I am not sure if it was in the mesquite already or if we just happened upon each other at the same time.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: BUZZZZZZZZZ - 08/27/19 04:06 PM

Nice Fat one.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: BUZZZZZZZZZ - 08/27/19 04:10 PM

At least he gave you a warning.
Posted By: Stub

Re: BUZZZZZZZZZ - 08/27/19 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by fouzman
At least he gave you a warning.

Great pictures of a mad Hombre up
Posted By: Scott W

Re: BUZZZZZZZZZ - 08/27/19 04:29 PM

That's scary and my biggest fear about taking my kids to the lease. My son is 8 and has been going there for half his life and we always talk about watching where you step and paying attention but we are still 45 minutes from a hospital if something does happen. My daughter will likely start going this year so she will have to learn that everything out there can either bit you or has thorns that will stick you!
Posted By: Breath-Taker Whitetails

Re: BUZZZZZZZZZ - 08/27/19 04:44 PM

He would have died from the smell had it been me

Re: BUZZZZZZZZZ - 08/27/19 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by Scott W
That's scary and my biggest fear about taking my kids to the lease. My son is 8 and has been going there for half his life and we always talk about watching where you step and paying attention but we are still 45 minutes from a hospital if something does happen. My daughter will likely start going this year so she will have to learn that everything out there can either bit you or has thorns that will stick you!

Yup and this snake wasn't in the road and I was watching where I was going. Bad thing is snake boots for kids aren't very tall and even my Chippewas I feel might not be tall enough on a really large snake. I wore my snake boots all but maybe 3 times last year when temps were below freezing.
Posted By: jakebunch

Re: BUZZZZZZZZZ - 08/27/19 07:18 PM

I have never seen a rattler in a bush like that. It looks like he could have struck well above snake boots.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: BUZZZZZZZZZ - 08/27/19 07:26 PM

you're like me. you just couldn't keep from messing with it. Great photos
probably had a bunny in its tummy
Posted By: NORML as can be

Did you blow his head off?
Posted By: unclebubba

You didn't feed him any lead?
Posted By: Dalee7892

Re: BUZZZZZZZZZ - 08/27/19 11:00 PM

I had A friend That took stove pipe put leather straps on them to hold together and to strap to his belt. They went from his crotch to just above his knees above snake boots.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: BUZZZZZZZZZ - 08/27/19 11:01 PM

Great pics!

Re: BUZZZZZZZZZ - 08/27/19 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by jakebunch
I have never seen a rattler in a bush like that. It looks like he could have struck well above snake boots.

It is actually not in the small mesquite but it is laying on the ground and is raised up ready to strike. I am almost certain with how it all went down was the snake was actually making its way to the road and was near that small mesquite as I approached and when I stepped close enough it rattled and raised up ready for action.

Re: BUZZZZZZZZZ - 08/27/19 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by Buzzsaw

My brother started messing with it first and let it get into some scrub brush. It took me a little bit to finally get it where I could get under it and into the road. It was pretty wore out and after a few pics we left it alone and let it get back on its way.
Posted By: JCB

Re: BUZZZZZZZZZ - 08/27/19 11:15 PM

Come on man......we need to know if you killed him!! clap
Posted By: Michael W.

Re: BUZZZZZZZZZ - 08/27/19 11:15 PM

Where is the after photo. After you shot his head off.
Posted By: NORML as can be

Re: BUZZZZZZZZZ - 08/27/19 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by JCB

"It was pretty wore out and after a few pics we left it alone and let it get back on its way." bang

Re: BUZZZZZZZZZ - 08/27/19 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by NORML as can be
Originally Posted by JCB

"It was pretty wore out and after a few pics we left it alone and let it get back on its way." bang

rofl
Posted By: HWY_MAN

Re: BUZZZZZZZZZ - 08/28/19 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by dlrz71
Originally Posted by Scott W

Yup and this snake wasn't in the road and I was watching where I was going. Bad thing is snake boots for kids aren't very tall and even my Chippewas I feel might not be tall enough on a really large snake. I wore my snake boots all but maybe 3 times last year when temps were below freezing.

I was hit right behind the knee by a Western Diamondback just over 5 ft long, the bite is 21 inches from the floor, boot heel takes up an inch of that.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: BUZZZZZZZZZ - 08/28/19 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by flintknapper
Nice Fat one.

Originally Posted by dlrz71
Originally Posted by Buzzsaw

My brother started messing with it first and let it get into some scrub brush. It took me a little bit to finally get it where I could get under it and into the road. It was pretty wore out and after a few pics we left it alone and let it get back on its way.

Very nice...glad ya didn't kill it.... up
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: BUZZZZZZZZZ - 08/28/19 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by Dalee7892
I had A friend That took stove pipe put leather straps on them to hold together and to strap to his belt. They went from his crotch to just above his knees above snake boots.

roflmao After I heard what each dose of the anti-venom costs, and that it usually takes 4 and insurance MAY cover 2...and IF you make it to the hospital, I am right there with him. up
Posted By: Stompy

Re: BUZZZZZZZZZ - 08/28/19 02:16 AM

Very nice...glad ya didn't kill it.... up[/quote]

up
Posted By: Schpanky

Re: BUZZZZZZZZZ - 08/28/19 08:19 PM

as deep as the grass has been out there the last few years i have been concerned about the height of my snake boots as well....we never step out of the truck without them. as the pic shows, they're so perfectly camo'd you're only going to see them if they move or rattle....makes me wonder how many we just walk over in the deep grass.....one snake we did come upon was sitting on top of grass that was laid over, which put him about 6" above ground so not sure my snake boots would protect from that
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: BUZZZZZZZZZ - 08/28/19 08:31 PM

good to let live...

Re: BUZZZZZZZZZ - 08/28/19 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by Schpanky
as deep as the grass has been out there the last few years i have been concerned about the height of my snake boots as well....we never step out of the truck without them. as the pic shows, they're so perfectly camo'd you're only going to see them if they move or rattle....makes me wonder how many we just walk over in the deep grass.....one snake we did come upon was sitting on top of grass that was laid over, which put him about 6" above ground so not sure my snake boots would protect from that

Thought the same thing. Grass was well above knee high to waist high this year in places. No telling how many we don't even know are there or how close they are.
Posted By: redhaze

Re: BUZZZZZZZZZ - 08/28/19 08:33 PM

Wow, he's a pretty good size.
Posted By: Trenton

Re: BUZZZZZZZZZ - 08/28/19 10:21 PM

After seeing the size of that fat snake in the pictures and finding out he went on his way with zero lead, I am protesting this thread!

trout
Posted By: RANGERRONG

Re: BUZZZZZZZZZ - 08/28/19 10:45 PM

please tell me you shot that thing

Re: BUZZZZZZZZZ - 08/29/19 01:52 AM

Originally Posted by Trenton
After seeing the size of that fat snake in the pictures and finding out he went on his way with zero lead, I am protesting this thread!

trout

Originally Posted by RANGERRONG
please tell me you shot that thing

sorry to disappoint!! grin
Posted By: heredeer

Re: BUZZZZZZZZZ - 08/29/19 04:09 AM

confused2
Posted By: mow

Re: BUZZZZZZZZZ - 09/02/19 09:30 PM

i will probab;y be the first one bitten on our lease..buy i only wear nothing but my tenny shoes..an old worn out pair..but after seeing this i broke down and wore my regular camo hunting boots..............and shorts and a shirt!

Re: BUZZZZZZZZZ - 09/03/19 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by mow
i will probab;y be the first one bitten on our lease..buy i only wear nothing but my tenny shoes..an old worn out pair..but after seeing this i broke down and wore my regular camo hunting boots..............and shorts and a shirt!

Just be extra aware. They have or are about to have their babies right now.
Posted By: D Rogers

Re: BUZZZZZZZZZ - 09/03/19 12:28 PM

geez man, no thanks!
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: BUZZZZZZZZZ - 09/04/19 05:06 AM

Killed one I camp last week under our container. They like to come out at dusk. They replaced the copperhead infestation we used to have there. Always wear snake boots. I rather my kids stay at camp when we do feeder work since grass is so high now. My boy has almost stepped on two over the years so he wears gators when out. We had a guy snake hunt our place this past spring and got a few. Looked like 30 to 40 in his box. I have encountered close to 25 myself just walking around. I leave them alone outside of camp.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum