Texas Hunting Forum

In my stand

Posted By: Michael W.

In my stand - 08/10/19 01:33 AM

JCB's post about the spiders in his stand reminded me of what I found some years ago. I kept seeing lady bugs all over the inside of my blind. I noticed some of them crawling down the wall and into the carpet. When I pulled back the carpet this is what I found. There were hundreds of them. I suppose they were trying to stay warm under the carpet.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Erny

Re: In my stand - 08/10/19 01:57 AM

I hunt in northeast Texas and the first cold snap in November we get them bad!!!
Posted By: TrackQuack

Re: In my stand - 08/10/19 02:46 AM

Asian Lady Beetles https://plunketts.net/blog/ladybugs-vs-asian-lady-beetles/

I have one hunting spot in Navarro County. It is amazing how many will enter a trailer in the winter, hundreds. A lot of work cleaning them up, they will find any unsealed area.
Posted By: krmitchell

Re: In my stand - 08/10/19 02:54 AM

Better than finding this. [Linked Image]
Posted By: heredeer

Re: In my stand - 08/10/19 10:41 AM

Lots better !!!
Posted By: Michael W.

Re: In my stand - 08/10/19 12:51 PM

Found the owls before in south Texas. What a stinking mess. Someone on another forum also said these likely are Asian bugs. I can't tell the difference from the photo.
Posted By: Bullfrog

Re: In my stand - 08/10/19 05:01 PM

It’s a feminist ladybug rally roflmao

Re: In my stand - 08/10/19 05:03 PM

And I can handle creepy, in fact it’s kinda my thing but the baby owls staring you in the face, swaying back and forth when you’re 15’ up a ladder is almost at my creepy limit. Ugly little critters
Posted By: Judd

Re: In my stand - 08/11/19 03:20 AM

Originally Posted by Bullfrog
And I can handle creepy, in fact it’s kinda my thing but the baby owls staring you in the face, swaying back and forth when you’re 15’ up a ladder is almost at my creepy limit. Ugly little critters

FIFY
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: In my stand - 08/11/19 03:41 AM

Originally Posted by Judd

FIFY

rofl
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: In my stand - 08/11/19 03:42 AM

I would rather have lady bugs than yellowjackets.
Posted By: tophorsecop

Re: In my stand - 08/11/19 04:58 PM

Owlets are the ugly ducklings of the Birds of Prey world, like you said wobbly and gangly and almost stork-ish in appearance...but so amazing when full feathered...one of the Native American words for owl translates to "silent death"...an owl sighting was a sign that death was near...hopefully the death of a nice buck!
Posted By: mow

Re: In my stand - 08/11/19 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by krmitchell

are these owls or buzzards? when i was about 13 in ponder texas we had an old church that every spring i would get a baby coon out of the walls..well one spring i was gonna get me a pet buzzard..hey it was before girls..and the dang thangs vomited all over me..stinkiest thing i ever smelled

Re: In my stand - 08/11/19 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by mow

are these owls or buzzards? when i was about 13 in ponder texas we had an old church that every spring i would get a baby coon out of the walls..well one spring i was gonna get me a pet buzzard..hey it was before girls..and the dang thangs vomited all over me..stinkiest thing i ever smelled

Owls. I’ll try to find a pic when they were a bit older.

Re: In my stand - 08/11/19 10:36 PM

Here is the last one before he left the nest. Our hunters left them in there and let them grow until they flew off them did some serious cleaning. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Bmnloader

Re: In my stand - 08/11/19 10:43 PM

Nasty thing to have in a blind. We pulled one blind over so we could power wash it was so bad. i now have catches on all the windows.
Posted By: JCB

Re: In my stand - 08/11/19 11:20 PM

Believe It or not Lady Bugs do bite. It feels like a mild ant bite. Seems like the farther south west you go the more you find.

Re: In my stand - 08/12/19 02:07 AM

Well, Momma’s providing good for them, that’s for sure
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: In my stand - 08/12/19 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by JCB
Believe It or not Lady Bugs do bite. It feels like a mild ant bite. Seems like the farther south west you go the more you find.

Asian LBs bite. Native do not.
Posted By: JCB

Re: In my stand - 08/12/19 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by Pitchfork Predator
Originally Posted by JCB

Asian LBs bite. Native do not.

I am no bug expert but those sure look like Asians to me. They are well known for swarms like that.
Posted By: ZK-315

Re: In my stand - 08/12/19 08:58 PM

Try having fish in your blind.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: freerange

Re: In my stand - 08/13/19 01:23 AM

Agreed. The first time you ever peek in and see them swaying back and forth and making that weird weird noise itll throw you for a loop.
Posted By: Reloder28

Re: In my stand - 08/17/19 10:18 AM

In the Hill Country the Ringtail Cats will chew a hole thru the blind & stake their claim. Climb the ladder in the dark, swing the door open over your head & you are face to face with him. They don’t take too kindly to you trespassing their abode. One of many reasons I carry a 22 sidearm loaded with bird shot.
Posted By: Stub

Re: In my stand - 08/17/19 11:16 AM

Truth not many things worse than trying to clean up after that and get the stench out.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum