Texas Hunting Forum

LEASE WORK TRIP

Posted By: dlrz71

LEASE WORK TRIP - 07/31/19 01:45 AM

My brother and I made it to the lease this past weekend for a work trip to get all feeders going, shooting lanes cleared up, camp cleaned up and swap out our camper with the one I just picked up from another forum member.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

My brother hunted his stand one evening but nothing showed up so he hunted with me most of the weekend since I already had 2 feeders going with plenty of activity. We saw several deer but no hogs. After we got the campers swapped out on Sunday he headed back home and I stayed for 2 last hunts before heading home.

I got to my blind Sunday evening a little after 5 and there was already a hog under my main bow setup. I got everything situated in the blind and got into setup. After making sure there weren't any more hogs around the feeder I dropped him under the feeder with the 6.8. I quickly texted my brother to rub it in rofl

[Linked Image]

I went and moved the hog away from the feeder and got back in the stand to wait for the feeders to go off. I had a few deer show up and then a group of medium sized pigs came into the same feeder as the other one at 8. I was lined up on one of the bigger ones and was hoping I could get another one to line up behind it for a double but they got alert and not wanting them to bolt I dropped another one under the feeder.

[Linked Image]

I made sure none of the others were still around and quickly went and moved this one away from the feeder to where I put the previous one. After getting back into the stand I was surprised to see the group come back after about 20 minutes. This time I waited until a couple of them lined up and dropped 2 more. banana

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Just as I was about to pack up and call it a night as light was fading I had a doe run off from my North feeder and saw a black hog coming in and quickly got setup as I knew I wouldn't have much light left to make the shot at 200 yards. I got setup and tried out the illuminated reticle on my new Vortex PST gen 1. I had to use the lowest setting and it was still washing out the image slightly but was still better than black crosshairs on a black hog!! Finally I squeezed the trigger and dropped it under the feeder. I made sure it was down and started to gather up my things. I looked back with my binoculars and it looked like a dang dust storm under my feeder from the hog kicking up all the dirt roflmao

[Linked Image]

After checking my cards and pretty much nothing but hogs I can only hope that we can thin them out and push them out of the area to help get the deer numbers back. I have only 3 decent buck pics out of a couple thousand pics. One of the better pics.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: BubRay

Re: LEASE WORK TRIP - 07/31/19 02:43 AM

Great weekend! Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: RattlesnakeDan

Re: LEASE WORK TRIP - 07/31/19 10:17 AM

That worked out!
Posted By: Schpanky

Re: LEASE WORK TRIP - 07/31/19 01:12 PM

Great pics!! we were down this weekend as well doing the same thing...clearing lanes and filling feeders. can't believe i'm saying this but i wish we had hogs to shoot...for some reason we just don't have many and they sure are fun to hunt and some great eating. deer look to be in great shape this year...shoot be a great season!
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: LEASE WORK TRIP - 07/31/19 01:36 PM

Sounds like you got both a lot of work and a lot of fun done over the weekend.
Posted By: heredeer

Re: LEASE WORK TRIP - 07/31/19 02:54 PM

texas
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: LEASE WORK TRIP - 07/31/19 03:13 PM

Clean up went very well and the hunting was not to bad either. up
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: LEASE WORK TRIP - 07/31/19 03:17 PM

up
Posted By: JCB

Re: LEASE WORK TRIP - 07/31/19 05:08 PM

Pigs pigs everywhere pigs!!! Almost hit a big red boar yesterday with the ATV in your brothers area.
Posted By: Dry Fire

Re: LEASE WORK TRIP - 07/31/19 05:21 PM

I don't miss Texas deer hunting as much as I miss Texas deer hunting camp.

Originally Posted by dlrz71

[Linked Image]
Posted By: redchevy

Re: LEASE WORK TRIP - 07/31/19 05:44 PM

Good work.

We did the same a few weeks ago. Had to pack a lawn mower into the feed pens.... that mower hates its life by the way lol.

Re: LEASE WORK TRIP - 07/31/19 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by redchevy
Good work.

We did the same a few weeks ago. Had to pack a lawn mower into the feed pens.... that mower hates its life by the way lol.

Best thing ever

[Linked Image]
Posted By: d.g.ruff

Re: LEASE WORK TRIP - 07/31/19 06:00 PM

Good work.

Best thing ever

[Linked Image]

Heck yeah! Those things are awesome. I wish I had a lease to clean up.
Posted By: Schpanky

Re: LEASE WORK TRIP - 07/31/19 06:58 PM

Good work.

Best thing ever

[Linked Image]

....I'm thinking this year alone will make one of those worth every penny.....might have to get me one soon.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: LEASE WORK TRIP - 07/31/19 07:03 PM

Good work.

Best thing ever

[Linked Image]

Ours is a 20 ish year old murray with an all but used up 5 hp brigs. It mowed an acre lot for 15 years before retiring to the "easy life" at the ranch. It starts hard, consumes oil, and has a slight knock, but when I put a new blade on it, it still cuts good lol.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: LEASE WORK TRIP - 07/31/19 08:58 PM

Our place is so grown over that we could use a baler. Burn bans are already in place.

Re: LEASE WORK TRIP - 07/31/19 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by dogcatcher
Our place is so grown over that we could use a baler. Burn bans are already in place.

Highest I have ever seen it since I have been on the place. Some areas close to the fence in camp were taller than 6 ft. It was only knee high about a month ago when I was down there. Bad news is it seems like we are gonna have a killer scrub oak acorn crop this year on top of the natural browse. Gonna be a tough bow season between that and the hogs I believe.

Re: LEASE WORK TRIP - 07/31/19 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by JCB
Pigs pigs everywhere pigs!!! Almost hit a big red boar yesterday with the ATV in your brothers area.

you need a GoPro on your atv roflmao
Posted By: mow

Re: LEASE WORK TRIP - 08/04/19 03:11 AM

i put up two bow stands and worked on and filled two feeders..didnt get to hunt..pulled cards and man o man never saw that many hogs in my old area..i bet i saw twenty different sounders on the cards..cant wait..you are right only saw three deer on camera..thats why i moved to this area..dustin a killin' machine!!! going back first of september to finish up some stuff..justin and his dad were there thursday night..left early friday morning..toy and a coupl;e of other lease members were there..dennis and his granddaughter..lot of the crew were there..man it was hot saturday..got a break in the weather..overcast saturday and i started at dawn..and finished at noon..got a small shower this morning at dawn..but it went away,,all in all a nice trip got plenty of work done...by myself..polaris paid for itself this trip..weed eater ran out of line..didnt completly get all my front done..guy in the toy hauler next to me really did a nice job mowing the whole camp..bob or bill i forget...nice piggies!!!!
Posted By: NORML as can be

Re: LEASE WORK TRIP - 08/04/19 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by heredeer
texas

At it's best!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum