Texas Hunting Forum

Odd bases?

Posted By: krmitchell

Odd bases? - 07/03/19 03:43 AM

Are these bases on this deer normal? Just seems like a lot of extra junk on them and no other deer I have on camera looks remotely like that. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Stub

Re: Odd bases? - 07/03/19 10:31 AM

Could be the angle of the picture but it looks like a mature/old buck with knobbies/stickers coming from his thick base, will be interesting to see him in the fall up
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Odd bases? - 07/03/19 11:48 AM

Looks normal to me. Every buck is unique in how the antlers grow. This one is going to have a lot of character points around the bases.......cheers
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Odd bases? - 07/03/19 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Pitchfork Predator
Looks normal to me. Every buck is unique in how the antlers grow. This one is going to have a lot of character points around the bases.......cheers

up
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Odd bases? - 07/03/19 12:34 PM

he definitely looks old
Posted By: EddieWalker

Re: Odd bases? - 07/03/19 01:07 PM

I've noticed that when they get really old, their bases become thicker and more interesting, but their overall rack tends to be stunted with short tines. He has lived through quite a few hunting seasons!!!!
Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Re: Odd bases? - 07/03/19 01:18 PM

I agree with what’s posted above. I hope you post a few pics once he loses the velvet
Posted By: titan2232

Re: Odd bases? - 07/03/19 01:54 PM

Yep going to have some sticker character on those bases. I almost dread looking at velvet antlers this time of year because it's normally a let down once they shed that stuff. Mass always looks huge while growing
Posted By: krmitchell

Re: Odd bases? - 07/03/19 10:09 PM

Thanks guys, I’ll post up more pics if he sticks around.
Posted By: dlrz71

Re: Odd bases? - 07/03/19 10:46 PM

Gonna have lots of character. up
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Odd bases? - 07/05/19 03:22 PM

Looks normal to me. Some areas have better age structure and genetics, so you see it more in some areas than others. Nice looking buck.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum