Texas Hunting Forum

War Dog

Posted By: Megtwo

War Dog - 07/03/19 12:02 AM

The newest member of our family. "Toi", biblical name for The Wanderer, is a Belgium Malinois. She is ten years old and retired from the U.S. Military. She is a trained bomb detection dog and her last deployment was Afghanistan. We wanted to honor a war dog and was given the opportunity to adopt her. We contacted Mission K9 Rescue in Houston and put in an application after learning that these dogs that served our country overseas need forever homes when their service is over. Immediately upon arrival at our farmhouse she "swept" every room. Once she decided it was safe, time for a nap on the couch! The wait time is quite lengthy but after having her for the last month, it was worth the wait and process. We have no affiliation with Mission K9, they had about 25 dogs on hand and most were scheduled for adoption the weekend after we got Toy. Great folks and great service to dogs that served our military personnel overseas. They have a facebook page if any of you just want a good read.....

[Linked Image]
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: War Dog - 07/03/19 12:08 AM

Sounds like you got a great guard dog. I hope she keeps your family safe for another 10 years, Good pick and nice lookin dog.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: War Dog - 07/03/19 11:54 AM

She is awesome in so many ways.........enjoy your time with her. flag cheers
Posted By: mikei

Re: War Dog - 07/03/19 12:00 PM

Great! Congratulations.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: War Dog - 07/03/19 12:10 PM

great thing you have done, they deserve the best, which you will give her, thanks for sharing
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: War Dog - 07/03/19 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Pitchfork Predator

Awesome story....thanks for sharing.....
Posted By: Stub

Re: War Dog - 07/03/19 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by SnakeWrangler
flag
Posted By: garyrapp55

Re: War Dog - 07/03/19 12:47 PM

Thank you for supporting our vets.
Posted By: Toddthar

Re: War Dog - 07/03/19 12:53 PM

Man if that dog could talk I bet she would have some awesome stories!!

Re: War Dog - 07/03/19 01:34 PM

The wife and I say the same thing everytime she looks at us. She deserves the best retirement ever...couch, kongs, and treats!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Choctaw

Re: War Dog - 07/03/19 01:38 PM

All vets deserve our utmost respect. I'm glad this one is going to have a great retirement.
Posted By: ETexas Hunter

Re: War Dog - 07/03/19 01:39 PM

cheers
Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: War Dog - 07/03/19 01:39 PM

That's badazz.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: War Dog - 07/03/19 01:40 PM

Bless her heart. She deserves a safe place with lots of love.
Posted By: tophorsecop

Re: War Dog - 07/03/19 01:44 PM

WELL DONE, Sir !!!
Posted By: janie

Re: War Dog - 07/03/19 01:52 PM

She's beautiful. So glad y'all found one another. Happy retirement sweet girl.
Posted By: Cochise

Re: War Dog - 07/03/19 02:06 PM

I have heard nothing but great things about Mission K9. Good on you.
Posted By: heredeer

Re: War Dog - 07/03/19 03:33 PM

outstanding !!!
Posted By: First_Chance

Re: War Dog - 07/03/19 03:39 PM

There's no telling how many lives she's saved during her service.
They ask for nothing... only to do their job and please.
We could never repay that, but making the rest of her life the best it can be is about the best we can do.
Kudos to you and your family up
Posted By: texfork

Re: War Dog - 07/03/19 04:08 PM

That is so cool for the both of you.
Posted By: hetman

Re: War Dog - 07/03/19 04:47 PM

up flag
Posted By: bp3

Re: War Dog - 07/03/19 04:51 PM

flag up
Posted By: Red Pill

Re: War Dog - 07/03/19 04:53 PM

Outstanding! Right now I'm reading "Suspect" by my favorite author, Robert Crais. It's about a retired war dog who is now a police dog. Not the usual circumstance, but absolutely awesome. I love these dogs!
Posted By: Son of a Blitch

Re: War Dog - 07/03/19 05:05 PM

up flag up
Posted By: nyalubwe

Re: War Dog - 07/03/19 06:00 PM

BIG TIME Kudos to you! I can't tell you how much I appreciate what you've done. I train working dogs and am so happy there are people like you out there! That dog deserves the best, and I think she got it!
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: War Dog - 07/03/19 07:38 PM

That is awesome!!!
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: War Dog - 07/03/19 11:05 PM

Beautiful dog and good for you for doing this.
Posted By: Michael W.

Re: War Dog - 07/03/19 11:35 PM

Glad you did that. They deserve the best life available at this point in their life.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: War Dog - 07/04/19 12:05 AM

flag
Posted By: NORML as can be

Re: War Dog - 07/04/19 07:07 AM

God bless the three of you.
Posted By: redhaze

Re: War Dog - 07/04/19 11:28 AM

Thanks for sharing this particular story on this holiday. Man what a great personality she shows. Thanks again. flag

Re: War Dog - 07/04/19 11:56 AM

Happy 4th of July...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: MikeC

Re: War Dog - 07/04/19 10:27 PM

Awesome, God bless you all. flag
Posted By: d.g.ruff

Re: War Dog - 07/05/19 12:56 PM

That's awesome! What kind of wait are you talking about? Are there any special requirements for having a dog like this? Is she around any other dogs? Sorry for all the questions, but this is very intriguing to me.
Posted By: dkershen

Re: War Dog - 07/05/19 03:03 PM

Well done guys! up flag
Posted By: DallasShootingSupplies

Re: War Dog - 07/05/19 03:06 PM

Wow! Such an awesome thing you guys are doing.

flag

Re: War Dog - 07/05/19 05:25 PM

d.g.ruff

The best thing to do is google "Mission K9 Rescue." (https://missionk9rescue.org) There is an application process which is fully described. Our application was expidited, due to my previous handler experience, so wait times may differ depending on your application as well as the number of dogs they have available. All your other questions will also be answered. After we received word that we were approved, we drove down to Houston and based on our application, they had five dogs picked out that they thought would be a good match. We met them all and then walked the entire rescue and looked at every dog they currently had available. We met each and got their personal story as well as recommendations on adopt or not. Some are "one-handler" recommended, some are awaiting their military handlers to adopt, etc. It was a very pleasant experience. Ulitimately we picked the dog that we thought best fit, or I should say, she picked us. Mission Rescue does everything they can that will work out best for you and best for the dog... Besides their website, they have a facebook page. The resuce folks were friendly, knowledgeable, and professional. The place was well kept and maintained, the dog enclosures were clean, the dogs had plenty of water, toys, and attention from what we could see during our visit.

Re: War Dog - 07/05/19 05:55 PM

Thank you for the reply, sir. I figured a person would need, and require, some previous experience with these types of dogs. But I think it's a wonderful thing you and mission K9 are doing! I follow them on Instagram, I believe it is, but I'm never on Instagram, lol. I'll check out their Facebook page.
And thank you again! For the reply and what you're doing with Toi.

Re: War Dog - 07/05/19 07:08 PM

You do not need any previous experience with these type of dogs. Anyone can adopt. The application contains questions about other animals, children, home and property, etc. This helps them match the dog to your application. The previous handler experience, etc. just expands the list of dogs and helps with their assesment of your application. If you have an interest, don't let a lack of previous handler experience keep you from enjoying one of these deserving retired vets......

Re: War Dog - 07/05/19 08:17 PM

Thank you, sir. I appreciate all the information.
Posted By: bucksnbass357

Re: War Dog - 07/06/19 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by SnakeWrangler
Originally Posted by Pitchfork Predator

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum