Texas Hunting Forum

Too much for my weed eater?

Posted By: Schpanky

Too much for my weed eater? - 07/01/19 06:34 PM

...checking one of the main roads on the lease. This road has a low spot and we were checking to see if it was dry....Grateful for the rain but geesh.... [Linked Image]
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Too much for my weed eater? - 07/01/19 06:46 PM

Yup....tractor shredding time.....

Good problem to have..... texas
Posted By: chalet

Re: Too much for my weed eater? - 07/01/19 07:17 PM

If you dont have a shredder and have to do cut a bunch of sunflowers manually best way I found was with a pair of long handled limb loppers. Had the same problem few years ago.
Posted By: westtexaswatkins

Re: Too much for my weed eater? - 07/01/19 07:27 PM

Reminds me of my old lease near Haskell after they had over 10 inches of rain. Took me forever to clean it up with just a riding lawn mower.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Too much for my weed eater? - 07/01/19 07:38 PM

I have an Echo PAS266 with the articulating hedge-trimmer. You can move it out about three notches and use it like a scythe, cuts jungles like that very easily.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Too much for my weed eater? - 07/01/19 07:45 PM

We have 2 of these, it keeps the weeds down and is good exercise. It will also chop rattlesnakes in to 2 pieces.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Schpanky

Re: Too much for my weed eater? - 07/01/19 07:46 PM

I've got the brush attachment for my weed eater and I put an edge on it so it works really well on the grass/weeds....but very slow going. I swap out an 8" saw blade to get to the more "woody" brush. Got a buddy with a tractor and brush hog that I'm going talk into helping us out on the roads.

WTW...I'm glad to say that my problem is not as bad as yours....that looks like the stuff nightmares are made of.

We arrived at camp after dark Saturday night and cleared around the camper and to the power pole in the dark with a flashlight..."stuff" was scampering everywhere...felt like I was in an Indiana Jones movie...gladly no snakes (that I saw)....sure glad I bought those snake boots...they protect against all of the creepy crawlies as well...

The one item we really needed was a pitchfork to remove the clippings...
Posted By: bigjoe8565

Re: Too much for my weed eater? - 07/01/19 09:38 PM

My lease near Aspermont looks the same. I told the lease members we would need 2-3 days to shred everything before dove season.
Posted By: B_Man

Re: Too much for my weed eater? - 07/01/19 10:00 PM

You can get what is called a "Beaver Blade" that will go on a weed-eater.
It's like a small circular saw and will cut that with ease. It will cut some small
trees too. It depends on the size of your weed-eater also. You have to be
extremely careful because it is powerful and is a cutting machine. Please be
safe no matter which way you go.
Posted By: dlrz71

Re: Too much for my weed eater? - 07/01/19 10:06 PM

Just ordered one of these [Linked Image]
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Too much for my weed eater? - 07/01/19 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by dogcatcher
We have 2 of these, it keeps the weeds down and is good exercise. It will also chop rattlesnakes in to 2 pieces.

[Linked Image]

This thing is the devil!! I used one of these at my property up in Oklahoma for about three hours last Friday. UGH!
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: Too much for my weed eater? - 07/01/19 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by B_Man
It's like a small circular saw and will cut that with ease. It will cut some small

Yep, Beaver Blade on my Echo SRM 410 makes short work of anything up to 3" in diameter.

Attached picture Echo_SRM410U.JPG
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: Too much for my weed eater? - 07/01/19 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by dlrz71

I've used the exact same machine for a couple years now. Buy heavy duty line for it and it cuts everything in it's path. Sure saves the back.
Posted By: dlrz71

Re: Too much for my weed eater? - 07/01/19 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by Jimbo1

I've used the exact same machine for a couple years now. Buy heavy duty line for it and it cuts everything in it's path. Sure saves the back.

Yeah, my brother has borrowed one to bring down a few times so I just went ahead and bought one so we would have it.
Originally Posted by flintknapper
Originally Posted by B_Man

Yep, Beaver Blade on my Echo SRM 410 makes short work of anything up to 3" in diameter.

Got one of these attachments as well. Sure makes quick work but I have over 500 yards of roadway in my hunting setup and it is a major chore especially in the heat!!!
Posted By: heredeer

Re: Too much for my weed eater? - 07/02/19 12:49 AM

texas
Posted By: rogerh

Re: Too much for my weed eater? - 07/02/19 01:16 AM

We are considering a pull behind suv or atv type just havn't pulled the trigger yet
Posted By: TX_LT230FH

Re: Too much for my weed eater? - 07/02/19 02:49 AM

I have one of these to get where the tractor won’t fit. Have to lock up the kids and dog first, though.
Posted By: garyrapp55

Re: Too much for my weed eater? - 07/02/19 06:06 PM

How are these better/different than a push mower? I've been considering one for a long time for around the pond, just don't see the big difference.
Posted By: freerange

Re: Too much for my weed eater? - 07/02/19 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by garyrapp55

How are these better/different than a push mower? I've been considering one for a long time for around the pond, just don't see the big difference.

I have one of the walk behinds for the lease and it has its usefulness but it seems to have issues with the string constantly if its in thick stuff. I cant imagine trying to use it in the stuff in the OP pic. I do know my guys used to try push mowers but if its tall at all they use mine. I think with a regular mower its just a real slow process cause it clogs up so quick-not sure.
Posted By: YellowDog

Re: Too much for my weed eater? - 07/02/19 07:35 PM

Get a Billy Goat Outback Brush Cutter or rent one
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum