Texas Hunting Forum

Arrowheads

Posted By: Sniper John

Arrowheads - 06/10/19 05:53 AM

Really starting to enjoy this retired life. Sure got a lot of honey-dos stacking up though. Got to go on an arrowhead screen dig near Carthage close to where my hog hunting place is. Word was the dirt was headed to be removed for road building so probably a one time thing. Got some neat points made from petrified wood and one with the extra notches that is an area specific type called an Evans. It is normal for the points to be more crude looking due to the lack of better material to work with in that part of the country. Will be nice colorful editions to my arrowhead frames. Next stop, backpacking and fly fishing Black Canyon of the Gunnison in CO hoping to time with the epic Salmonfly hatch.

[Linked Image]

I invited my hog hunting buddy along. His first time to do anything like this and his first arrowheads ever. He got into some great beginners luck finding about two to my one across the same screen. I was happy for him.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: Arrowheads - 06/10/19 05:56 AM

That Sir is awesome right there. Great finds
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Arrowheads - 06/10/19 05:59 AM

That looks like a great day!
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Arrowheads - 06/10/19 06:08 AM

Very cool points....thanks for posting
Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Re: Arrowheads - 06/10/19 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by SnakeWrangler

Yep
Posted By: TKandMike

Re: Arrowheads - 06/10/19 12:32 PM

very cool arrowheads
Posted By: Lakhota

Re: Arrowheads - 06/10/19 12:45 PM

That’s neat. If they could only talk.
Posted By: d.g.ruff

Re: Arrowheads - 06/10/19 12:57 PM

Those screens are interesting. Do you mind elaborating on the process?
Posted By: ImTheReasonDovesMourn

Re: Arrowheads - 06/10/19 01:28 PM

That Evans is a cool point. I never hunter far enough east to find one. From the point types and materials, it looks like you were hunting somewhere near Rayburn.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Arrowheads - 06/10/19 01:42 PM

had never seen points from petrified wood, thanks for sharing
Posted By: Red Pill

Re: Arrowheads - 06/10/19 02:47 PM

Nice finds.
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Arrowheads - 06/10/19 03:27 PM

cheers awesome...
flag
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: Arrowheads - 06/10/19 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by colt45
had never seen points from petrified wood, thanks for sharing

Unfortunately, most of the points we have in my area (Deep East Texas) are from petrified wood. Even heat treated...it is difficult to work and points are often very crude. The exception sometimes being points from heat treated Palm-wood.

I hardly bother hunting for points here. I grew up in the Hill Country and there is a plethora of great artifacts there...made from superior materials. Spent many, many hours searching there.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Arrowheads - 06/10/19 07:04 PM

flintknapper, I have a handful of points I've found in Webb Co. made from petrified palm. Pink or light in color with black dots on them. Were the pinkish hued ones heat treated?
Posted By: ImTheReasonDovesMourn

Re: Arrowheads - 06/11/19 02:13 AM

Originally Posted by fouzman
flintknapper, I have a handful of points I've found in Webb Co. made from petrified palm. Pink or light in color with black dots on them. Were the pinkish hued ones heat treated?

There's no way to know what flint was heat treated without seeing it up close. The pink material you're taking about is probably novaculite. It's generally pink with darker speckles. Some of most iconic artifacts ever found in TX/OK/AR were made of novaculite. It knaps beautifully, from birdpoints to giant blades. Google the Atlas Spear if you want to see what that era was capable of.

Re: Arrowheads - 06/11/19 01:06 PM

Thank you, sir.
Posted By: Pope&Young

Re: Arrowheads - 06/11/19 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by TEXASLEFTY

Yep

up
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: Arrowheads - 06/11/19 02:13 PM

Really cool finds.
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: Arrowheads - 06/11/19 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by ImTheReasonDovesMourn
Originally Posted by fouzman

There's no way to know what flint was heat treated without seeing it up close.
True of any material (micro fissures) although the OP was not talking about Flint/Chert but petrified wood.

The pink material you're taking about is probably novaculite. It's generally pink with darker speckles.

Heat treating very often results in color changes. In this case...the 'Novaculite' you reference (in Texas) is most commonly white and gray, but can be black or even 'sandy pink', but in any case fairly rare material...found almost exclusively in Brewster County (far Southwest Texas). A good ways from Webb County...but not to say the material wasn't traded there.

Palm wood can be pink, red, yellow, orange, white, brownish. Has the characteristic dark speckles in it.

Some of most iconic artifacts ever found in TX/OK/AR were made of novaculite. It knaps beautifully, from birdpoints to giant blades. Google the Atlas Spear if you want to see what that era was capable of.

Good Novaculite does knap well, it is what we like to think of as 'reliable/predictable'. As for material found in Texas...I will take 'Georgetown Blue' every time.

^^^^ Replies above

Re: Arrowheads - 06/11/19 06:03 PM

Thanks, flintknapper.
Posted By: bucksnbass357

Re: Arrowheads - 06/11/19 08:38 PM

Posted By: landsurveyor

Re: Arrowheads - 06/12/19 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by bucksnbass357