Texas Hunting Forum

First Blood

Posted By: jrfan

First Blood - 05/06/19 09:18 PM

My cousin has been trying to get her son down to our place for several years to try and do some hunting. For what ever reason, it has never happened. This weekend they were finally able to make it, and I was going to put him on some pigs (normally this isn't a hard task).

I've got a feeder set up in a power line ROW, usually our best spot for any wildlife. We got up about daylight and hiked into the setup, sure enough, there was a decent boar under the feeder. A soon as we made our stalk, he started walking away from us. We finally got within less than 100 yds and I told him to shoot, he froze up and the pig got away.

Rest of the day we hunted as much as we could trying to keep the noise to a minimum. Our neighbor to the north has about a 200 acre wheat field, I was saving this spot. Pigs are almost guaranteed to be in the from dusk until dawn. Sure enough, they were. Problem was they were step for step with the cattle. We managed a shot, it was a lot further than I would have liked. He missed and off they ran.

Fast forward to Sunday. They had to head back to Amarillo early, so I got him up at dawn again. Plan was to drive around and just see if we could jump something up. We walk out the front door of the house and he says there's 4 pigs over there. I look and told him I didn't think so. Well my eyesight obviously is not that of a 10 year old, because there were 4 pigs about 250 yards from the porch in the brush and across the tank. We walked across the dam and within 50 yards and connected. You could have knocked him over with a feather. He was all ready to get it mounted, mamma talked him out of it..... [Linked Image]
Posted By: JCB

Re: First Blood - 05/06/19 09:24 PM

Congrats!

Is that a 788?? What caliber?

Re: First Blood - 05/06/19 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by JCB
Congrats!

Is that a 788?? What caliber?

Yes, sir. .243. It belonged to my wife's granddad. My brother in law used it as a kid and it was eventually handed down to my son. He dang near wore it out over the years. I will probably let my nephews use it, it is a perfect youth rifle.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: First Blood - 05/06/19 09:43 PM

That is, literally, what it's all about. You're the best cousin, once removed, ever. laugh Well done. up
Posted By: dlrz71

Re: First Blood - 05/06/19 10:00 PM

Nicely done!!! up
Posted By: Stub

Re: First Blood - 05/06/19 10:08 PM

Awesome cheers
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: First Blood - 05/06/19 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by Creekrunner
That is, literally, what it's all about. You're the best cousin, once removed, ever. laugh Well done. up

Way to keep after them...up
Posted By: tex70

Re: First Blood - 05/06/19 11:50 PM

The smile says it all cheers
Posted By: Palehorse

Re: First Blood - 05/07/19 01:48 AM

up
Posted By: heredeer

Re: First Blood - 05/07/19 03:04 PM

up
Posted By: RattlesnakeDan

Re: First Blood - 05/07/19 03:19 PM

That will get him hooked!
Posted By: Choctaw

Re: First Blood - 05/07/19 04:12 PM

Good job for turning him into a hunter. up
Posted By: landsurveyor

Re: First Blood - 05/07/19 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by Choctaw

cheers
Posted By: Co-walkabout

Re: First Blood - 05/07/19 06:55 PM

Awesome job! That pig will make a great Euro mount also if mamma allows
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: First Blood - 05/07/19 06:59 PM

Congratulations to the young man. up

Re: First Blood - 05/07/19 07:07 PM

Thanks everyone for the kind words. My kids are older (my girls could care less about hunting) and my son is out of state on Uncle Sam's dime, so I don't get to spend as much time afield with him as I would like. It was nice to spend some time teaching someone something that they were eager to learn about. I think I had more fun than he did.

Originally Posted by Co-walkabout
Awesome job! That pig will make a great Euro mount also if mamma allows

I am already working on it.
Posted By: MikeC

Re: First Blood - 05/07/19 07:30 PM

Awesome, congrats to you both! up
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: First Blood - 05/07/19 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by landsurveyor
Originally Posted by Choctaw

cheers
Posted By: bucksnbass357

Re: First Blood - 05/08/19 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by SnakeWrangler
Originally Posted by Creekrunner

Way to keep after them...up
Posted By: Pope&Young

Re: First Blood - 05/08/19 03:42 AM

Originally Posted by Mr. T.
Congratulations to the young man. up

up
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum