Texas Hunting Forum

Worked?

Posted By: Mr Squatch

Worked? - 02/27/19 08:41 PM

HornSlayer's post got me thinking about some pieces my wife found a while back. So, same question, have these been worked? They appear so to me.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Son of a Blitch

Re: Worked? - 02/27/19 09:09 PM

yes and yes, they have both been worked and shaped
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Worked? - 02/27/19 09:11 PM

Preforms. Knives, looks like. Definitely worked.

Re: Worked? - 02/27/19 09:14 PM

Awesome! This is our first find at our place other than fossils.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Worked? - 02/27/19 09:35 PM

Yes, some good ones.
Posted By: TKandMike

Re: Worked? - 02/27/19 09:37 PM

Those are cool. Nice find
Posted By: MoTex

Re: Worked? - 02/28/19 12:59 AM

Beautiful!
Posted By: Halfadozen

Re: Worked? - 02/28/19 01:04 AM

Yes sir! And there is a nice pup growing out of your thumb in the first pic!
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Worked? - 02/28/19 02:30 AM

Originally Posted by TKandMike
Posted By: bucksnbass357

Re: Worked? - 02/28/19 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by SnakeWrangler

Very nice find indeed.
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: Worked? - 02/28/19 04:00 AM

Yes. Preforms. Rather hurriedly made as evidenced by the hinge fractures in some of them, but nothing that a skilled knapper couldn't take care of as they further reduce the mass.

Nice finds. Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: Stub

Re: Worked? - 02/28/19 11:43 AM

up
Posted By: don k

Re: Worked? - 02/28/19 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by flintknapper
Yes. Preforms. Rather hurriedly made as evidenced by the hinge fractures in some of them, but nothing that a skilled knapper couldn't take care of as they further reduce the mass.

How did they take those big flakes or pieces of flint or whatever they are called to give it the shape?
Posted By: jim1961

Re: Worked? - 02/28/19 02:41 PM

Yes and they are awesome!
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Worked? - 03/01/19 01:20 AM

What county? They look similar to a Guadalupe biface. Also, post up your pics of fossils you've found. Those are interesting as well.

Re: Worked? - 03/01/19 03:29 AM

They were found in Bandera County between Utopia and Vanderpool. We have a ton of clam fossils and have found some snails. Here is one of the clams. This was one we brought home for our daughter to take to school. I'll have to get pictures of the better ones in a few weeks.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: Worked? - 03/01/19 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by don k
Originally Posted by flintknapper

How did they take those big flakes or pieces of flint or whatever they are called to give it the shape?

They would use 'hammerstones' of various size and hardness to strike a smaller piece from a larger workable source. A hammerstone could also be used for further reduction of the smaller piece. An antler 'billet' could be used for finer more precise striking, but at the stage we are looking at a hammerstone would be quickest and last the longest.

They were just trying to 'rough out' a piece that could be easily carried to another spot (or stored somewhere) for further reduction and refinement. We are talking 'percussion' reduction at that level. You simply would not be able to remove big enough flakes by 'pressure' flaking. Both methods were needed depending upon what was being made.

Amazing what could be done by skilled knappers and rudimentary tools back then. I have seen some BIG Corner Tang knives that are thinner than anything I can make. Some of the Native Americans had incredible skill and understanding of what it takes to manipulate the stone. Of course 'GOOD' material makes a huge difference.

Re: Worked? - 03/01/19 03:57 PM

Cool fossils. We have the same type up north, including bivalves, snails, ammonites and oyster shells. All from the cretaceous period. Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: redhaze

Re: Worked? - 03/03/19 11:48 AM

Cool cool

Re: Worked? - 03/25/19 01:14 AM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Some more fossils.
Posted By: Sugars Pop

Re: Worked? - 03/25/19 09:28 PM

Heads are worked slightly but not the finished product. They refer to these as slugs. I found 8 piled up in the lake bed at Limestone when the water was down 4 feet a couple years ago. Bought Robert Overstreets arrowhead book and found out they are not worth anything. Look very similar to the spear head slugs in your photo.

Re: Worked? - 03/25/19 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by Mr Squatch
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Some more fossils.

I like the display. Old barnwood looks perfect with the fossils.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum