Texas Hunting Forum

GET THE NET!!!!!

Posted By: JCB

GET THE NET!!!!! - 02/25/19 01:09 AM

Got the boat out today for the first time since last summer. Wind forecast was 5-10mph but was easily double that!

We started the day trying to fish around mid lake but gave up real quick because of the wind. I decided to make the 20 minute run to a spot I haven't fished since the drought because the water would be warmer there and out of the wind. When we got there the water was the same temp which made no sense. I figured the gates were open on Lavon allowing cold water to come down stream and I was right. Once I got near a stump I could see the current moving so I did a 180 and got the heck out of there and went up a smaller feeder creek. The water there was 7 degrees warmer so I was pretty excited.

As I got to one little bend in the creek I told Dad about a big lay down that use to run right out into the main channel but the water was too murky to see if it was still there or not. I took my Jig and flipped it out there and felt it bump the log. I gave it one little hop and the jig got slammed! I reeled down and set the hook and the drag slipped a little. I told Dad it felt like a pretty good fish and then all the sudden she took off!!! I yelled at him to get the net because this was a giant! I couldn't slow this fish down or turn it around at all so I just held on for dear life as it tried to rip the rod from my hands. Then the unthinkable happed and she got me under a log. At this point I still hadn't seen the fish and assumed it was a double digit Bass because of the area I was fishing and the lure I was using.

I tried to let her swim out but she wouldn't. After about 2 or 3 minutes I no longer felt her on there so assumed she was gone. I got the boat over the place she was hung up and still no sign she was still there. I finally decided she was gone and went into recovery mode to retrieve my jig. I reeled down and started poking around with the rod trying to free the jig and then she shot out of there like a rocket and jumped right in front of my face as I was kneeling. I knew then it wasn't a Bass but still wanted my jig back.

Another 2 or 3 minutes of battle and Dad was able to get a net under her. Not the way I wanted to start the year but heck its a fish and a big one too so I aint going to complain. clap

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Hirogen

Re: GET THE NET!!!!! - 02/25/19 01:18 AM

What type of fish is that? Looks similar to what we call white sucker.
Posted By: 7mag

Re: GET THE NET!!!!! - 02/25/19 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by Hirogen

The guy holding the fish is, the fish he is holding is a common carp aka trash fish

Re: GET THE NET!!!!! - 02/25/19 01:29 AM

Its a Buffalo.
Posted By: dlrz71

Re: GET THE NET!!!!! - 02/25/19 02:02 AM

clap
Posted By: LonestarCobra

Re: GET THE NET!!!!! - 02/25/19 02:08 AM

Those things pull like a freight train, I once thought I had a lake record Striper on until I got that ugly bastage to the surface.
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: GET THE NET!!!!! - 02/25/19 02:17 AM

Originally Posted by JCB
Its a Buffalo.

*Damn buffalo roflmao Great write up though cheers
Posted By: Tundra

Re: GET THE NET!!!!! - 02/25/19 04:02 AM

Hate when that happens, great pic
Posted By: Fishbox

Re: GET THE NET!!!!! - 02/25/19 04:24 AM

If it came from clean running water that is some of the best eating fish to be had!!
Posted By: ImTheReasonDovesMourn

Re: GET THE NET!!!!! - 02/25/19 04:33 AM

Some people eat those. Some people.
Posted By: dkershen

Re: GET THE NET!!!!! - 02/25/19 05:23 AM

Hey it put up a fight! up
Posted By: Stub

Re: GET THE NET!!!!! - 02/25/19 12:09 PM

Thats a Bugle Mouth Bass and some people love eating them laugh
Posted By: snake oil

Re: GET THE NET!!!!! - 02/25/19 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Fishbox
If it came from clean running water that is some of the best eating fish to be had!!
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: GET THE NET!!!!! - 02/25/19 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Tundra
Hate when that happens, great pic

Good fight tho..... up
Posted By: Fishbox

Re: GET THE NET!!!!! - 02/25/19 01:54 PM

First slice the scales off without taking any meat; start at the tail. Head and gut it and then slice between the ribs down to the stomach and pull the ribs away from the spine so as to not cut the myriad small bones that are located at the top of the ribs next to the spine.
That way the small bones are easily removed when eating. Again, if taken from clean running water the freshwater drum,buffalo, whatever you want to call it is excellent fish fare.
Posted By: TKandMike

Re: GET THE NET!!!!! - 02/25/19 01:56 PM

Great fish on your first trip of the year.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: GET THE NET!!!!! - 02/25/19 03:42 PM

First slice the scales off without taking any meat; start at the tail. Head and gut it and then slice between the ribs down to the stomach and pull the ribs away from the spine so as to not cut the myriad small bones that are located at the top of the ribs next to the spine.
That way the small bones are easily removed when eating. Again, if taken from clean running water the freshwater drum,buffalo, whatever you want to call it is excellent fish fare.
+1
Posted By: Hirogen

Re: GET THE NET!!!!! - 02/25/19 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by 7mag

The guy holding the fish is, the fish he is holding is a common carp aka trash fish

We have carp in Ontario as well (at least I have heard we do). Never seen one before and never caught one. Think they are a larger lake thing here (like great lakes) and i tend to be smaller lakes in the back woods.
Posted By: ducknbass

Re: GET THE NET!!!!! - 02/25/19 07:13 PM

I was thinking a big ole grinnel when reading the story knowing the location.
Posted By: djs303

Re: GET THE NET!!!!! - 02/25/19 07:20 PM

That's a good sized Smallmouth Buffalo. There are recipes online that tell you how to clean and fry the ribs of those suckers. Supposed to be a delicacy, but I haven't ever attempted to cook one.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: GET THE NET!!!!! - 02/25/19 07:28 PM

Freshwater drum and buffalo are different animals. I think drum are fine to eat, firm white meat. Ive eaten buffalo a few times and while I find them palatable I wont clean one again.

I thought by now you bass boys would figure out that if you hooked something that actually fought it wasn't a bass?
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: GET THE NET!!!!! - 02/25/19 08:26 PM

up

Re: GET THE NET!!!!! - 02/26/19 12:57 AM

I wasn't hungry enough to try and eat her. I stopped and got donuts in the morning and was pretty full.

When I am keeping fish I do keep drum though. I catch them pretty often when Crappie and Sandbass fishing and I bet 99% of people wouldn't even know they were eating a drum. Very white meat on the smaller ones just like a Crappie. I suppose if I ever got hungry enough I might eat some Buffalo but chances are I would keep some Bass first (don't tell them fellers on TFF). grin
Posted By: kmon11

Re: GET THE NET!!!!! - 02/26/19 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by JCB
I wasn't hungry enough to try and eat her. I stopped and got donuts in the morning and was pretty full.

When I am keeping fish I do keep drum though. I catch them pretty often when Crappie and Sandbass fishing and I bet 99% of people wouldn't even know they were eating a drum. Very white meat on the smaller ones just like a Crappie. I suppose if I ever got hungry enough I might eat some Buffalo but chances are I would keep some Bass first (don't tell them fellers on TFF). grin

Sig worthy for TFF bolt

I prefer baby bass cheers
Posted By: LonestarCobra

Re: GET THE NET!!!!! - 02/26/19 02:35 AM

They sure are when you cut them up in strips and catch a 5-10 LB Bluecat on them and eat it instead.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: GET THE NET!!!!! - 02/26/19 03:06 AM

Caught one of those on an ultralight with 4 pound test. They are fun when they are active
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: GET THE NET!!!!! - 02/26/19 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by BigPig
Caught one of those on an ultralight with 4 pound test. They are fun when they are active

[Linked Image]
Posted By: TexasDuckMan

Re: GET THE NET!!!!! - 02/26/19 05:46 PM

clap
Posted By: Birdboy

Re: GET THE NET!!!!! - 02/26/19 05:59 PM

Good times!
Posted By: Birdboy

Re: GET THE NET!!!!! - 02/26/19 06:00 PM

Carp/Trash fun to catch though
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: GET THE NET!!!!! - 02/26/19 08:37 PM

Someone beat my record a few years ago, but I used to hold the IGFA 4 lb line class record for smallmouth bufffalo. I was using 2 lb line, but it tested at 4lb. I was intentionally fishing for them on Texoma that day. They are fun fish to try and catch on ultra light line. The all tackle record is from Lake Athens and over 80 lbs. Imagine hooking into one that big while bass fishing.
Posted By: bucksnbass357

Re: GET THE NET!!!!! - 02/26/19 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by ImTheReasonDovesMourn
Some people eat those. Some people.

Re: GET THE NET!!!!! - 02/26/19 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by Sniper John
Someone beat my record a few years ago, but I used to hold the IGFA 4 lb line class record for smallmouth bufffalo. I was using 2 lb line, but it tested at 4lb. I was intentionally fishing for them on Texoma that day. They are fun fish to try and catch on ultra light line. The all tackle record is from Lake Athens and over 80 lbs. Imagine hooking into one that big while bass fishing.

I think it was in 1999 I caught what would have been the Lake Ray Hubbard record at the time while Bass fishing with a swimbait. I was fishing the power plant discharge in February slow rolling a swimbait when something grabbed it. I set the hook and the fight was on. Dang thing kept jumping like a Tarpon so I knew what it was long before I got it in the net. She ended up weighing 36.11 which obliterated the lake record at the time but I didn't mess with the certification. I ended up just taking some pics and tossing her back. I think the lake record stands at around 45 pounds now anyway.
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: GET THE NET!!!!! - 02/27/19 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by JCB
Its a Buffalo.

Smallmouth buffalo. They actually eat pretty good, or so I've been told. You always catch fish, JCB. You've got that lake figured out. That water looks pretty nice too.
Posted By: heredeer

Re: GET THE NET!!!!! - 02/27/19 04:27 PM

clap
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum