Texas Hunting Forum

buck trap

Posted By: Grosvenor

buck trap - 01/21/19 05:58 PM

We are trying a new approach for getting rid of those pesky 4 year old 8 pointers...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: buck trap - 01/21/19 06:04 PM

clap
Posted By: LG

lol
Posted By: Stub

I accidentally caught one in a hog trap about 5 years ago, got him out safely.
Posted By: Grosvenor

Re: buck trap - 01/21/19 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by Stub
I accidentally caught one in a hog trap about 5 years ago, got him out safely.

I wasn't there, but the folks that were there managed to get him out without getting impaled. Man they're hungry this time of year.
Posted By: Nathan at Fork

Re: buck trap - 01/21/19 07:27 PM

Caught a doe in a gog trap like that 6 or 7 years ago. She almost killed herself while we were trying to let her out. I only use open top hog traps now.
Posted By: majekman

Re: buck trap - 01/21/19 08:19 PM

Years ago on a place in Frio county.....caught an 8pt in a hog trap. Let it out and watched him haul butt across a 100ac plowed field totally out of sight. Told my son....well that’s one buck we’ll never see again. The next morning....same buck in the same trap. Not the smartest critter in the woods, I’m guessing
Posted By: HogBranch

Re: buck trap - 01/21/19 08:22 PM

We strung PVC on a wire across the entrance. To the deer it is impenetrable, to a pig it doesn't even slow them down.
Posted By: BenBob

Re: buck trap - 01/22/19 01:55 PM

Well, it worked.
Posted By: snake oil

Re: buck trap - 01/22/19 04:33 PM

Caught a 8pt and 6pt in my trap and the 6pt killed the 8...Trap checked once a day...
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: buck trap - 01/23/19 10:47 AM

Once tried to release one but it broke it's neck when I approached.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: buck trap - 01/26/19 01:22 AM

I cut blackbrush or mesquite and pile it up in the door way. Works great for keeping deer out and hogs will still get into the trap.
Posted By: Dalroo

Re: buck trap - 03/29/19 04:33 PM

I caught one on accident - doe. Surprised she didn't kill herself try to get out of pen as I approached. She was trying to get through panel and had her neck stuck. I open the door and pinned it back with a stick and then pushed her head back through. I actually thought she was dead, but after a minute or so she got up, thrashed around and then bolted out door. She was scraped up some, but ran like no broken bones or permanent damage. That was a first for me.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: buck trap - 03/29/19 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Grosvenor
We are trying a new approach for getting rid of those pesky 4 year old 8 pointers...

[Linked Image]

we had one in a trap a few years ago, when we found him,he had broken his jaw, we got him out, don't know if he survived.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: buck trap - 03/29/19 04:50 PM

We only use open top traps....rather loose a hog than catch a deer
Posted By: heredeer

Re: buck trap - 03/29/19 06:50 PM

texas
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum