Texas Hunting Forum

target acquired

Posted By: MELackey

target acquired - 01/04/19 04:02 PM

My 14 yr old has been hunting pretty hard this year. He has been tormented by this buck all year, but never had a decent shot opportunity at a range he is comfortable with. Of course, he came out for me just before Christmas and fed for 30 minutes within 100 yards from my stand. I, of course kept texting him pics while he was on another stand seeing absolutely nothing.

I'm taking him back this weekend. Hopefully things will work out.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: target acquired - 01/04/19 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by MELackey
I, of course kept texting him pics while he was on another stand seeing absolutely nothing.

I'm sure he was loving on you that entire time...... roflmao

Hope he gets him on the ground..... up
Posted By: deerhunter1956

Re: target acquired - 01/04/19 05:30 PM

You know he wont show back till Monday now.

Re: target acquired - 01/04/19 05:31 PM

these were pics through the binoculars, If I could have gotten a good pic through the scope crosshairs, I would have sent that one just to jack with him.

Re: target acquired - 01/04/19 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by deerhunter1956
You know he wont show back till Monday now.

That's about how it always works.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: target acquired - 01/04/19 05:33 PM

Hope he walks out and stands broadside for him
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: target acquired - 01/04/19 05:37 PM

Good luck! If this weekend does not work out, do you have the late Youth Season?

Re: target acquired - 01/04/19 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by stxranchman
Good luck! If this weekend does not work out, do you have the late Youth Season?

The ranch is under the MLD program, so we keep rifle hunting until the end of February.
Posted By: Pope&Young

Re: target acquired - 01/04/19 07:53 PM

Good luck to your son. I hope he has a chance to connect on him before the end of the MLD season up
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: target acquired - 01/04/19 09:41 PM

Good luck!!!
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: target acquired - 01/04/19 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by SapperTitan
Hope he walks out and stands broadside for him

up Good luck
Posted By: sbushee

Re: target acquired - 01/05/19 07:21 PM

Hope he gets him
Posted By: bucksnbass357

Re: target acquired - 01/06/19 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by Pope&Young
Good luck to your son. I hope he has a chance to connect on him before the end of the MLD season up

Re: target acquired - 01/06/19 08:24 AM

It's like the twilight zone here in Coryell County. The deer have disappeared or all gone nocturnal. Tracks everywhere, but no deer sightings.
Posted By: twdjr

Re: target acquired - 01/06/19 03:37 PM

Good Luck!

Re: target acquired - 01/07/19 02:55 PM

well, he zipped. 3 hunts and the buck never showed. Actually, he never saw a single deer the entire weekend. My 10 yr old and each shot a doe. Saw 2 deer, shot them both. Is fairly rare to see just one deer alone, and both of the ones we shot showed up alone.

There ARE still a ton of deer around, they are just out at night I guess. I made a spotlight run when I dumped one of the carcasses at the bone pile and there were deer everywhere, just not moving around during the daylight.

Oh well. That's why they call it hunting, right?
Posted By: D Rogers

Re: target acquired - 01/07/19 03:20 PM

best of luck to the young man
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: target acquired - 01/07/19 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by MELackey
well, he zipped. 3 hunts and the buck never showed. Actually, he never saw a single deer the entire weekend. My 10 yr old and each shot a doe. Saw 2 deer, shot them both. Is fairly rare to see just one deer alone, and both of the ones we shot showed up alone.

There ARE still a ton of deer around, they are just out at night I guess. I made a spotlight run when I dumped one of the carcasses at the bone pile and there were deer everywhere, just not moving around during the daylight.

Oh well. That's why they call it hunting, right?

We had the same issue. Very few deer in daylight all weekend. I'm convinced it is the new moon. I hate hunting the new moon.
Posted By: pop r

Re: target acquired - 01/08/19 12:51 AM

cheers
Posted By: TKandMike

Re: target acquired - 01/17/19 09:45 PM

Next year it is

Re: target acquired - 01/18/19 09:11 PM

we're going to give it a month now that general season is closed and make one more run at them middle of February when they've settled down and maybe let their guard down a little.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum