Posted By: chalet

Artifact guys - 11/30/18 06:59 PM

Found this in Archer co.

[Linked Image]

about halfway up this slope

[Linked Image]

not too far from this

[Linked Image]

Pretty sure its granite and only stone like it in the area. Also smoother on one side than the other. Guessing a grind stone? I know a couple spots around in the surrounding area that were indian camps, looked all over and didn't find any flint or other evidence.

Posted By: Son of a Blitch

Re: Artifact guys - 11/30/18 07:03 PM

That's definitely a cool find! Grinder/pestle
Posted By: RafterH

Re: Artifact guys - 11/30/18 07:13 PM

What part of Archer County?

Re: Artifact guys - 11/30/18 07:14 PM

South of Windthorst
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Artifact guys - 12/01/18 12:16 AM

Metamorphic rock, probably granite, like you said. That rock was way out of place in Archer county. Sandstone (sedimentary rock) dominates that part of Texas. Probably came from further west along the little Wichita or Brazos watersheds. Like stated above, probably a grinder.

Re: Artifact guys - 12/01/18 12:23 AM

Spent a little time on the web looking at these. Best guess is from the Archaic period? Just kind of assumed it was more recent like Comanche, Kiowa, Kickapoo, etc.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Artifact guys - 12/01/18 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by George - w/ Map My Ranch
That's definitely a cool find! Grinder/pestle

Re: Artifact guys - 12/01/18 01:01 AM

Originally Posted by chalet
Spent a little time on the web looking at these. Best guess is from the Archaic period? Just kind of assumed it was more recent like Comanche, Kiowa, Kickapoo, etc.

It could easily be. I've got quite a collection of rocks that are very similar, although they came from Post to Dickens area. I use them in the landscape around the house. That one is probably 100 or so miles east of where it should be. Even primitive humans knew the value of a good tool when they saw one. Cool find.

Re: Artifact guys - 12/01/18 03:20 AM

Thanks for the info.
Posted By: JCO

Re: Artifact guys - 12/01/18 06:14 AM

Nice find. There is an old story behind it. Let your imagination run on how got there.
Posted By: lthomas132

Re: Artifact guys - 12/03/18 01:00 PM

#1 Granite is igneous rock, not metamorphic rock. Permian (much younger rock) is the predominant outcrop of Archer County. See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Beds_of_Texas_and_Oklahoma
#2 The nearest granite or metamorphic rock outcrop is in Western Oklahoma or further south in the Llano Uplift (Enchanted Rock area)
#3 My guess is that it is a siliceous inclusion, a natural concentration of quartz/silica minerals
#4 Drop some hydrochloric acid (muriatic acid is diluted HCL). If it fizzes, it has carbonate within, if not, it's quartzite
#5 If it were an Indian grindstone it would have grinding cuts, don't see that. A anthropologist would be the person to refer to.

I am a petroleum geologist with 40 years experience, AAPG & Texas certified
Posted By: HWY_MAN

Re: Artifact guys - 12/03/18 01:42 PM

Possible Mano stone but obviously used as a hammer stone also, the ranch is littered with them. All my hammer stones I use for flint knapping have come from the ranch. Good proper weighted hammer stones with the right density are a prize. Course stones were used to work the inside layer of hides to soften them up and remove the membrane.
Posted By: jim1961

Re: Artifact guys - 12/03/18 02:38 PM

up

Re: Artifact guys - 12/03/18 04:08 PM

I'll try to pickup some acid, looks like I can get it at Home Depot. Couple more pics.

Bottom edge
[Linked Image]

Backside, thinking maybe that big groove is for a finger. I've got pretty big hands, let my daughter hold it and her thumb fits in top, fingers in the groove.

[Linked Image]

Me holding it like a hammer, ring finger in the groove

[Linked Image]

How my cousin thought they'd hold it based on the smooth side being in the palm of your hand. He has picked up a lot of stuff over the years, not an expert but has a real nice collection.

[Linked Image]

Re: Artifact guys - 12/03/18 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by lthomas132
#1 Granite is igneous rock, not metamorphic rock. Permian (much younger rock) is the predominant outcrop of Archer County. See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Beds_of_Texas_and_Oklahoma
#2 The nearest granite or metamorphic rock outcrop is in Western Oklahoma or further south in the Llano Uplift (Enchanted Rock area)
#3 My guess is that it is a siliceous inclusion, a natural concentration of quartz/silica minerals
#4 Drop some hydrochloric acid (muriatic acid is diluted HCL). If it fizzes, it has carbonate within, if not, it's quartzite
#5 If it were an Indian grindstone it would have grinding cuts, don't see that. A anthropologist would be the person to refer to.

I am a petroleum geologist with 40 years experience, AAPG & Texas certified
This is correct. More of a silica based rock. After looking at some of mine they're almost translucent like glass. I found all of mine below the caprock, in the Brazos tributaries. Quite a way from where you found this.

Re: Artifact guys - 01/07/23 06:55 PM

Found this one today within feet of the one above I found 4 years a go. Yellow imstead of pink

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: Artifact guys - 01/07/23 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by HWY_MAN
Possible Mano stone but obviously used as a hammer stone also, the ranch is littered with them. All my hammer stones I use for flint knapping have come from the ranch. Good proper weighted hammer stones with the right density are a prize. Course stones were used to work the inside layer of hides to soften them up and remove the membrane.

Hammer stone was my very first thought as well.
Posted By: Ringtail

Re: Artifact guys - 01/07/23 11:23 PM

I find some like that at my site. I concur with the hammerstone folks.
Posted By: Jgraider

Re: Artifact guys - 01/07/23 11:28 PM

Not hammer stones, but........

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Stub

Re: Artifact guys - 01/08/23 12:22 AM

Found this one today within feet of the one above I found 4 years a go. Yellow imstead of pink

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Wow that is an Indian Love Stone up aka just another Fn rock laugh

Actually it is not just another Fn rock, those are very cool Geodes that looks like a potato, if you split them open the have neat coloration on the inside.
Those are not uncommon out west.

Cut one in half and take a picture of it and share it with us please.

Re: Artifact guys - 01/08/23 02:02 AM

Shutup nay-sayer. These hammer grinders were used by Quanah Parkers paternal great grandmother daily and twice on Sundays.
Posted By: Stub

Re: Artifact guys - 01/08/23 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by Stub

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Wow that is an Indian Love Stone up aka just another Fn rock laugh

Actually it is not just another Fn rock, those are very cool Geodes that looks like a potato, if you split them open the have neat coloration on the inside.
Those are not uncommon out west.

Cut one in half and take a picture of it and share it with us please.

Shutup nay-sayer. These hammer grinders were used by Quanah Parkers paternal great grandmother daily and twice on Sundays.

roflmao
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Artifact guys - 01/18/23 05:25 PM

"thats the 'love to shoot white people tribe'

Re: Artifact guys - 11/11/23 05:23 PM

[Linked Image]

Found this little dude today same place I found the stones.

Re: Artifact guys - 11/11/23 06:12 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Ringtail

Re: Artifact guys - 11/11/23 06:16 PM

Nice! A little crude blade or scraper much like some I find in East Texas. Definitely an artifact!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum