Texas Hunting Forum

Young or old buck?

Posted By: ChadTRG42

Young or old buck? - 11/29/18 03:55 PM

We had this nice 8 in front of us for about 2 hours. My son wanted to shoot him really bad (for his first buck), but I told him to wait. I know we have bigger deer than this. I was showing these pics to a buddy, and he said this deer was older and needed to get shot. I though he was young. He was running around with a smaller 8 point, and the 2 bucks have been seen on camera together also. We passed on the deer, and I figured he'd be good in 1 to 2 years (hopefully!) This was the same hunt I shot the doe with my Glock. We were covered up in deer the whole hunt.

So, do we go back and shoot this deer as a good first buck for my 13 yr old, or let him walk to get bigger? (I'm not a deer expert on exact age and size, but I'm not 100% on this one)

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Posted By: DQ Kid

Re: Young or old deer? - 11/29/18 03:56 PM

Middle age, 4.5-5+
Posted By: FamousAmos

Re: Young or old deer? - 11/29/18 04:02 PM

3.5 is my guess.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Young or old deer? - 11/29/18 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by DQ Kid
Middle age, 4.5-5+

Re: Young or old deer? - 11/29/18 04:07 PM

So, should we have shot him??
Posted By: NMGW

Re: Young or old deer? - 11/29/18 04:07 PM

Middle age, 4.5-5+

Yep X2 probably as good as he is going to get. I would let your son take him. 2cents
Posted By: TexasKC

Re: Young or old deer? - 11/29/18 04:09 PM

I'm thinking 5.5
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Young or old deer? - 11/29/18 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by ChadTRG42
So, should we have shot him??

Mature, but not old. Yes he very well could be better next year. Should you have taken him? That is personal preference. If it were me and my boy, I would have let him take him for a first buck. He'll make a fine first Buck!
Posted By: HuntnFly67

Re: Young or old deer? - 11/29/18 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by NMGW
Middle age, 4.5-5+

Yep X2 probably as good as he is going to get. I would let your son take him. 2cents

Same. 8s like that are a dime a dozen and I think its unlikely he will do something spectacular.

That, and he is way better than my first (an 8 as well) buck.

If it was time for my son to get his first buck, that one would fit the bill for us just fine.
Posted By: HuntnFly67

Re: Young or old deer? - 11/29/18 04:26 PM

The next question would be, euro or shoulder mount?
Posted By: DQ Kid

Re: Young or old deer? - 11/29/18 04:32 PM

He's middle aged and a 120s-130 buck. For an 8pt. that's a pretty good one, especially for a kid's first buck. I'd let him punch hole it personally.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Young or old deer? - 11/29/18 04:36 PM

The deer on our ranch are going to be nervous when my nephews and my son start hunting. I don't think we will give them free run to shoot whatever they want, but we wont make em wait for a mature buck either I don't think.

Not sure what I think of him, some picks he looks older some younger. He has some big shoulders, a small hump on his back, brisket sticks out. I think he could be an older buck.

Re: Young or old deer? - 11/29/18 04:37 PM

Yeah, I'm kind of thinking I should have let him shoot it. I would do a Euro mount on this one. I'd make it a project for the both of us to make.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Young or old deer? - 11/29/18 04:43 PM

I think we know what will happen if he shows up again, will be agreat first buck
Posted By: jim1961

Re: Young or old deer? - 11/29/18 04:57 PM

up
Posted By: Scott W

Re: Young or old deer? - 11/29/18 05:32 PM

Yes Chad, that's a great first buck for your son. A lot nicer than my first buck!!
Posted By: HornSlayer

Re: Young or old deer? - 11/29/18 05:46 PM

That's a 5 1/2 yr deer. Or to say it another way, I would say that is his 5th set of horn.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Young or old deer? - 11/29/18 05:49 PM

I agree on middle age. However, it's a rough year for antlers and he could only be 4.5. Our bucks make their best racks at 5.5+. He could easily, with good conditions, add 20" for next year. But he is pretty and would make a good trophy. If you have several larger bucks I'd hold out but that's hard for a young 'un.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Young or old deer? - 11/29/18 06:20 PM

Middle age, 4.5-5+
Posted By: Nathan at Fork

Re: Young or old deer? - 11/29/18 06:51 PM

Looks 5.5 yo at the least to me. Has too much of a brisket and some sway to his back.

edit- Looking again it may be 4.5, but I still think older.

Posted By: Son of a Blitch

Re: Young or old deer? - 11/29/18 07:15 PM

You pre-rut, rut, or post rut where you are?

First two pics made me say 4.5 at minimum. Bottom two pics made me think 3.5-4.5. Put that all together and I think you have a 4.5 yr old. Could be 5.5...but not sure about where you are. We have a place south of Austin and they have already been rutting for a couple weeks and the big boys lost some weight and "look" a year younger than they actually are, unless you study them closely.

It would make a fine first buck. And you said he wants to shoot him really bad. This is a good lesson, where you aren't totally sure about the age or how he'd stack up against other deer, so you think about it....and then decide. Nothing wrong with waiting and thinking about big decisions. If it was a super stud 6.5 with a massive rack, there is no need to think, only to react accordingly. This one required some thought. That's totally fine.

If it were my son, and he was excited about it, I'd say let him sling some lead the next time he pops up. You still have a chance at a bigger boy coming in - in the meantime, but if this ends up being the biggest one that shows up, it would be a mighty fine story to post next week!
Posted By: sbushee

Re: Young or old deer? - 11/29/18 07:19 PM

I say 4.
Don’t know about the .5
Always makes me smile when people feel the need to add the .5 to the age.
Maybe he was born early and is 4.6 or late and is 4.4
It’s just semantics really
Posted By: djs303

Re: Young or old deer? - 11/29/18 08:11 PM

rifle
Posted By: mattyg06

Re: Young or old deer? - 11/29/18 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by George - w/ Map My Ranch
You pre-rut, rut, or post rut where you are?

First two pics made me say 4.5 at minimum. Bottom two pics made me think 3.5-4.5. Put that all together and I think you have a 4.5 yr old. Could be 5.5...but not sure about where you are. We have a place south of Austin and they have already been rutting for a couple weeks and the big boys lost some weight and "look" a year younger than they actually are, unless you study them closely.

It would make a fine first buck. And you said he wants to shoot him really bad. This is a good lesson, where you aren't totally sure about the age or how he'd stack up against other deer, so you think about it....and then decide. Nothing wrong with waiting and thinking about big decisions. If it was a super stud 6.5 with a massive rack, there is no need to think, only to react accordingly. This one required some thought. That's totally fine.

If it were my son, and he was excited about it, I'd say let him sling some lead the next time he pops up. You still have a chance at a bigger boy coming in - in the meantime, but if this ends up being the biggest one that shows up, it would be a mighty fine story to post next week!

Agree completely. Great first buck. But even better you are teaching him about making deliberate decisions and patience while hunting.
Posted By: Stub

Re: Young or old deer? - 11/29/18 09:22 PM

Great first buck for a 13 year old or any age person. I think it is 5.5 and yes let him shoot it up
Posted By: texasspazzman

Re: Young or old deer? - 11/29/18 09:27 PM

I'm having a hard time seeing more than 4.5 on that guy.
That being said, I would definitely let a kid take him for a first deer. A lot depends on the quality of deer on your place.

I believe and letting the kids work their way up. My girls started with a hog before I even let them shoot a doe, then a doe before a buck, and a bigger (preferably older) buck each year after. If they didn't see a mature buck, they didn't shot one just for the sake of filling a tag. I always let them shoot does and culls for meat though. I'm not saying that's the only way to do it, but I'm convinced it's the best way to teach them good management practices.

Good luck on getting a tag on him! up
Posted By: lonesomeoaktx

Re: Young or old deer? - 11/30/18 01:46 PM

shoot em! Would be awesome first buck!
Posted By: D Rogers

Re: Young or old deer? - 11/30/18 04:39 PM

I think he will be prime next season
Posted By: Judd

Re: Young or old deer? - 11/30/18 06:58 PM

I'd say if you're thinking euro only, let him walk. That's a nice deer and worthy of a neck mount if it's his first one wink Come on Dad, belly up to the bar grin
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Young or old deer? - 12/01/18 01:34 AM

Originally Posted by kmon1
Middle age, 4.5-5+

Exactly what I think too. Yes. Yes you should have shot him.
Posted By: pop r

Re: Young or old deer? - 12/01/18 02:02 AM

up
Posted By: bucksnbass357

Re: Young or old deer? - 12/01/18 02:10 AM

Originally Posted by NMGW
Middle age, 4.5-5+

Agreed
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Young or old deer? - 12/01/18 02:25 AM

I am seeing 3 or 4 from those pics.
Posted By: Master Plumb

Re: Young or old deer? - 12/01/18 02:37 AM

4.5 take him.
Posted By: Dansmith30cal

Re: Young or old deer? - 12/08/18 04:41 AM

Shoot him!
Posted By: esnow74

Re: Young or old deer? - 12/08/18 05:01 AM

Would make a fine first buck. If he wants to someday take a better buck, he has a good start by letting that one go and see what he may be next year.
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Young or old deer? - 12/08/18 04:04 PM

Looks like a 4 yo. to me...
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum