Texas Hunting Forum

Colorado DIY

Posted By: ACKHNTR

Colorado DIY - 11/16/18 03:05 AM

Me and a bud went up to Colorado for 3rd Rifle OTC, DIY public land hunt. We were both first timers and had been planning this trip for almost two years. We set up camp on Nov. 3rd and took off immediately after pitching the tent and getting a few things organized. Within an hour we were watching cows cross a clearing and listening to 2-3 bulls screaming their heads off. The next 5 days were relatively the same, although the cows always seem to be visible, the bulls never were.
Finally around tuesday, I seen a very large heard with several bulls but I could not close the distance. We planned on packing up camp on Friday, so my time was running out. At this point my buddy has had the same experience, plenty of elk but no shot opportunities.
Thursday rolls around and I stumbled on a herd of roughly 75-100 heading towards bed. I told myself from previous experiences in the week that I was going to be more aggressive. I tried heading the herd off but did not have any luck. About an hour later I bumped them out of their bedding area. It sounded like a herd of cattle crashing through the pines.
So long story short I ran when they ran and I stopped and listened when they stopped to regroup. I'm not sure how long this lasted but I did this until they ran into a clearing. This is when I got my first look at the bull I shot. He was just shy of 300 yds and was starting to get very nervous. Once a couple calves and cows cleared his vitals, I sent a 180gr Core Lokt to way. I knew it was a good hit because he immediately locked up. I had taken his front wheels out from under him. The herd seemed to freeze for a minute, then bolted. He tried to run with them and I sent 2 more rounds down range. He piled up about 50yds from the initial shot.
I damn near died of a heart attack from running/adrenaline and all of the excitement! My buddy shot a bull the following day in relatively the same area. So we both had a full two days of pack out. We left out Saturday afternoon with huge smiles and sore legs!!
On a side note, Friday as I was packing my last load of meat out, I spotted a heard and started videoing them on my phone. After a few minutes I heard 2 shots and the herd scattered. It just so happens my buddy was watching the same herd and got a good shot on a nice 4x5! God surely blessed us this past week and I will be forever grateful!
It was by far the hardest thing I have ever done. I averaged roughly 10-12 miles a day walking. The temps at night stayed in the mid teens. The peacefulness and solitude couldn't have been more amazing! I was hoping my buddy would do a write up because he has a good way of expressing himself. Maybe he will chime in on a different thread with his pictures and story.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Leonardo

Re: Colorado DIY - 11/16/18 03:38 AM

I really want to do this same trip. Great job
Posted By: dlrz71

Re: Colorado DIY - 11/16/18 03:53 AM

Nice job Ace!! Congrats on a successful trip and fine bull. cheers
Posted By: fishingnut12

Re: Colorado DIY - 11/16/18 04:08 AM

good trip nice bulls
Posted By: Hirogen

Re: Colorado DIY - 11/16/18 04:39 AM

Really impressive! Great work!
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Colorado DIY - 11/16/18 04:44 AM

Awesome
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: Colorado DIY - 11/16/18 05:00 AM

That is badass!!! Way to go guys cheers
Posted By: texfork

Re: Colorado DIY - 11/16/18 10:35 AM

Very nice bull and great pictures . Congrats .
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Colorado DIY - 11/16/18 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Hirogen
Really impressive! Great work!
Posted By: RattlesnakeDan

Re: Colorado DIY - 11/16/18 11:30 AM

Great job! Enjoy while you still have your wheels under you. Age makes those hunts harder and harder!
Posted By: activescrape

Re: Colorado DIY - 11/16/18 01:16 PM

Well done. You will never forget this. great pics, love the sunset/rise. going to be some great eating.
Posted By: jim1961

Re: Colorado DIY - 11/16/18 01:56 PM

Good times !
Posted By: EddieWalker

Re: Colorado DIY - 11/16/18 02:38 PM

Outstanding!!! I did something similar in the Mt Zirkel Wilderness two decades ago and haven't been back since. Your description of how much effort it takes is dead on. I went with three other guys and they didn't put in the hours, or the miles, and then complained that there wasn't any animals around, but after I shot mine, I sow others that they refused to go after, so we left with one bull and three complainers.
Posted By: GimmeABuck

Re: Colorado DIY - 11/16/18 02:44 PM

Congrats, that’s a trip to remember!
Posted By: Western

Re: Colorado DIY - 11/16/18 03:08 PM

Great hunt!!
Posted By: ETexas Hunter

Re: Colorado DIY - 11/16/18 03:10 PM

up
on my list
Posted By: TxAg

Re: Colorado DIY - 11/16/18 03:23 PM

Well done! Taking elk on public land is NOT easy, congrats on your accomplishment. The fact that you guys both got one beats the odds by a fair margin.

I went up for first season and never saw a single animal. It can humble you!
Posted By: Whack n stack

Re: Colorado DIY - 11/16/18 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by ETexas Hunter
up
on my list

great job yall!
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Colorado DIY - 11/16/18 04:15 PM

Congrats on a great hunt!
Posted By: Stub

Re: Colorado DIY - 11/16/18 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by 2Beez
That is badass!!! Way to go guys cheers

Great pics also thanks for sharing the scenery too up
Posted By: ACKHNTR

Re: Colorado DIY - 11/16/18 11:54 PM

Thank you all, hunt of a lifetime!
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Colorado DIY - 11/17/18 12:17 AM

Very well done. Congrats!
Posted By: tigger

Re: Colorado DIY - 11/17/18 01:10 AM

awsome
Posted By: Michael W.

Re: Colorado DIY - 11/17/18 01:17 AM

Congrats. Shots fired and the work begins. Did that about 20 yrs. ago and still recall how much work was involved.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum