Texas Hunting Forum

Wolf or ???

Posted By: RattlesnakeDan

Wolf or ??? - 11/16/18 12:14 AM

Ok....so this young man I work with here near San Antonio shot this critter that was running with coyotes and killing livestock including calves. It has been like 5 years since the pic was taken. They all claimed it was a wolf. It looks like a Giant Coyote. Said it dwarfed the other coyotes. What do you think? [Linked Image]
Posted By: bucksnbass357

Re: Wolf or ??? - 11/16/18 12:37 AM

Looks like a coyote to me
Posted By: tex70

Re: Wolf or ??? - 11/16/18 12:41 AM

I'd say coyote too
Posted By: JCB

Re: Wolf or ??? - 11/16/18 12:42 AM

Looks like 100% Yote to me. Doesn't even look all that giant either.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Wolf or ??? - 11/16/18 12:43 AM

Coyote
Posted By: Lakhota

Re: Wolf or ??? - 11/16/18 12:50 AM

100% Coyote

Re: Wolf or ??? - 11/16/18 01:02 AM

It was 3 times the size of a coyote. Over 100 lbs.
Posted By: Michael W.

Re: Wolf or ??? - 11/16/18 01:08 AM

Maybe a Coydog. Coyote and Ger. Shepard mix. Looks pretty big for a coyote.
Posted By: Hirogen

Re: Wolf or ??? - 11/16/18 01:36 AM

Originally Posted by RattlesnakeDan
It was 3 times the size of a coyote. Over 100 lbs.

That would make it bigger than than 99% of Red wolves in existence and 95% of Mexican Gray Wolves. You have to go fairly far north of Texas to get wolves that consistently go over 100 lbs. Makes me think it was a cross between a large coydog and say a 140 lb Alaskan Malamute.

Suppose there is a small chance someone had an imported timber from somewhere up north as a pet or breeder and it escaped.
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: Wolf or ??? - 11/16/18 03:20 AM

We have one about that size on our lease in Shackelford county. Seen it good twice, couldn't get a shot off. Wife was in the stand and said it looked like a lion because it was so big and has a yellow coat. So much bigger than the average coyote in the area. We also have a goat farm bordering our place that's getting hammered. I'm gunning for it as much as any buck on the place!
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: Wolf or ??? - 11/16/18 10:11 AM

I think it's a cross between a wolf and dog. A guy around my place raises and breeds them. I see no coyote.
Posted By: 8pointdrop

Re: Wolf or ??? - 11/16/18 11:05 AM

Coyote and I agree that it doesn’t look that big, not 100lbs. The pic is deceiving, yote is close to the camera.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Wolf or ??? - 11/16/18 12:30 PM

Muzzle looks coyote to me
Posted By: tigger

Re: Wolf or ??? - 11/16/18 01:43 PM

1 fine photoshop job
Posted By: Stub

Re: Wolf or ??? - 11/16/18 02:00 PM

Big Yote! saw one in E. TX long time ago thought it was somebody's German Shepherd at fisrt,
Posted By: Black02z28

Re: Wolf or ??? - 11/16/18 02:23 PM

Coyote
Posted By: gary roberson

Re: Wolf or ??? - 11/16/18 02:26 PM

I can't tell how big he is by the photo as the hunter is obviously standing in front of ATV and the coyote is hanging off the back. I will say that it appears to be an above average sized coyote but not 100 pounds. I called up and killed a coyote on the Bell Ranch in NE NM years ago when we were shooting one of the "EYES FRONT" DVD's for Mossy Oak that was the largest I have ever killed. They had a big coyote contest at Logan, NM and one of the ranch hands entered it and won. If memory serves me correctly, it weighed 47 pounds two days after I killed it. I am guessing that he would have weighed about 50 on the hoof.
I have a hide from a female hanging on my wall that a buddy killed on frozen Lake Michigan. She weighed 57 pounds and my buddy said that her mate was noticeably larger though he did not get him killed. The further north you go, the bigger they get. Blows our saying, "Everything's bigger in Texas" all to heck.
Adios,
Gary
Posted By: Whack n stack

Re: Wolf or ??? - 11/16/18 04:24 PM

looks like a very good sized coyote to me!
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Wolf or ??? - 11/16/18 04:42 PM

This yote was killed in Eastland county and weighed 49lbs. I killed one larger on the same property the year before that was larger than this one. THe AR in the pic has a 24 inch barrel for comparison. lay him on the front rack of a 4 wheeler and he does look large but not that much different in size than the one in the OP. Not asying they didn't kill a eral big yote but do not think it is a wolf or 100lbs. look at a 100lb deer on the front rack of a 4 wheeler some time and see how much space it takes up, and its hair will not be nearly as long as a yotes hair.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Grosvenor

Re: Wolf or ??? - 11/16/18 06:40 PM

It's a wolfote (pronounced "wool-foh-tee")
Posted By: D Rogers

Re: Wolf or ??? - 11/19/18 02:53 PM

big dog either way
Posted By: dkershen

Re: Wolf or ??? - 11/19/18 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by gary roberson
I can't tell how big he is by the photo as the hunter is obviously standing in front of ATV and the coyote is hanging off the back. I will say that it appears to be an above average sized coyote but not 100 pounds. I called up and killed a coyote on the Bell Ranch in NE NM years ago when we were shooting one of the "EYES FRONT" DVD's for Mossy Oak that was the largest I have ever killed. They had a big coyote contest at Logan, NM and one of the ranch hands entered it and won. If memory serves me correctly, it weighed 47 pounds two days after I killed it. I am guessing that he would have weighed about 50 on the hoof.
I have a hide from a female hanging on my wall that a buddy killed on frozen Lake Michigan. She weighed 57 pounds and my buddy said that her mate was noticeably larger though he did not get him killed. The further north you go, the bigger they get. Blows our saying, "Everything's bigger in Texas" all to heck.
Adios,
Gary

I agree with Gary... looks to simply be a big coyote that's "grown" over the past 5 years as the story has been retold.

Re: Wolf or ??? - 11/20/18 01:50 AM

Haha...typical responses. So it is a close friend of mine and this yote dog was over 100 lbs and was bigger than any dog they had ever seen. No photo shop. No b.s. just a very large canid that looks like a coyote and was running with coyotes and killing cows. Look a little closer at the size of this animal compared to the atv. The leg is longer than Texas deer's leg and the head was huge. I wasn't asking for opinions if it was real, just what might have been the explanation of what it may have been.

Re: Wolf or ??? - 11/20/18 01:52 AM

Has to be a wolf or dog cross..... 2cents

Re: Wolf or ??? - 11/20/18 03:02 PM

Haha...typical responses. So it is a close friend of mine and this yote dog was over 100 lbs and was bigger than any dog they had ever seen. No photo shop. No b.s. just a very large canid that looks like a coyote and was running with coyotes and killing cows. Look a little closer at the size of this animal compared to the atv. The leg is longer than Texas deer's leg and the head was huge. I wasn't asking for opinions if it was real, just what might have been the explanation of what it may have been.

Ok.... it is NOT a wolf and to think that a population of grey wolves is still in Texas is laughable.... better?

Re: Wolf or ??? - 11/20/18 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by 8pointdrop

Ok.... it is NOT a wolf and to think that a population of grey wolves is still in Texas is laughable.... better?

While true....there are many people in the state that own wolf crosses......can easily see one getting too aggressive and being dumped somewhere.....or getting loose....

Re: Wolf or ??? - 11/20/18 04:18 PM

Or the much more reasonable conclusion is it’s a big yote and great camera angle, but if y’all want it to be a wolf, carry on.

People see black panthers all the time, so the obvious answer is someone probably released one right? roflmao
Posted By: FamousAmos

Re: Wolf or ??? - 11/20/18 05:42 PM

A big coyote.
Posted By: JCB

Re: Wolf or ??? - 11/20/18 06:12 PM

You already had one of the most knowledgable people in the world on Yotes give you his opinion. Choose to ignore him if you wish but it only makes you look silly.
Posted By: BradyBuck

Re: Wolf or ??? - 11/20/18 08:26 PM

Haha....typical post! You post a picture of a canine and state it was over 100lbs yet offer no proof. Did you even weigh it? Oh wait...you weren't even there?

Looks like a big coyote to me, maybe 60 lbs. I guess it could be a coydog.

Most likely a coydog and IMO look nowhere near 100lbs.
Posted By: Choctaw

Re: Wolf or ??? - 11/20/18 10:25 PM

Let us know what the TPWD biologist says. Pretty sure no one bothered to call them.

Re: Wolf or ??? - 11/21/18 01:06 AM

Children...settle down.
Posted By: djones

Re: Wolf or ??? - 11/23/18 04:17 PM

cmon snake. is that how u treat everyone who disagrees with u... or just the ones who voice their opinions? ur better than that.
Posted By: Halfadozen

Re: Wolf or ??? - 11/24/18 12:21 AM

I might believe the OP a bit if I knew the location better. I remember about 25 years ago, when we had a lease on the old Eastland County Sheriff's ranch off 717. There were a bunch of wolf/yotes crosses running livestock ragged. IIRC, somebody had a few (illegal) Canadian wolf pups and they got out. Anyway, the sheriff called in government trappers and got two of them. I got to see one of them (sorry no pics LOL, no smart phones back then) and he was pushing 100 lbs but did have a grayish tint to the coat unlike the OP pic. Paws were huge compared to a normal coyote. A few years later I shot a song dog that weighed in at 55 lbs in the same area. Who knows? Regardless, that is a pretty big animal in the OP pic.
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Wolf or ??? - 11/24/18 11:19 PM

Adios,
Gary

Off topic a bit but I just caught my first and second episodes of 'Carnivore', this weekend. Gary has one of if not the best hunting shows on cable. Back to topic. That's one big yote.
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: Wolf or ??? - 11/25/18 02:45 AM

I can't tell how big he is by the photo as the hunter is obviously standing in front of ATV and the coyote is hanging off the back.

You aren't very observant.
That coyote is hanging off the front rack and the hunter is sitting in the driver's seat.
Posted By: Dansmith30cal

Re: Wolf or ??? - 12/08/18 04:50 AM

Big coyote
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum