Texas Hunting Forum

Snake ID

Posted By: Scott W

Snake ID - 11/04/18 11:47 AM

This little guy was under an old small propane bottle in my stand. He was probably 15-18” long. The picture is zoomed in very close. I know I don’t want him in my stand but do I need to burn down the entire hillside or just my stand?

(Disclaimer: not really going to burn down either, I just don’t like snakes or spiders and don’t want to share space with them. )

Posted By: HuntingTexas

Re: Snake ID - 11/04/18 01:06 PM

Looks like a juvenile corn snake.
Posted By: LandPirate

Re: Snake ID - 11/04/18 01:43 PM

Or possibly a Texas Rat Snake. Non-venomous either way. If it's cool he's probably very lethargic. Just toss him out and go about your merry way.
Posted By: snake oil

Re: Snake ID - 11/04/18 01:55 PM

No worries just a Rattle headed copper moccasin.... up
Posted By: HWY_MAN

Re: Snake ID - 11/04/18 02:10 PM

Originally Posted By: Scott W
This little guy was under an old small propane bottle in my stand. He was probably 15-18” long. The picture is zoomed in very close. I know I don’t want him in my stand but do I need to burn down the entire hillside or just my stand?

(Disclaimer: not really going to burn down either, I just don’t like snakes or spiders and don’t want to share space with them. )

I'm going to guess that it's a Milk Snake, non venomous and will keep the blind free of unwanted guests.
Posted By: NDN98

Re: Snake ID - 11/04/18 02:45 PM

Originally Posted By: LandPirate
Or possibly a Texas Rat Snake. Non-venomous either way. If it's cool he's probably very lethargic. Just toss him out and go about your merry way.

Juvenile rat snake is my guess too.
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Snake ID - 11/04/18 02:57 PM

Originally Posted By: LandPirate
Yep....LandPirate, good to hear from you. Where you been?
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Snake ID - 11/04/18 04:42 PM

That’s a Texas Rat Snake.
Posted By: Beagledad

Re: Snake ID - 11/04/18 05:12 PM

texas cowboy Rat snake. he is just cold but a really beneficial snake. He will bless you with fewer mice and rats if you let him go free. bolt
Posted By: Dalee7892

Re: Snake ID - 11/04/18 05:24 PM

Might be beneficial but NOT in the stand.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Snake ID - 11/04/18 05:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Dalee7892
Might be beneficial but NOT in the stand.

Do you prefer mice in your stand....... confused2
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Snake ID - 11/04/18 05:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Beagledad
texas cowboy Rat snake. he is just cold but a really beneficial snake. He will bless you with fewer mice and rats if you let him go free. bolt
cheers
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Snake ID - 11/04/18 05:49 PM

I think it’d be cool to hunt with him in there.
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Snake ID - 11/04/18 07:21 PM

I'd let him stay. He'll keep the rodents out. As skinnerback says, I'd hunt with him in the stand with me. My 10 year old loves rat snakes and would probably pick him up and play with him while in the stand, LOL.
Posted By: RattlesnakeDan

Re: Snake ID - 11/04/18 10:32 PM

I think it's good luck to stuff him in your pocket while you hunt. laugh
Posted By: heredeer

Re: Snake ID - 11/04/18 11:03 PM

no rent guest...
Posted By: Reloder28

Re: Snake ID - 11/05/18 02:16 AM

Diamond head copper water rattle moccasin

Re: Snake ID - 11/05/18 03:21 AM

Originally Posted By: RattlesnakeDan

Um no.

Re: Snake ID - 11/05/18 03:24 AM

I coerced him out with a stick. After the morning hunt Saturday when I opened the door to leave, he was waiting at the door to come in again. I'm no fan of sharing spaces with snakes, good or bad. If he's non venemous I'll just usher him out again but I do have a history of a mouse making a nest so a new stand will be constructed and elevated a bit more before next deer season.

Thanks for all the responses and education.
Posted By: 8pointdrop

Re: Snake ID - 11/05/18 09:52 AM

I do have a history of a mouse making a nest

Leave him alone and that problem will be fixed.
Posted By: nick_adams

Re: Snake ID - 11/05/18 04:19 PM

Even non-venomous snakes are dangerous. They can't hurt you but they sure can make you hurt yourself if they surprise you...

I think you are doing the right thing shoo-ing him out but keeping him around. Definitely look closely for him when you get in the blind each time, though!
Posted By: garyrapp55

Re: Snake ID - 11/05/18 07:28 PM

Originally Posted By: nick_adams
Even non-venomous snakes are dangerous. They can't hurt you but they sure can make you hurt yourself if they surprise you

True. They have tested my heart for weakness. One day, my wife is going to find me in the field stiff, friendly little rat snake nearby. I used to kill em all but now, I rarely kill a snake. I hate rats.
Posted By: TexasKC

Re: Snake ID - 11/05/18 07:32 PM

Originally Posted By: RattlesnakeDan

Um no.

X2
Posted By: D Rogers

Re: Snake ID - 11/05/18 07:54 PM

Originally Posted By: snake oil
No worries just a Rattle headed copper moccasin.... up

One of the many dangers of hunting