Texas Hunting Forum

Big Yukon Peninsula Bull Moose

Posted By: sparrish8

Big Yukon Peninsula Bull Moose - 09/25/18 08:44 PM

We kind of fell into this hunt as I'm always looking for a new adventure and I had mentioned on here that I wa was interested in a Yukon Moose hunt and someone told me to check the Accurate Reloading forum Phil Shoemaker a very well known Moose and Brown Bear outfitter had a cancellation hunt, talked to my buddy and we decided if we were doing a moose hunt we were going big or going home so we went after the biggest deer in the world (you can hunt the lower 48 moose or Canada much cheaper but not near the size of the Alaskan Moose), so we just booked this in like March. We flew to Anchirage then King Salmon then took a Charter plan to Phils area 9E which is a million acres known as the Becharof Wildlife Refuge on the Alsakan Penninsula. Flew out that evening to the spike camp in a river bed but you cant hunt until the day after flying, my guide was Taj Phil's son. We decided that 1st unhuntable evening to glass a little and I immediately began seeing Bears....big Bears compared to the little Black Bears I'd seen in NM, I saw 6 Brown Bears right around our little camp which was 2 tiny tents a 1/3 the size of these bears so I was a little uneasy sleeping the 1zt night being that we were in the river bed which reeked of dead salmon and had bear tracks everywhere. We woke up headed up to the glassing hill in the pouring rain at about 48° in hip boots, i was thinking that 10 days of that would not be fun especially when every step you sink 12"-18" into the moss and water bubbled up. About 200yds into our hike a brown bear stood up above some alders and stared us down at 100yds, I stopped and got. afew pics Taj had his Turnbull .475 lver gun ready so I felt pretty safe. Minutes later we began glassing and I started picking up many bears again and remember thinking a moose should be easy to see here with no trees and wasnt seeing any upon my initial glassing. I combed back to Tajs side with my Swaro 15x and much to my delight I saw a moose.....he had to satellite dishes on his head! I told Taj I see a moose and he began looking at it and said wow...that's a good one. It was walking right toward us at 1700yds!! He started to head down toward our camp, how nice of a pack would that be to shoot him in camp but he came across a brown bear and changed to NW back straight toward us, I layed down prone with my 6.5 .284 built by day 2 firearms in Spring tx. I was itching to see what the 143gr ELDX custom.loads would do on a huge animal. At 400 I was ready to crank one.in him but Taj said take your time hes coming right in on a rail so I waited....as soon as he said 205 after ranging he came out of a thicket of alders and stopped, I let one ring off and heard whopp, he said put another in him, trying to be careful not to loose my Lapua brass I brought back by bolt too slow and the brass didnt eject properly but much to my delight after fumbling around the moose hadnt moved i put another one in his shoulder and he tipped.over....WOW that just happened 2 hours into my hunt. I said was it a good one and he said damn right thats a 1st day shooter!the real work began they flew in a packer as we were skinning the animal. 1 quarter skinned out was around 130lbs the animal was a beast probably 1600-1800lbs. After a full day of work that evening the flew me back to main camp where i hung out a day then asked to be flown out to my buddy Dan's camp. His hunt was.more of what i was expecting he passed on 13 bulls and didnt kill until day 7. The weather their was ever changing from 75 the 1st day to 45 and windy and raining on other days. All in all a great hunt with a good outfit in Grizzly Skins. Phil is well known around the world and runs a no BS operation, nothing fancy but a true Alaskan experience. The tenderloins were incredible even on an old bull we managed to bring back about 75lbs of deboned meat so looking forward to eating backstrap tomorrow, wish we could have brought back more.

Posted By: Sparta

Re: Big Yukon Pennisnsula Bull Moose - 09/25/18 08:56 PM

eeks333

WOW!!! That is my dream hunt. What a stud of a bull, congrats!
Posted By: Always ready 2 hunt

Re: Big Yukon Pennisnsula Bull Moose - 09/25/18 08:58 PM

that is awesome, no BS there, made up your mind-booked it-and did it up right!
Congratulations and thank you for sharing
up
Posted By: Stub

Re: Big Yukon Pennisnsula Bull Moose - 09/25/18 08:59 PM

Congrats to you both on two very nice bulls cheers
Posted By: Leonardo

Re: Big Yukon Pennisnsula Bull Moose - 09/25/18 09:01 PM

Heck of a hunt!!!
Posted By: rickym

Re: Big Yukon Pennisnsula Bull Moose - 09/25/18 09:04 PM

Very nice up

Hunting trip of a lifetime!
Posted By: Whack n stack

Re: Big Yukon Pennisnsula Bull Moose - 09/25/18 09:12 PM

definitely a bucket list hunt, congrats.
Posted By: Theringworm

Re: Big Yukon Pennisnsula Bull Moose - 09/25/18 09:20 PM

Headed there next year with Sam Fejes. Not gonna lie.....sleeping & hunting in Grizzly country has me a wee bit nervous. Great hunt & write up sir. Beautiful trophy. How wide is that monster? Looks massive.

Re: Big Yukon Pennisnsula Bull Moose - 09/25/18 09:21 PM

It was 68" wide, he had 2 points broken off near the top of the paddle or may have made 70".
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Big Yukon Pennisnsula Bull Moose - 09/25/18 09:42 PM

Originally Posted By: Sparta
eeks333

WOW!!! That is my dream hunt. What a stud of a bull, congrats!
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Big Yukon Pennisnsula Bull Moose - 09/25/18 09:50 PM

Congrats ion a heck of a hunt and great bull.

Like to see someone else that likes the 6.5-284
Posted By: txmudder

Re: Big Yukon Pennisnsula Bull Moose - 09/25/18 09:58 PM

Holy Moose, that's a dandy. I bet that was a hunt of a lifetime. Congrats! Awesome!!
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Big Yukon Pennisnsula Bull Moose - 09/25/18 10:09 PM

Congratulations on a couple of great bulls. Well done.
Posted By: Old Rabbit

Re: Big Yukon Pennisnsula Bull Moose - 09/25/18 11:49 PM

Wow, really nice bulls. Sounds like a great trip.
Posted By: Michael W.

Re: Big Yukon Pennisnsula Bull Moose - 09/26/18 12:14 AM

Looks like a couple of great trophies and great memories.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Big Yukon Pennisnsula Bull Moose - 09/26/18 12:19 AM

Congrats!!!
Posted By: bp3

Re: Big Yukon Pennisnsula Bull Moose - 09/26/18 12:49 AM

up
Posted By: 1akhunter

Re: Big Yukon Pennisnsula Bull Moose - 09/26/18 02:25 AM

Nice critters! Congrats on a great hunt/adventure. Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: Bear Charge

Re: Big Yukon Pennisnsula Bull Moose - 09/26/18 03:30 AM

You got it
Posted By: Hirogen

Re: Big Yukon Pennisnsula Bull Moose - 09/26/18 04:25 AM

Outstanding! flehan
Posted By: Elkhunter49

Re: Big Yukon Pennisnsula Bull Moose - 09/26/18 10:30 AM

Hell of a bull Steve, well done sir!
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Big Yukon Pennisnsula Bull Moose - 09/26/18 11:31 AM

Congrats on a great bull moose! cheers
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: Big Yukon Pennisnsula Bull Moose - 09/26/18 11:59 AM

Originally Posted By: Creekrunner
Congratulations on a couple of great bulls. Well done.
Posted By: Ruger1980

Re: Big Yukon Pennisnsula Bull Moose - 09/26/18 12:20 PM

Awesome
Posted By: westtexaswatkins

Re: Big Yukon Pennisnsula Bull Moose - 09/26/18 01:00 PM

Hunt of a lifetime. Thanks for sharing and congrats on such a magnificent bull. up
Posted By: BarneyWho

Re: Big Yukon Pennisnsula Bull Moose - 09/26/18 01:03 PM

Awesome. Thanks for sharing! up
Posted By: emorydog

Re: Big Yukon Pennisnsula Bull Moose - 09/26/18 01:35 PM

That rack wouldn’t fit in my little house. Great animal
Posted By: Skylar Mac

Re: Big Yukon Pennisnsula Bull Moose - 09/26/18 02:40 PM

Wow, awesome narrative and great pictures too!
Posted By: Pope&Young

Re: Big Yukon Pennisnsula Bull Moose - 09/26/18 02:49 PM

eeks333
Posted By: ZK-315

Re: Big Yukon Pennisnsula Bull Moose - 09/26/18 04:57 PM

Man, that's awesome!
Posted By: landsurveyor

Re: Big Yukon Pennisnsula Bull Moose - 09/26/18 05:58 PM

Giant!
Posted By: activescrape

Re: Big Yukon Pennisnsula Bull Moose - 09/27/18 12:08 AM

Great story, great pics, great moose.Curious, why could you only bring back 65 pounds?
Posted By: RattlesnakeDan

Re: Big Yukon Pennisnsula Bull Moose - 09/27/18 02:02 AM

That is a big Moose! I did a bowhunt, 12 day float trip in Alaska years ago with no success...love to see it come together with such a fine trophy! And yes after the first day of walking in those bogs a guy gets pretty sore especially come day 10 or 12!
Posted By: NDN98

Re: Big Yukon Pennisnsula Bull Moose - 09/27/18 03:06 AM

Awesome moose. Congrats!
Posted By: PoppinPiggies

Re: Big Yukon Pennisnsula Bull Moose - 09/27/18 08:38 PM

Incredible!

Re: Big Yukon Pennisnsula Bull Moose - 09/28/18 12:18 AM

Originally Posted By: activescrape
Great story, great pics, great moose.Curious, why could you only bring back 65 pounds?

Just the logistics alot of the little planes like the one we flew.out on only have so much room and weight, we probably could have gotten a 2nd cooler full out but the outfitter was not real sure what the larger airlines policys were and the meat wasnt frozen because at the main camp they had solar power with a tiny freezer, and we werent sure if Pen Air had a freezer in King Salmon before we flew to anchorage. I was kind of amazed to hear most hunters did not want the meat especially considering how good it was, the outfitter and their guides kept most of it they basically eat.moose all year long so.it was good to see.the rest would be used. The policy in Alaska the horns can actually not be packed out until all the meat has been packed out including the ribs, if you leave to much meat on the carcass you get a ticket for waste and the fish and game flys into anywhere.
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Big Yukon Pennisnsula Bull Moose - 09/28/18 08:48 AM

What a fine trophy and a great adventure! Congratulations!
Posted By: Toddthar

Re: Big Yukon Pennisnsula Bull Moose - 09/28/18 07:55 PM

My dream hunt!
Posted By: jeh7mmmag

Re: Big Yukon Pennisnsula Bull Moose - 09/28/18 08:23 PM

That is a dream hunt. Congratulation on a great looking rack. Unbelievable how big they get.
Posted By: dkershen

Re: Big Yukon Pennisnsula Bull Moose - 09/29/18 08:22 PM

Wow. Hunt of two lifetimes. up
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum