Re: Humming Bird - 09/10/18 12:08 AM

Great photo.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Humming Bird - 09/10/18 02:37 AM

Originally Posted By: Michael W.
Great photo.
Posted By: CGWBERETTA

Re: Humming Bird - 09/10/18 09:24 AM

Very nice photo. The Humming bird migration is in full force, my wife is feeding 3 quarts and 1 pint every 24 hours.
Posted By: Stub

Re: Humming Bird - 09/10/18 10:52 AM

up
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Humming Bird - 09/10/18 12:02 PM

Beautiful!
They are one of my favorite subjects too.

Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: Humming Bird - 09/10/18 12:35 PM

Great pics!
Hey NP, is that a pic from around Corsicana? I never get anything but regular ol Ruby Throated (But I get a swarm of them) in our area.

Re: Humming Bird - 09/10/18 12:39 PM

No that’s from our place in Montana. It’s a rufous hummingbird - only found in western states.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Humming Bird - 09/10/18 01:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
No that’s from our place in Montana. It’s a rufous hummingbird - only found in western states.

Actually Rufous and Allen's Hummingbirds are found in small parts of Texas at certain times of the year. They are out in Ft. Davis right now and seen photos of them from the past 2 weeks. Rufous are also in Rockport in Sept and October.

Here is some photos of my feeders yesterday morning while it was raining. I used a flash since it was so dark and zoomed out to show numbers. One photo I have has 31 in the photo of mainly Ruby-throated and Black-Chinned at 3 of the feeders. There was either a Rufous or Allen's females or juveniles here the day before but I was not able to tell what it was. Both are very aggressive at the feeders. Easy to spot them by their tail feather colors and aggressiveness. I am going through 3 quarts of sugar/water now out of 4 feeders from daylight to dark.
These are all Ruby-throated and Black-Chinned.

Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: Humming Bird - 09/10/18 01:14 PM

That's what I figured. Cool looking bird. My boss has some pics from a solid white female ruby throated that hung around a bed & breakfast near College station a couple of years ago.
Posted By: Buddy

Re: Humming Bird - 09/10/18 03:51 PM

I have 3 feeders out, there are about 4 or 5 that show up regularly. Funny watching them, there is one that is dominant and will chase all the others away if he/ she is close by. But nothing like the numbers STXRANCHMAN has in his pics.
Posted By: onlysmith&wesson

Re: Humming Bird - 09/10/18 08:40 PM

I gotta get my feeder going again, entertainment.
Posted By: TreeBass

Re: Humming Bird - 09/10/18 08:48 PM

great pics guys! Love sitting on the patio watching my feeder
Posted By: HWY_MAN

Re: Humming Bird - 09/10/18 10:10 PM

Originally Posted By: Buddy
I have 3 feeders out, there are about 4 or 5 that show up regularly. Funny watching them, there is one that is dominant and will chase all the others away if he/ she is close by. But nothing like the numbers STXRANCHMAN has in his pics.

Most I've ever seen was at a little restaurant in Capitan NM, they had a dozen feeders out and they were all full. He said he was probably feeding over 100 a day.
Posted By: NDN98

Re: Humming Bird - 09/10/18 11:37 PM

My favorite non-edible birds.

Re: Humming Bird - 09/11/18 07:27 AM

This is one of my favorites because the background lighting was just right:

Posted By: HWY_MAN

Re: Humming Bird - 09/11/18 11:19 AM

Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
This is one of my favorites because the background lighting was just right:

Getting the light right and the right pose seems to be the toughest part. I had to set the tripod up and ended up shooting about 30 pic's before I got what I wanted. In the process I learned a little trick that I suspect the good photographers already knew, trust your camera! Once I got everything set up and in focus I stopped looking through the camera or it's screen and kept my eye on the target and started getting better pictures. Too much delay when looking through the camera or at it. My new one has a Bluetooth setup so I can go hands free, set the camera up and back off.

Re: Humming Bird - 09/11/18 12:08 PM

Yes I’m slowly learning too. I have a long way to go but it’s fun. You are probably going to cost me $1000 because I’m jealous of that Nikon! grin
Posted By: heredeer

Re: Humming Bird - 09/11/18 02:46 PM

texas
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum