Texas Hunting Forum

Spike last year to a 9 pt this year

Posted By: Always ready 2 hunt

Spike last year to a 9 pt this year - 09/05/18 02:31 PM

We thought he would not survive when TC spotted him last year as a spike and collar looked tight around neck. This year the collar appears looser and he is a regular at feeders and growing out nice. The collar does not have any numbers or tracker on it that can been seen (have lots of pics). Guess is that someone put the collar on him as a fawn and now he has returned to the woods.

Posted By: TooLow

Re: Spike last year to a 9 pt this year - 09/05/18 02:34 PM

Very nice and different with it having a collar
Posted By: heredeer

Re: Spike last year to a 9 pt this year - 09/05/18 03:15 PM

lol35
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Spike last year to a 9 pt this year - 09/05/18 03:18 PM

When he starts rutting and that neck swells up, that is going to be an issue. What idiot does that?!
Posted By: ducknbass

Re: Spike last year to a 9 pt this year - 09/05/18 03:20 PM

Originally Posted By: unclebubba
When he starts rutting and that neck swells up, that is going to be an issue. What idiot does that?!

Yeah I'd ask the gw to get with a biologist and fart that rascal to remove that collar.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Spike last year to a 9 pt this year - 09/05/18 03:26 PM

Take that Kerr study!!!!
Posted By: Pope&Young

Re: Spike last year to a 9 pt this year - 09/05/18 03:27 PM

When I hunted Brady there was a buck that had a collar with a bell attached. You could hear him coming from a ways out.

Re: Spike last year to a 9 pt this year - 09/05/18 03:29 PM

Originally Posted By: ducknbass

Yeah I'd ask the gw to get with a biologist and fart that rascal to remove that collar.

Yep, I hate seeing this as I know it will be a problem for this buck. we have contacted GW to dart but deer did not show. I may ask for permission to tranquilize dart myself to remove collar as I'm sure he will show up while I'm on bow stand at some point.

Re: Spike last year to a 9 pt this year - 09/05/18 03:29 PM

Not sure what that's going to do, but at least you're doing something! LOL
Posted By: HuntnFly67

Re: Spike last year to a 9 pt this year - 09/05/18 03:30 PM

I know you meant dart, but it sure does read funny as typed!!
roflmao
roflmao
roflmao
roflmao
Posted By: ducknbass

Re: Spike last year to a 9 pt this year - 09/05/18 04:00 PM

clap
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Spike last year to a 9 pt this year - 09/05/18 04:12 PM

I wondered what happen to that sucker

Re: Spike last year to a 9 pt this year - 09/05/18 04:43 PM

Here's a pic from 2017

Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Spike last year to a 9 pt this year - 09/05/18 05:53 PM

Looks like someone bottle-raised him. Nice young 3pt.

Re: Spike last year to a 9 pt this year - 09/05/18 07:03 PM

yea, really went from a 3 pt last year to a 9pt this year. young deer and hope he survives if don't get that collar removed.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Spike last year to a 9 pt this year - 09/05/18 07:17 PM

Nice buck hope he figures out a way slot shed the collar
Posted By: txshntr

Re: Spike last year to a 9 pt this year - 09/05/18 07:22 PM

That’s going to suck for that deer.
Posted By: BOONER

Re: Spike last year to a 9 pt this year - 09/05/18 08:12 PM

Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
Take that Kerr study!!!!

Lol...but he wasn’t a true “spike” would probably be their response.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Spike last year to a 9 pt this year - 09/05/18 08:16 PM

Take that Kerr study!!!!

Until he turned out to be branched antlered and not a spike.

Re: Spike last year to a 9 pt this year - 09/05/18 08:33 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy
Take that Kerr study!!!!

Oh snap...those pesky little details. hammer Is that a crow I hear....
grin

Re: Spike last year to a 9 pt this year - 09/05/18 10:06 PM

Take that Kerr study!!!!

Wait I thought TPWD defines a spike as one unbranched antler per Kerr study.... correct me if I’m wrong

Re: Spike last year to a 9 pt this year - 09/05/18 10:08 PM

Take that Kerr study!!!!

Wait I thought TPWD defines a spike as one unbranched antler per Kerr study.... correct me if I’m wrong

1+1=2 or spike 1+2=3 or 3 pt. grin

Re: Spike last year to a 9 pt this year - 09/05/18 10:09 PM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Take that Kerr study!!!!

grin

As if you wouldn’t of culled him and used your spike tag roflmao

Oh snap...

Re: Spike last year to a 9 pt this year - 09/05/18 10:12 PM

Take that Kerr study!!!!

grin

As if you wouldn’t of culled him and used your spike tag roflmao

Oh snap...

Just playing the odds...playing the odds... grill Course it is always the unicorn that gets the publicity.

Re: Spike last year to a 9 pt this year - 09/05/18 10:12 PM

Take that Kerr study!!!!

I figured you had atleast 10 more years of sound mind.... well atleast I was right about spike aka <1 branched antler tag....

Re: Spike last year to a 9 pt this year - 09/05/18 10:17 PM

I figured you had atleast 10 more years of sound mind.... well atleast I was right about spike aka <1 branched antler tag....

What is your dilema for lack of common sense? You seem to know mine so I figure you could easily diagnose your lack of it... grin

Re: Spike last year to a 9 pt this year - 09/05/18 10:17 PM

offtopic By the way that is a great looking 2 yr old buck.
Posted By: CB327

Re: Spike last year to a 9 pt this year - 09/05/18 10:46 PM

I hope he comes to my stand. I will give you the collar back when I tag him. woot
Posted By: RattlesnakeDan

Re: Spike last year to a 9 pt this year - 09/05/18 11:09 PM

I would just get a handful of sweet feed and take it off him. He will probably readily come to you if you are slow and gentle with him. If not, he will look good on the wall come Christmas time. moose

Re: Spike last year to a 9 pt this year - 09/05/18 11:46 PM

What is your dilema for lack of common sense? You seem to know mine so I figure you could easily diagnose your lack of it... grin

I see you been working on your Juris Doctor circular arguments.... roflmao
Posted By: Daddybigbuck

Re: Spike last year to a 9 pt this year - 09/06/18 02:24 AM

I hate that he has the collar but what a great tool for you to be able to see the progression from a 3pt to a 9pt in one year. I hope you can let him go to see what he becomes next year.

Re: Spike last year to a 9 pt this year - 09/06/18 02:56 AM

Originally Posted By: Daddybigbuck
I hate that he has the collar but what a great tool for you to be able to see the progression from a 3pt to a 9pt in one year. I hope you can let him go to see what he becomes next year.

Yep the collar defeats the argument of "is it the same buck" year to year pic questions. Just corn year round and to my knowledge no protein on surrounding properties either and no ag crops in area. This is a small low fence property with surrounding hunters that I'm thinking will shoot him on site even though not mature. Waiting for rubbed out pics hoping he shrinks to not AR legal to hopefully give him a longevity chance. Pics of other bucs I have as compared to last year also showing some better development to which I'm surprised as this place is really hog infested to which we try to take fairly regularly year round. Just multiplying to dang fast.

I knew when I posted pic from last year of one unbranched antler split to barely call a 3pt would get some attention. Spike vs legal unbranched antler debate, lol. Point is young deer made a tremendous jump in antlers to a nice 9 pt this year on a small free range, low fence, non-protein, non-crop surrounding area place in very dry spring/summer, water is virtually gone on this property.
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: Spike last year to a 9 pt this year - 09/06/18 03:50 AM

Originally Posted By: HuntnFly67

I know you meant dart, but it sure does read funny as typed!!
roflmao
roflmao
roflmao
roflmao

Maybe he has some really potent farts???
Posted By: txshntr

Re: Spike last year to a 9 pt this year - 09/06/18 04:08 AM

Originally Posted By: Always ready 2 hunt
Originally Posted By: Daddybigbuck

Yep the collar defeats the argument of "is it the same buck" year to year pic questions. Just corn year round and to my knowledge no protein on surrounding properties either and no ag crops in area. This is a small low fence property with surrounding hunters that I'm thinking will shoot him on site even though not mature. Waiting for rubbed out pics hoping he shrinks to not AR legal to hopefully give him a longevity chance. Pics of other bucs I have as compared to last year also showing some better development to which I'm surprised as this place is really hog infested to which we try to take fairly regularly year round. Just multiplying to dang fast.

I knew when I posted pic from last year of one unbranched antler split to barely call a 3pt would get some attention. Spike vs legal unbranched antler debate, lol. Point is young deer made a tremendous jump in antlers to a nice 9 pt this year on a small free range, low fence, non-protein, non-crop surrounding area place in very dry spring/summer, water is virtually gone on this property.

Like some always tell me...."imagine what he would do if you fed protein" bang

Always cool to see progression pictures...just hate to see them that way. We had a deer that someone put a collar on. He made it to a 3yo before it finally started killing him and we shot him out of mercy. He was raised from a fawn and would be waiting when we went to put the corn out.
Posted By: Stub

Re: Spike last year to a 9 pt this year - 09/06/18 10:40 AM

Neat pic and cool story. Amazing the jump he made from a 3 point to what he is now in tough conditions up

Re: Spike last year to a 9 pt this year - 09/06/18 03:20 PM

I'd like to know if you are able to dart him and get the collar off. If you do, take pics and post them! If you can't get the collar off of him, you may end up having to put him out of his misery.

Re: Spike last year to a 9 pt this year - 09/06/18 03:23 PM

I'd like to know if you are able to dart him and get the collar off. If you do, take pics and post them! If you can't get the collar off of him, you may end up having to put him out of his misery.

It is not legal for just any individual to dart a deer in the wild in Texas without the approval or the proper permit.

Re: Spike last year to a 9 pt this year - 09/06/18 03:34 PM

It is not legal for just any individual to dart a deer in the wild in Texas without the approval or the proper permit.

Exactly, last year GW would not allow us to move forward with getting self approval to dart. Complicating factor is low fence free range to locate deer just when the GW/biologist comes out. Will be making inquiries again and may also ask for a permit for the collared buck only as last resort alternative if necessary.
Posted By: HuntnFly67

Re: Spike last year to a 9 pt this year - 09/06/18 07:46 PM

If he went from a 3 to a 9, then it stands to reason that as a 9 he will be a 27 pointer next year. hammer
Posted By: TooLow

Re: Spike last year to a 9 pt this year - 09/06/18 07:48 PM

roflmao clap ^^^^^^^

Re: Spike last year to a 9 pt this year - 09/06/18 07:53 PM

OP had mentioned that he was going to ask permission to dart and remove collar, which is why I had made the above comment.
Posted By: txbobcat

Re: Spike last year to a 9 pt this year - 09/06/18 08:08 PM

Take that Kerr study!!!!

Kerr study doesn't say a spike will always be a spike...
Posted By: emorydog

Re: Spike last year to a 9 pt this year - 09/07/18 12:54 AM

I believe I may just be able to shoot the collar of that deer with my quality optics and superior shooting skills. If it gets too tight and he bulks up to over 225# give me a ring. Sucks it’s on the animal....
Posted By: Savage388

Re: Spike last year to a 9 pt this year - 09/09/18 11:00 PM

That’s sad to see. If his neck doesn’t swell enough to restrict his blood flow and breathing, another buck will probably get a tine or two hung under it while fighting.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Spike last year to a 9 pt this year - 09/09/18 11:41 PM

I have a friend that had a doe that decided she was going to be a pet. She lived to be 17 years. He would put that surveying marking tape on her as a collar to tell which one she was, as she ran with the other deer. It was stretchy and would degenerate or get ripped off every few months, He would re-collar her when she came into the garage for dinner. He was afraid that a real collar would get hung on something or a buck would get an antler under it.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum