Texas Hunting Forum

Water Trough

Posted By: stxranchman

Water Trough - 08/18/18 09:31 PM

I was looking through some older pics and found some I had forgotten about. These were taken at a water trough in late January a couple of years. The amount of wildlife that a water source can draw is amazing. There are several different species of birds in these pics and I did not even get photos of some that were there. I was trying to get pics of birds in flight but to many moving in and out to focus on one specific bird.

Posted By: BuckImpson

Re: Water Trough - 08/18/18 09:35 PM

Cool. You near Uvalde?
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Water Trough - 08/18/18 09:36 PM

I like the 4th picture of the dove putting on the brakes

Re: Water Trough - 08/18/18 09:41 PM

Originally Posted By: BuckImpson
Cool. You near Uvalde?

No it is not near Uvalde.
Originally Posted By: SapperTitan
I like the 4th picture of the dove putting on the brakes

I actually like the first one with the Blue Quail on the far right stopped in mid-air jump. The series with the Blue Quail about to take flight off the back of the trough is nice also...just out of focus.
Posted By: cos

Re: Water Trough - 08/18/18 09:44 PM

Great pics. Now lets see that big BUCK.

Re: Water Trough - 08/18/18 09:48 PM

Originally Posted By: cos
Great pics. Now lets see that big BUCK.

Here is one old buck that was really worn down that late in the season that same afternoon.
Posted By: don k

Re: Water Trough - 08/18/18 10:12 PM

Great pictures Ranchman. I am finally seeing a few Bob White around here.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Water Trough - 08/18/18 11:06 PM

Excellent pictures.
I was looking at a Texas bird photography book a while back. It seemed as though catching the picture of a bird with wings out putting on the breaks was a popular picture that won several of the competitions. You have several in of those above.

Re: Water Trough - 08/18/18 11:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Simple Searcher
Excellent pictures.
I was looking at a Texas bird photography book a while back. It seemed as though catching the picture of a bird with wings out putting on the breaks was a popular picture that won several of the competitions. You have several in of those above.

Thanks. There is an art to it and I ain't got it...lol. I can get some pics like that but I do not try to since it is difficult for me. Those that are great at are usually good at wing shooting or skeet or trap. I have a friend who is very good, if not great at it. She can shoot a shotgun very well and takes excellent pics of birds in flight. She told me that a lot of people use birding apps to call the birds to them which would make it much easier.
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Water Trough - 08/19/18 12:03 AM

That old buck does really look run down. Photo's are great as usual.
Posted By: Stub

Re: Water Trough - 08/19/18 12:41 AM

coolpics up
Posted By: Michael W.

Re: Water Trough - 08/19/18 01:02 AM

Great shots. Wish we would get the GreenJays up here. Closest I ever see them is around Choke Canyon.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Water Trough - 08/19/18 01:10 AM

Originally Posted By: Stub
coolpics up
Posted By: Lotto

Re: Water Trough - 08/19/18 06:43 AM

Love the pics..
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Water Trough - 08/19/18 12:51 PM

Awesome pics. Didn't know the Blues were in your part of the state. cheers
Posted By: activescrape

Re: Water Trough - 08/19/18 02:00 PM

I really enjoyed these pics. thanks.
Posted By: Deerhunter61

Re: Water Trough - 08/19/18 02:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Stub
coolpics up
Posted By: mbavo

Re: Water Trough - 08/19/18 03:41 PM

Amazing photos as always!
Thanks for sharing!

Re: Water Trough - 08/19/18 04:33 PM

Thanks everyone.
Posted By: DQ Kid

Re: Water Trough - 08/19/18 09:27 PM

Cardinals, Green Jay's, Scaled Quail and Dove oh my! Surprised the Green Jay let any of the others get a drink. Really cool territorial birds. Used to see them try and runoff javelinas from the corned senderos in Webb/Zapata county.
Posted By: bucksnbass357

Re: Water Trough - 08/19/18 09:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator
Awesome pics. Didn't know the Blues were in your part of the state. cheers
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Water Trough - 08/19/18 11:43 PM

Awesome as always.....
Posted By: NDN98

Re: Water Trough - 08/20/18 02:33 AM

Beautiful pics. Love the variety!
Posted By: d.g.ruff

Re: Water Trough - 08/20/18 01:00 PM

I love water trough pics! I always think of that song "Cool Water", lol. And your pics are as awesome as always! Does your camera have a burst mode on it? I wonder if that would help capture them better, in flight? I have no idea, I'm certainly no photographer.

Re: Water Trough - 08/21/18 01:57 AM

Originally Posted By: d.g.ruff
I love water trough pics! I always think of that song "Cool Water", lol. And your pics are as awesome as always! Does your camera have a burst mode on it? I wonder if that would help capture them better, in flight? I have no idea, I'm certainly no photographer.

Mine is a 10 yr old camera that has a burst mode/continous shooting of 5-6 frames per second and IIRC 23 before it has to catch up with processing those frames. I think the newer model of mine can shoot 8 frames and up to 94. It was in the continous shooting on those pics and I was about 80-90 yards from the trough. So any bird moving was in focus for a frame or two then out of focus just as fast. I had my camera set on a 400 ISO and 1/640 for shooting those pics thru a 500mm lens set at F 5.6. If I had gone up on ISO and faster exposure time they would have been a bit more grainy in that lower light I would think. I am still learning how to use my cameras and self taught. So what I do is probably not correct. I use a lot of manual setting since I am trying to capture the clearest and crispest deer photos, not so much on the birds.
Thanks everyone.
Posted By: Lotto

Re: Water Trough - 08/21/18 03:16 AM

Wife has got me involved with her birding here and at the farm......Pretty neat.
Posted By: d.g.ruff

Re: Water Trough - 08/21/18 01:18 PM

Well you definitely have the deer picture taking down, lol. That one with the BIG buck by the water, and I think it was foggy....that has to be my all time favorite deer pic EVER! And all your pics are really good for a 10 year old camera. Keep up the good work! cheers
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Water Trough - 08/21/18 02:54 PM

Originally Posted By: BuckImpson
Cool. You near Uvalde?

They don't have blues near Uvalde.
Posted By: jeh7mmmag

Re: Water Trough - 08/21/18 09:35 PM

Great job on pictures. An Oasis and Haven for wildlife. cheers

Re: Water Trough - 08/22/18 01:48 AM

Thanks everyone
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum