Texas Hunting Forum

International Scout II

Posted By: Scott W

International Scout II - 08/17/18 03:31 PM

It's a 1977 and I'm a 1978. I got this when I was 16. had it painted inside and out, new upholstery, engine has been rebuilt and painted even though it wasn't really needed. Lifted it, added bumpers, roll bar, broke a rear axle off roading. Kept it in storage during college and it's been a 2nd vehicle ever since. I've wheeled it at a few off road parks across Texas, taken it hunting and on a few other road trips. Now I am doing good to drive it 10-15 miles on the weekend. Won't get rid of it because I've got many more dollars in it than anyone would ever give me for it. Also, my kids love it and my wife doesn't hate it.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Mickey Moose

Re: International Scout II - 08/17/18 03:36 PM

Very nice!
Posted By: ducknbass

Re: International Scout II - 08/17/18 03:55 PM

Nice. Very very nice
Posted By: Cast

Re: International Scout II - 08/17/18 03:58 PM

I would never get rid of it.
Posted By: Dalee7892

Re: International Scout II - 08/17/18 03:58 PM

Nice, those old ones do better than newer ones.
Posted By: garyrapp55

Re: International Scout II - 08/17/18 04:00 PM

That's cool Scott.
Posted By: chalet

Re: International Scout II - 08/17/18 04:04 PM

Nice rig. Who built the bumpers?
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: International Scout II - 08/17/18 04:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Cast
I would never get rid of it.

Awesome ride....Love those early Scouts and Broncos.... cheers
Posted By: TexasKC

Re: International Scout II - 08/17/18 05:16 PM

Nice rig! That's one of the most rugged vehicles ever made. A friend of mine out in New Mexico had one and we took that thing into some of the most desolate country I've ever been in. I've always wanted one.
Posted By: SouthWestIron

Re: International Scout II - 08/17/18 06:21 PM

Very nice rig!
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: International Scout II - 08/17/18 06:30 PM

Originally Posted By: SouthWestIron
Very nice rig!
Posted By: majekman

Re: International Scout II - 08/17/18 07:43 PM

Sweet!!
Posted By: HoldPoint

Re: International Scout II - 08/17/18 07:45 PM

much want....
Posted By: JimBridger

Re: International Scout II - 08/17/18 08:05 PM

Looks great!
Posted By: Halfadozen

Re: International Scout II - 08/17/18 08:42 PM

Nice rig and great restoration!
Posted By: Dennis in Ft Worth

Re: International Scout II - 08/17/18 09:28 PM

Wish IH still made them. I've had three, drove all over Texas, Oklahoma, Arizona and Alaska. Wish I could of hung on to at least one after moving around with the military. Saw a '72 for sale a few years back, the guy wanted something like $28K for it!

Posted By: TxAg

Re: International Scout II - 08/17/18 09:31 PM

Very nice, I always like the Scout. My best friend in high school had a 1974, while I had a 1975 Ford Pickup. His Scout was stolen, sucks.

Re: International Scout II - 08/17/18 10:07 PM

Originally Posted By: chalet
Nice rig. Who built the bumpers?

Anything Scout out of Iowa (I think. Somewhere Midwest). I love the bumpers. They let me customize mine slightly for no extra charge. I have. 2" body lift so they also incorporated higher bars so the parking lights wouldn't be blocked.

They specialize in LS swaps for Scouts and have built some sweet trucks but for a pretty penny.

Re: International Scout II - 08/17/18 10:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Halfadozen
Nice rig and great restoration!

The cool part is that it's not really a restoration, I just changed some cosmetics and a little suspension work. It was a driver when I bought it and aside from the paint and seats, everything g I've done to it has made it better on road or off.

The motor was fine I just wanted more power and had some change in my pocket and found a guy that specialized in IH rebuilds.

Re: International Scout II - 08/17/18 10:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Dennis in Ft Worth
Wish IH still made them. I've had three, drove all over Texas, Oklahoma, Arizona and Alaska. Wish I could of hung on to at least one after moving around with the military. Saw a '72 for sale a few years back, the guy wanted something like $28K for it!

Are those yours? All are cool and look like they were used as intended!

Some of the custom restorations are expensive but for the most part when people sell them they don't ask near enough in my biased opinion. A guy in my Scout club sold one similar to mine but with more suspension work for $7K. That's about half of what I have in mine and much less than it would take for me to hand over the keys.
Posted By: chalet

Re: International Scout II - 08/17/18 10:56 PM

Nice rigs Dennis.

Good shape older rigs are getting stupid expensive. Good news is if you restomod one I think you can recoup your build cost now whereas 10 years ago you'd have to eat most of it. I have a 72 Jimmy that hopefully is getting done, life just gets in the way. Should have bought a bunch of square body's when they were cheap. Pic from our lease in the 80's, I'd love to just have a good solid 70's burb with barn doors.

If I were you I'd hold onto that Scout forever.

Posted By: Bee'z

Re: International Scout II - 08/17/18 11:27 PM

Originally Posted By: garyrapp55
That's cool Scott.

up
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: International Scout II - 08/18/18 12:19 AM

Originally Posted By: majekman
Sweet!!

cheers
Posted By: mikei

Re: International Scout II - 08/18/18 01:47 AM

I had one when I was a service rep for IBM back in the late 60's. My territory was the oil patch south of Midland/Odessa, and that danged old Scout got me out to and back from some drilling operations that would have been impossible to reach in any other vehicle. I learned very quickly to turn the Warne hubs on BEFORE I left the paved roads!!
Posted By: RattlesnakeDan

Re: International Scout II - 08/18/18 02:26 AM

I souped up one of those old Binders and drove all the way through Mexico and all through Belize with it and everywhere in between. It was impounded (stolen)by a crooked duty officer in Punta Gorda Belize so I flew back to the states with no wheels. Fun days!
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: International Scout II - 08/18/18 02:52 AM

Originally Posted By: ducknbass
Nice. Very very nice

Re: International Scout II - 08/18/18 03:49 AM

I was in 7th grade when my love for binder started. Dad bought this one as a lease truck. We nicknamed it Billy Goat because it would climb anything we put in front of it. I can say that my scout will do more trails than I care to take it on.

Re: International Scout II - 08/18/18 03:51 AM

Originally Posted By: mikei
I had one when I was a service rep for IBM back in the late 60's. My territory was the oil patch south of Midland/Odessa, and that danged old Scout got me out to and back from some drilling operations that would have been impossible to reach in any other vehicle. I learned very quickly to turn the Warne hubs on BEFORE I left the paved roads!!

That's awesome.

Originally Posted By: RattlesnakeDan
I souped up one of those old Binders and drove all the way through Mexico and all through Belize with it and everywhere in between. It was impounded (stolen)by a crooked duty officer in Punta Gorda Belize so I flew back to the states with no wheels. Fun days!

That sucks!
Posted By: BowsnRods

Re: International Scout II - 08/18/18 07:00 AM

Very nice, my dad had one when I was very young and we lived in El Paso, lots of fun driving around the desert.
Posted By: Stub

Re: International Scout II - 08/18/18 10:54 AM

Good looking rig up
Posted By: Ruger1980

Re: International Scout II - 08/18/18 05:59 PM

Sweet ride!
Posted By: Ramsey

Re: International Scout II - 08/19/18 01:44 AM

My favorite vechile
Posted By: d.g.ruff

Re: International Scout II - 08/20/18 01:11 PM

Very nice! Much nicer than my old, blue '78, lol. But that sucker took me more places than I've been in any of my new pickups. And what sucks is...I traded it for a $1200 home stereo system bang I've still got the system, lol. That was back in the early 90's.
Posted By: landsurveyor

Re: International Scout II - 08/20/18 04:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator
Sweet!!

cheers
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: International Scout II - 08/20/18 05:06 PM

Originally Posted By: landsurveyor
Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator
Sweet!!

cheers
Posted By: Baldpate

Re: International Scout II - 08/21/18 05:30 PM

Those are great vehicles. Had on in the early 80's - painted gunmetal grey, matching the trailer for my duck boat (tiger pattern camo on it ). I was invincible in that thing! Took me places I couldn't have dreamed it would go, and never let me down. Gas mileage was rough, but you gotta make a few concessions.

Re: International Scout II - 08/21/18 08:52 PM

Appreciate it. I've taken this truck on some gnarly trails and it has made it through most of them pretty well. Since it's carbureted, it doesn't like steep inclines and starves for fuel.

Here's another video from Hidden Falls near Marble Falls. The GMC pick up is my brother. It's an 87 with TBI fuel injection, 1 ton axles and 37" tires so he has no problem going up this hill. You can hear my truck sputtering and starving for fuel because of the angle. The video doesn't do the angle justice. The pick up lifts the front driver tire slightly at the top. His wheel base is 140" compared to my 100". When I hit that bump, both my front tires were airborn, hence his reaction at the end.

Posted By: emorydog

Re: International Scout II - 08/28/18 01:21 AM

My I.H. Pickup with the 345 was the best machine I ever owned....too bad we sell things and realize 15-20 yrs later it was the perfect timeless vehicle.
Posted By: Trenton

Re: International Scout II - 08/28/18 04:10 AM

Very nice!
Posted By: R.M.

Re: International Scout II - 08/28/18 04:36 AM

Very nice indeed!!!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum