Texas Hunting Forum

Snake ID

Posted By: lds

Snake ID - 08/09/18 02:30 AM

Found this little guy today. My guess is baby eastern coachwhip. Found in edgewood
Posted By: dkershen

Re: Snake ID - 08/09/18 04:00 AM

Correct. Coachwhip. Good snake to have around.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Snake ID - 08/09/18 04:41 AM

Originally Posted By: dkershen
Posted By: Ramsey

Re: Snake ID - 08/09/18 06:30 AM

Coach whip
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Snake ID - 08/09/18 10:36 AM

up
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Snake ID - 08/09/18 12:53 PM

Originally Posted By: dkershen
cheers
Posted By: smokewagon84

Re: Snake ID - 08/09/18 12:59 PM

should be a dead snake!!!

Re: Snake ID - 08/09/18 01:00 PM

Originally Posted By: smokewagon84
rolleyes
Posted By: Capt.JVH

Re: Snake ID - 08/09/18 01:01 PM

I have a pair of those guys that live in my old barn. One is pushing 6 foot and about as fast as a top fuel dragster. I like having them around. They help with the rodents in a BIG way.
Posted By: ImTheReasonDovesMourn

Re: Snake ID - 08/09/18 02:59 PM

That coachwhip will eat the critters you don't want around, including venomous snakes. If you kill him, you're letting copperheads and cottonmouths live and breed. Not to mention all the rats and mice he'll take care of for you.
Posted By: FamousAmos

Re: Snake ID - 08/09/18 03:18 PM

Seriously? I'll never understand the city boy mentality.
Posted By: Son of a Blitch

Re: Snake ID - 08/09/18 04:27 PM

Originally Posted By: ImTheReasonDovesMourn

That coachwhip will eat the critters you don't want around, including venomous snakes. If you kill him, you're letting copperheads and cottonmouths live and breed. Not to mention all the rats and mice he'll take care of for you.

^^^Was going to post something similar. A lot of people don't understand the benefit of snakes in their habitat. I understand removing venomous snakes from areas where our habitats overlap. Some prefer to use a long stick to remove them, others a long gun barrel...I understand both sides in that decision.

Coachwhips and rat snakes are very appreciated near our house at the ranch. We let one rat snake live in our outdoor tool shed/laundry area. Before he moved in the mice would get in and chew the electric wire components out of everything in there. Once the rat snake moved in, we had zero problems. He wasn't aggressive, so we just gave each other some space and all was well. There are many videos of coachwhips taking out venomous snakes. They can also help you control your habitat in that way. We have a couple near the house and - maybe by chance, but probably not - we don't see any rattlesnakes as close to the house as we did before.

When I was a kid, I used to think every snake should be shot at the ranch. When I started to realize their benefits, that idea changed. I will say that if I see a rattlesnake or other venomous snake near the house, or in an area we are frequently around, I don't take chances. I relocate them to the freezer. I save the skin and eat the meat. I understand why others do the same, and I understand those that let them go on their way without harm.

Anyhow, I just wanted to share some benefits. It wasn't until I leaned that I evolved in how I thought. I encourage people to learn about the benefits and balances of all animals and plants in the habitats we hunt around. There's more to learn that just hitting your target.

2cents
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Snake ID - 08/09/18 04:37 PM

^^
||
I couldn't agree more with the above. We had a Rat snake that lived in our Life Jacket Locker for a few years. When we needed life jackets, we would remove him, get the life jackets out, and then put him back. Before he took up residence, we would have to replace the life jackets frequently because the mice would chew them.

Re: Snake ID - 08/09/18 04:49 PM

up

Re: Snake ID - 08/09/18 06:22 PM

Originally Posted By: George - w/ Map My Ranch
up
cheers
Posted By: lds

Re: Snake ID - 08/10/18 02:23 AM

the snake is alive and well, I will never kill another snake after mice caused over $1000.00 in damage to my tractors electrical system.
Posted By: ImTheReasonDovesMourn

Re: Snake ID - 08/10/18 04:11 AM

Originally Posted By: lds
the snake is alive and well, I will never kill another snake after mice caused over $1000.00 in damage to my tractors electrical system.

cheers

Re: Snake ID - 08/10/18 02:02 PM

Originally Posted By: ImTheReasonDovesMourn

cheers
I HATE rats and mice.....love me some snakes tho...up
Posted By: Choctaw

Re: Snake ID - 08/10/18 02:09 PM

Originally Posted By: SnakeWrangler
rolleyes

No kidding. That is a very beneficial snake to have hanging around.

Re: Snake ID - 08/10/18 02:53 PM

up
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum