Texas Hunting Forum

Fishing trip to Matagorda

Posted By: ChadTRG42

Fishing trip to Matagorda - 08/08/18 06:58 PM

My good buddy and long time shooting partner, (Josh Ruby with North Texas Rifle Precision) and I made a spur of the moment trip down to Matagorda over the weekend for some red and trout fishing. Our deep sea charter was cancelled at the last minute the day before due to weather, so we booked a bay fishing trip with Coach Floyd with Knee Deep Fishing Guide Service. Coach Floyd was great, and I highly recommend his service. We limited out on reds, and caught 2 keeper trouts. We caught a lot of little one's of everything.

Best video of the trip - HERE! !!

Here's our "fishing shack" on the water. I have been coming to this location since college. A good college buddy of mine owns it. The dock on the end is the prime night fishing location for plunking some reds and trout.

Video of some fishing:

Big 8# Red, 26" long. We were already limited out, so we had to let this monster go!

Reeling in Shamu!

World Record Catfish!!

Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Fishing trip to Matagorda - 08/08/18 11:11 PM

cheers
Been enjoying Matagorda bay since I was knee high to a grasshopper....

Lots of great times.... cheers
Posted By: Stub

Re: Fishing trip to Matagorda - 08/08/18 11:46 PM

Looks like a great time reeling and rocking cheers
Posted By: NTRP

Re: Fishing trip to Matagorda - 08/09/18 01:12 AM

First trip he and I have taken in 16 years where we weren't loading ammo the night before and stacking rifles in the truck lol
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: Fishing trip to Matagorda - 08/09/18 03:05 AM

Lucky bastage... That is awesome man. Nice fish too.
Posted By: Scott W

Re: Fishing trip to Matagorda - 08/09/18 03:53 AM

Awesome Chad!

Y'all must not have had any bananas on the boat. I learned last week in Cabo that bananas are bad luck when fishing, in Mexico at least. I've been on 10+ deep sea trips, caught all kinds of tuna, mahi mahi, wahoo and a 291# blue marlin and never knew bananas were bad luck until Humberto (first mate) saw mine and threw it overboard. I'll never make that mistake again.
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Fishing trip to Matagorda - 08/09/18 05:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Scott W
I learned last week in Cabo that bananas are bad luck when fishing,

Yes, big time!!! You ever watch Wicked Tuna? They had an episode where another fisherman stashed bananas all around another boat. It was funny.
Posted By: rickym

Re: Fishing trip to Matagorda - 08/09/18 05:55 PM

Good for y’all, glad to see you getting out there and enjoying yourself! up
Posted By: Sparta

Re: Fishing trip to Matagorda - 08/09/18 07:13 PM

Most charter captains are serious about not having bananas on the boat. I had a captain make me take off a Banana Republic shirt. I thought that was a little overboard but it's was his boat so I complied.
Posted By: d.g.ruff

Re: Fishing trip to Matagorda - 08/10/18 12:53 PM

Nice fish. I've been doing a lot of reading on Matagorda...I usually go to Port A, but I want to stay a little further south next time. And Matagorda and that area seems like it would suit me just fine.

Crap, I just realized, I meant Mansfield, Port Mansfield. I want to check out Port Mansfield...sorry, lol.
Posted By: wp75169

Re: Fishing trip to Matagorda - 08/11/18 12:51 AM

Shhh!!!! That’s my spot! Been going to Port O for a while fishing the bay. Trip earlier this summer we limited on reds and trout by about 10 in the morning. Check out the info on matagorda island. One thing I remember is the ridiculous rattlesnake population there.
Posted By: Judd

Re: Fishing trip to Matagorda - 08/11/18 02:47 AM

up
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum