Texas Hunting Forum

White Sandhill Crane.

Posted By: HWY_MAN

White Sandhill Crane. - 12/14/17 01:29 PM

Seen it headed to well and it was much closer at the time but I didn't have my camera. After lunch I went back out and it had moved to the back of the field almost a mile away.

Posted By: westtexaswatkins

Re: White Sandhill Crane. - 12/14/17 01:47 PM

Hard to tell from the pic but probably a whooping crane, which are very protected.

Re: White Sandhill Crane. - 12/14/17 01:51 PM

Originally Posted By: westtexaswatkins
Hard to tell from the pic but probably a whooping crane, which are very protected.

Not a Whooping Crane, it was much closer when I first spotted it and got a good look through the Bino's.
Posted By: mbavo

Re: White Sandhill Crane. - 12/14/17 02:02 PM

Wow!
That is really something!
Posted By: Dodge_Rock

Re: White Sandhill Crane. - 12/14/17 02:14 PM

Great find hunting with the camera!
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: White Sandhill Crane. - 12/14/17 02:16 PM

think twice before shoot

Re: White Sandhill Crane. - 12/14/17 02:23 PM

Originally Posted By: colt45
think twice before shoot

Wouldn't even consider shooting it but the hunt is on to get some better pictures. Those fields are pretty open and there's allot of eyes!
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: White Sandhill Crane. - 12/14/17 02:42 PM

up
Posted By: Stub

Re: White Sandhill Crane. - 12/14/17 02:45 PM

Neat picture up Does that mean it has white meat grin
Posted By: Capt.JVH

Re: White Sandhill Crane. - 12/14/17 02:50 PM

that's cool! I lived down north of Corpus for a long time and hunted primarily in the protection zone for sandhills so I got to bird watch tons of them while duck hunting. I always enjoyed the oddball color phased ones. Never did see a white one but plenty of others in multiple shades of grey and reds. Good spot!
Posted By: jeffbird

Re: White Sandhill Crane. - 12/14/17 03:08 PM

Hard to tell much from the photos, but the top and bottom photos show white with rust color, which is consistent with a juvenile Whooping Crane.

Posted By: elcasador

Re: White Sandhill Crane. - 12/14/17 03:48 PM

Man Good eye HWY_MAN up
I would have to think twice before taking that shot, a whooping crane fine is way too risky!
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: White Sandhill Crane. - 12/14/17 09:21 PM

That’s wild.

I always see more cranes in your neck of the woods than anywhere else. I worked on a pad just north of town that was surrounded by cotton fields. Every morning the sun was nearly blacked out with cranes. I loved watching that.
Posted By: NMGW

Re: White Sandhill Crane. - 12/14/17 09:53 PM

Originally Posted By: jeffbird
Hard to tell much from the photos, but the top and bottom photos show white with rust color, which is consistent with a juvenile Whooping Crane.

This ^^^^^

Re: White Sandhill Crane. - 12/14/17 11:05 PM

That rust color your seeing is actually pink showing on the leg's. Like I said earlier my first look at it was much closer and with bino's, my money still says Sandhill.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: White Sandhill Crane. - 12/15/17 12:42 AM

We used to see sandhills at our place, but I never saw a white one.
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: White Sandhill Crane. - 12/15/17 01:11 AM

There were a bunch of white birds with black wing tips mixed in with the cranes I saw take off south of Seymour day before yesterday.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: White Sandhill Crane. - 12/15/17 01:37 AM

Not sure what it is other than crane, hope you can get better pics HWY
Posted By: gusick

Re: White Sandhill Crane. - 12/15/17 02:20 AM

For the last several years, a hand full of common cranes have been showing up in West Texas and Eastern New Mexico.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: White Sandhill Crane. - 12/15/17 02:23 AM

Originally Posted By: HWY_MAN

That rust color your seeing is actually pink showing on the leg's. Like I said earlier my first look at it was much closer and with bino's, my money still says Sandhill.
shoot and find out for sure.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: White Sandhill Crane. - 12/15/17 02:30 AM

Originally Posted By: colt45
Originally Posted By: HWY_MAN

shoot and find out for sure.

Make sure you bring the Game Warden with you so he can properly identify it for you.....
Posted By: SilentKnightLLC

Re: White Sandhill Crane. - 12/15/17 02:31 AM

Thats really cool
Posted By: chital_shikari

Re: White Sandhill Crane. - 12/15/17 03:19 AM

This is super cool
Posted By: jeffbird

Re: White Sandhill Crane. - 12/15/17 04:21 AM

Originally Posted By: gusick
For the last several years, a hand full of common cranes have been showing up in West Texas and Eastern New Mexico.

Common Cranes are slate grey color, not white.

Please post better pictures if possible.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum