Texas Hunting Forum

Any Native American artifact guys out there

Posted By: lds

Any Native American artifact guys out there - 12/09/17 11:08 PM

Found the behind my house. There are a lot of them. I live on the first hill from the Sabine River bottoms in Edgewood, about 1/2 mile from the river as the crow flys. Neighbors have found some arrow heads, but i have not yet. My research found these to be “cooking balls”. They are made of iron ore. Give me your opinion. Thanks
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: Any Native American artifact guys out there - 12/10/17 01:54 AM

They look like rabbit turds.
Posted By: Scoop

Re: Any Native American artifact guys out there - 12/10/17 02:48 AM

I am thinking Hematite, a naturally occurring mineral(Iron oxide). I've found pockets of them around stream beds too. I think water rolls / weathers them into balls and deposits them in pockets. They are notably heavy and feel metallic. The ones I found were fairly rust colored. Not an abo artifact but when I found mine I did at first think maybe petrified Dino poo. But if its Hematite its basically just a neat rock.
Posted By: huntwest

Re: Any Native American artifact guys out there - 12/10/17 03:33 AM

That is hematite as said above.
We find tons of them out here.
Cooking balls were made of baked clay. They are pretty common to find in areas inhabited by non nomadic tribes such as the Pueblos
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Any Native American artifact guys out there - 12/10/17 03:46 AM

Originally Posted By: Sneaky
They look like rabbit turds.
clap
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Any Native American artifact guys out there - 12/10/17 03:50 AM

I think Sneaky has part of the answer, but I think they have been petrified. Or at least I would try to pass them off as petrified rabbit turds. You could even polish them and make bracelets and necklaces, but at this point, I would call them hematite. Double marketing.

clap

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum