Texas Hunting Forum

Another snake post...

Posted By: Megtwo

Another snake post... - 11/15/17 09:16 PM

One of these went into my yard drainage system and I think came out the front ditch and got run over. I am not a snake person, what is it?

Posted By: glb1955

Re: Another snake post... - 11/15/17 09:18 PM

Copperhead
Posted By: TooLow

Re: Another snake post... - 11/15/17 09:27 PM

Yep a nice Copperhead
Posted By: Megtwo

Re: Another snake post... - 11/15/17 09:47 PM

Anyway to keep them away from the house/yard? Concerned since grandkids will be around this weekend. Also have a nosey german shepherd who in the last week cornered a skunk (bad news for him and us) as well as a possum last night.
Posted By: n_rut

Re: Another snake post... - 11/15/17 10:03 PM

Not a snake you want around with grandkids. Not trying to create fear, but from experience with this species at the lease theirs usually more than one snake. They can be very aggressive and hide themselves very well. I unzipped a pop-up blind in October and discovered 3 in the blind. If the floor wasn't bare dirt in the blind, things might have gotten interesting. Be on the lookout and be safe.
Posted By: TooLow

Re: Another snake post... - 11/15/17 10:07 PM

There are snake repellants you can buy like sprays and pellets. Look them up on Google or Yahoo
Posted By: Dalroo

Re: Another snake post... - 11/15/17 10:15 PM

That was a pretty healthy copperhead. They can be aggressive and carry a pretty bad wallop. No advice other than to train the grandkids to watch where they step and to not pick up things without knowing what is under it first.
Posted By: Rwbrew3

Re: Another snake post... - 11/15/17 10:55 PM

That’s a big dude, but they do not travel in groups,, not saying there isn’t more of them but this time of year they are looking to go underground. The post above is spot on, educating the GKids to be cautios is your best avenue.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Another snake post... - 11/15/17 11:22 PM

Originally Posted By: TooLow
Yep a nice Copperhead
Yup....nice looking southern copperhead.....I have two of them right now.....down to just one diamondback.....

Good looking snake.....

Re: Another snake post... - 11/15/17 11:24 PM

There are snake repellants you can buy like sprays and pellets. Look them up on Google or Yahoo

They don't work.....Jes sayin......
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Another snake post... - 11/16/17 12:00 AM

Yep a nice Copperhead
Posted By: Stub

Re: Another snake post... - 11/16/17 12:12 AM

Originally Posted By: SnakeWrangler

They don't work.....Jes sayin......

Wrangler correct me if I am wrong, Copperheads are not very aggressive dang near have to step on one to get bit, usually where there is one there are more.

Re: Another snake post... - 11/16/17 12:16 AM

I have never had one "chase" me or try to strike at me if I wasn't messin with it. Most just stay very, very still and try to hide......

Cotton mouths are even more "docile".....non-venomous water snakes (especially diamond backed water snakes) act all billy-bad-azz and strike at you and even "chase" after you.....
Posted By: 7mag

Re: Another snake post... - 11/16/17 01:26 AM

Originally Posted By: Megtwo
Anyway to keep them away from the house/yard? Concerned since grandkids will be around this weekend. Also have a nosey german shepherd who in the last week cornered a skunk (bad news for him and us) as well as a possum last night.

Why yes. It's called a 12 gauge
Posted By: ChrisB

Re: Another snake post... - 11/16/17 01:30 AM

Had one just like it under my chair one morning in a pop up blind in Brownwood. Ended up seeing several on that lease while hunting.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Another snake post... - 11/16/17 03:14 AM

get yourself a pet pig, they take care of snakes.
Posted By: Deerhunter61

Re: Another snake post... - 11/16/17 03:31 AM

While hunting with a buddy I stepped right over a copperhead. It was coiled and ready to strike. He called me once I had cleared it and had me look where I'd just walked and I saw the Copperhead...my knees became a little wobbly for a moment but it was obvious he just wanted to be left alone but as I recall he became a good snake pretty fast.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Another snake post... - 11/16/17 05:21 AM

rifle
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Another snake post... - 11/16/17 06:12 AM

Might not travel in groups but have killed 4 in one night within a few feet of each other. That was summer though at night. We only see them on warm nights. None this year luckily. But the rattlesnakes replaced them!
Posted By: ChanceHuiet

Re: Another snake post... - 11/16/17 06:58 AM

My buddies place is copperhead haven. When he finds one in his yard you can start looking and find 5-6 more every time.
Posted By: Mako1970

Re: Another snake post... - 11/16/17 01:04 PM

I have never had one "chase" me or try to strike at me if I wasn't messin with it. Most just stay very, very still and try to hide......

Cotton mouths are even more "docile".....non-venomous water snakes (especially diamond backed water snakes) act all billy-bad-azz and strike at you and even "chase" after you.....

You are one of the very few people who see snake behavior as I have seen it. I love that term "docile". Very fitting. I haven't played with many copperheads but I have played with lots of cottonmouths. Docile is the perfect term for them. They just lay there, sometimes open their mouth. Once you start messing with them, they coil, rattle their tail, lay their head back and open that mouth real wide but never have I had one strike at me.
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Another snake post... - 11/16/17 01:14 PM

Thy den up this time of year. Be careful more could be around.

Posted By: Buddy

Re: Another snake post... - 11/16/17 01:55 PM

nice work on skinning that one out, what are you gonna use it for?
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Another snake post... - 11/16/17 02:38 PM

Thanks. Not sure. It's still soaking. I have another the same size in the freezer.
Posted By: Opening Day

Re: Another snake post... - 11/16/17 02:53 PM

I have had several non docile encounters with cotton mouths. I have found them to be very aggressive.
Posted By: Jon B

Re: Another snake post... - 11/16/17 05:20 PM

Copperheads may not kill your grandkids but will dang sure make em sick as all get out. Check woodpiles and leaf litter. There are probably more.
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: Another snake post... - 11/16/17 10:01 PM

Yep a nice Copperhead
Yup....nice looking southern copperhead.....I have two of them right now.....down to just one diamondback.....

Good looking snake.....

^^^^^^ Agree its a 'Southern' but it is almost marked (in places) like a Broadband or southern/broad-banded intergrade.

Beautiful Copperhead, excellent markings.
Posted By: P1DTAY

Re: Another snake post... - 11/17/17 02:40 PM

Last house we bought was on a couple acres in Denton County. I killed 4 copperheads the first week we were there, and saw several more. I am a firm believer in sulfur. I put some down over the whole property and never saw one again. As a bonus the skunks that lived under the shed moved on as well. I re-apply it every fall.
Posted By: kphilli66

Re: Another snake post... - 11/17/17 07:50 PM

How does it work on fleas and ticks?
Posted By: Halfadozen

Re: Another snake post... - 11/17/17 07:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Megtwo
make sure there are no hiding places for them. They love brush and wood piles. This time of year they will crawl into blown leaf piles against a fence as well. Have also heard sulfur works as well. My property in Parker County backs up to a heavily wooded ranch so it is very common to see them, especially at night. They will seek out the warmth of a patio or driveway.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum