Texas Hunting Forum

Melanistic Buck - been waiting to share this with y'all!

Posted By: Son of a Blitch

Melanistic Buck - been waiting to share this with y'all! - 09/07/17 05:42 PM

This is a picture of a melanistic whitetail buck I harvested on Nov. 11, 2016 at my family's ranch in Central Texas. I have been waiting to share this picture and story with y'all for the last 10 months! I wrote an article about "Black Beauty," as we called him, and the article was just published in Quality Whitetails magazine this month (QDMA's magazine). I gave them first right's to the story, so I had to keep this private until the magazine came out. I have a copy of the article on my website. Feel free to check it out when you get a chance if you want to check out the full story: http://www.mapmyranch.com/black-beauty.html

~George Blitch
Posted By: bigjoe8565

Re: Melanistic Buck - been waiting to share this with y'all! - 09/07/17 05:47 PM

That's an awesome deer.
Posted By: TooLow

Re: Melanistic Buck - been waiting to share this with y'all! - 09/07/17 05:48 PM

Sweet Buck.
Posted By: Bucks and Ducks

Re: Melanistic Buck - been waiting to share this with y'all! - 09/07/17 05:52 PM

awesome story and buck
Posted By: Txhuntr2

Re: Melanistic Buck - been waiting to share this with y'all! - 09/07/17 06:02 PM

That's awesome! Thanks for sharing. Here's hoping his offspring display the same coloration.
Posted By: ErnestTBass

Re: Melanistic Buck - been waiting to share this with y'all! - 09/07/17 06:37 PM

Very cool deer. Great pic of it in your link.
Posted By: ZK-315

Re: Melanistic Buck - been waiting to share this with y'all! - 09/07/17 06:43 PM

Thanks for sharing. Great story and awesome buck!
Posted By: elcasador

Re: Melanistic Buck - been waiting to share this with y'all! - 09/07/17 07:08 PM

Originally Posted By: ZK-315

X2 cheers
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Melanistic Buck - been waiting to share this with y'all! - 09/07/17 07:14 PM

Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: DirtNapTET

Re: Melanistic Buck - been waiting to share this with y'all! - 09/07/17 07:26 PM

Great story, and an awesome buck sir!
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Melanistic Buck - been waiting to share this with y'all! - 09/07/17 07:30 PM

Originally Posted By: DirtNapTET
Posted By: cameron00

Re: Melanistic Buck - been waiting to share this with y'all! - 09/07/17 07:49 PM

That's one hell of a trophy. Good job and congrats.
Posted By: JTS

Re: Melanistic Buck - been waiting to share this with y'all! - 09/07/17 08:03 PM

What kind of mount did you get? Full body?
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Melanistic Buck - been waiting to share this with y'all! - 09/07/17 08:11 PM

Originally Posted By: elcasador
Originally Posted By: ZK-315

X2 cheers

Amazing looking buck...

Re: Melanistic Buck - been waiting to share this with y'all! - 09/07/17 08:19 PM

Thanks, everyone. It has been a very special journey for the first day I saw him to putting out the story and pics. Glad to finally be able to share it with y'all.

I got a shoulder mount done. Will post some pics tomorrow. Got it back and it turned out great!

Also, in the printed article from Quality Whitetails, there is a subsection that discusses melanistic deer. I've cut and pasted it here to check out. Cool info:
Posted By: DocHorton

Re: Melanistic Buck - been waiting to share this with y'all! - 09/07/17 08:21 PM

Fantastic story and buck. That is a true trophy! I did the same thing last year with hunting one single specific deer...it's truly satisfying to get the One you are after. Congrats!
Posted By: Old Rabbit

Re: Melanistic Buck - been waiting to share this with y'all! - 09/07/17 10:50 PM

Thats the biggest one I have ever seen. We have a few but a 6 point is the largest we have seen.
Yours is almost beyond belief, great story and trophy.
Posted By: NDN98

Re: Melanistic Buck - been waiting to share this with y'all! - 09/08/17 12:06 AM

Fantastic buck. One of the better racks I have seen on a melanistic buck.
Posted By: Michael W.

Re: Melanistic Buck - been waiting to share this with y'all! - 09/08/17 12:21 AM

Thats probably the best melanistic buck I have seen. I see several a year around here but they never seem to amount to much.

Congrats
Posted By: B_Rod

Re: Melanistic Buck - been waiting to share this with y'all! - 09/08/17 12:23 AM

Great article. Congrats on a once-in-a-lifetime buck. What are the odds he sired another melanistic whitetail?
Posted By: b weezy

Re: Melanistic Buck - been waiting to share this with y'all! - 09/08/17 02:18 AM

Originally Posted By: JTS
yup, I wana see the mount! Also was his left ear messed up? Regardless he's an amazing deer!
Posted By: Deerhunter61

Re: Melanistic Buck - been waiting to share this with y'all! - 09/08/17 11:54 AM

Originally Posted By: bigjoe8565
That's an awesome deer.
Posted By: dlrz71

Re: Melanistic Buck - been waiting to share this with y'all! - 09/08/17 12:46 PM

awesome buck and story. Really enjoyed it. Congrats on an awesome buck!!! cheers
Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: Melanistic Buck - been waiting to share this with y'all! - 09/08/17 03:21 PM

That is cool. I've seen a bunch of piebald deer and one albino, but never a melanistic deer.
Posted By: dkershen

Re: Melanistic Buck - been waiting to share this with y'all! - 09/08/17 03:38 PM

Very cool!!
Posted By: TexasKC

Re: Melanistic Buck - been waiting to share this with y'all! - 09/09/17 03:27 AM

Well done, George.
Posted By: d.g.ruff

Re: Melanistic Buck - been waiting to share this with y'all! - 09/09/17 01:07 PM

Dang, doin it right! Congratulations, Mr. George!
Posted By: SlaminEm

Re: Melanistic Buck - been waiting to share this with y'all! - 09/10/17 12:18 PM

that is one awesome buck and story. as any story does they end but you can look at the buck and think of all the memories you have.
Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Re: Melanistic Buck - been waiting to share this with y'all! - 09/10/17 01:40 PM

Wow, almost did not click on this! Congrats and thanks for posting this!!!
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: Melanistic Buck - been waiting to share this with y'all! - 09/11/17 12:39 AM

Great read and congrats on an awesome unique buck.
Posted By: GimmeABuck

Re: Melanistic Buck - been waiting to share this with y'all! - 09/11/17 04:14 PM

Wow, just an amazing animal!
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Melanistic Buck - been waiting to share this with y'all! - 09/11/17 09:18 PM

Beautiful!
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Melanistic Buck - been waiting to share this with y'all! - 09/12/17 12:02 AM

That is a good looking deer
Posted By: bucksnbass357

Re: Melanistic Buck - been waiting to share this with y'all! - 09/12/17 01:41 AM

Originally Posted By: DirtNapTET
Posted By: JTS

Re: Melanistic Buck - been waiting to share this with y'all! - 09/12/17 02:43 AM

Looking forward to pics of the mount.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Melanistic Buck - been waiting to share this with y'all! - 09/12/17 01:15 PM

Great buck and story George. Congrats! cheers
Posted By: txhunter1010

Re: Melanistic Buck - been waiting to share this with y'all! - 09/12/17 01:39 PM

Nice man congrats! Lets see him!!

Re: Melanistic Buck - been waiting to share this with y'all! - 09/12/17 04:51 PM

Here's some pics of the mount! Sorry it took me a while - been busy.
Glad y'all enjoyed the story and pics. I enjoyed writing about the experience and lead up to the hunt for him. It's been fun to share with everyone.

Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Melanistic Buck - been waiting to share this with y'all! - 09/12/17 04:52 PM

my oh my! that's a fine looking mount. Congrats!

Re: Melanistic Buck - been waiting to share this with y'all! - 09/12/17 04:52 PM

Originally Posted By: b weezy
Originally Posted By: JTS
yup, I wana see the mount! Also was his left ear messed up? Regardless he's an amazing deer!

The left ear had that fold in some of the pictures that were taken of him, but not all. Not sure what he had going on.
Posted By: Slimpickin

Re: Melanistic Buck - been waiting to share this with y'all! - 09/12/17 07:20 PM

Amazing Story!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum