Texas Hunting Forum

2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt

Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 04/23/17 07:14 PM

Booked a 2017 Dall sheep hunt in the Yukon back in 2015..... and now August is fast approaching. 10 day hunt 8/9-8/19. This thread will be a diary of sorts. Flights, hotel before/after hunt all booked. Now in the "getting ready" stage. Which is half the fun. smile Carrying my Sako Finnlight in .300 WSM (.30 cal because I will have a grizzly tag) - it prints little groups with the 180 grain TSXs I wanted to use. So all good there.

As always, my pool table has become a gear table for the hunt. Not all of this will make the cut, but if it made it this far it's definitely in the running:

I've lost 20 lbs since New Years - that's 20 lbs I won't have to hump up the Pelly mountains. Exercising now and intensifying it as the hunt draws near. At my age (53) a balance between good exercise but not hurting oneself is called for, especially with my hinky back which forced me to give up running a few years ago.

Speaking of a few years ago, here's me 11 years ago on my last trip to the Yukon for Fannin (Stone's) sheep:

I now weigh the same, but unfortunately have added some miles since then.

Anyway, hope some of you might enjoy going along on this adventure with me.
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 04/23/17 07:26 PM

Looking forward to this.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 04/23/17 07:41 PM

Watching!

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 04/23/17 07:53 PM

Already got 2 pieces of good news re: flights.
1)Kept checking and re-checking until I was allowed to use the same # of CC miles as a domestic round trip ticket. Whoo!
2)Airline recently upgraded me to first class on the flights up (DFW to Vancouver and Vancouver to Whitehorse). Whoo-hoo!

Had a heckuva time exploring all the flight options. What it all boiled down to was that there is one late flight daily (8:00 PM) from Vancouver to Whitehorse. You can get to Vancouver numerous ways with two legs of flying, but the only direct flight that worked leaves DFW at 7:00 AM and at arrives at 10:00 AM or so.

Result: a long day sitting in the Vancouver airport. May make a quick trip into the city but likely will just stay put (I've seen it twice before).

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 04/23/17 08:02 PM

Going with Tim Mervyn's outfit. Wonderful family operation with consistent success for their hunters on nice rams. Some clients hunt from cabins and some ride out on horses and spike hunt in the mountains. Guessing he has me penciled in the latter category since he told me to bring my sleeping bag, pad, and tent. Which is fine with me.

Here's a few "Christmas cards" showing all the rams taken each year:

Posted By: MikeC

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 04/23/17 08:02 PM

I'll be watching. Good luck!
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 04/23/17 08:22 PM

Have a safe trip

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 04/23/17 08:36 PM

Would appreciate any gear "hacks" that you guys have found to be useful on your hunts.

Examples of a couple of mine are Starbucks Via instant coffee packets and a lightweight "buff"/silk scarf for both cold and sun protection. Both are lifesavers for me.

I also use trekking poles and have found them to be lifesavers while climbing. Some prefer them, some use one, and some don't like them at all.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 04/23/17 09:13 PM

Good luck with your hunt NP. up
Posted By: Theringworm

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 04/23/17 10:16 PM

Subscribing..... On the "To Do List" for sure.

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 04/23/17 10:18 PM

Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
Would appreciate any gear "hacks" that you guys have found to be useful on your hunts.

Examples of a couple of mine are Starbucks Via instant coffee packets and a lightweight "buff"/silk scarf for both cold and sun protection. Both are lifesavers for me.

I also use trekking poles and have found them to be lifesavers while climbing. Some prefer them, some use one, and some don't like them at all.

I didn't do coffee but do use mtn ops yeti as me energy drink replacement.

Bucees has a rub called "carnivore blk" I'm adding it to what I call my "meat eater" pull out. Aka spices, etc.
For back county meat.

As far as trekking poles. Texas company called Pacemaker Stix, is a bargain

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 04/23/17 10:28 PM

Thanks Bobo I knew you'd have some good ones. Please add any more that come to you. up

One key some may not know on international travel is to have Form 4473s listing all your rifles, scopes, cameras, and optics with their serial #s. They can be obtained online, print them off, list all your serialized gear, and take it to a U.S. Customs office for signing and stamping by an officer. This form proves you owned/took the gear in with you and didn't buy it in the country visited. Canadian customs doesn't care but I have had more trouble with U.S. Customs on the return trip than anyone else. Go figure. This form cuts through all the red tape.
Posted By: Stub

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 04/23/17 10:31 PM

Good luck, be safe and great hunting up Take plenty of pics!
Posted By: LuckyHunter

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 04/23/17 11:17 PM

Have a great trip. Enjoy every moment and remember it's already successful.

MOLESKIN

Drop him before he rolls down the mountain... if possible
Posted By: Texasphez

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 04/23/17 11:52 PM

Already got 2 pieces of good news re: flights.
1)Kept checking and re-checking until I was allowed to use the same # of CC miles as a domestic round trip ticket. Whoo!
2)Airline recently upgraded me to first class on the flights up (DFW to Vancouver and Vancouver to Whitehorse). Whoo-hoo!

Had a heckuva time exploring all the flight options. What it all boiled down to was that there is one late flight daily (8:00 PM) from Vancouver to Whitehorse. You can get to Vancouver numerous ways with two legs of flying, but the only direct flight that worked leaves DFW at 7:00 AM and at arrives at 10:00 AM or so.

Result: a long day sitting in the Vancouver airport. May make a quick trip into the city but likely will just stay put (I've seen

it twice before).

Been there done that! Only so much to see in Vancouver airport= a long day of boredom!

Tim and Jen are good people, I would hunt with them again anytime! Have fun and I'll be waiting for pictures!

My only advice I can add is; find a horse, and spend sometime riding before you go! And if your knees start hurting while in the saddle lengthen your stirrups!

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 04/24/17 12:04 AM

Oh don't forget gorilla tape wrapped lighters. Insta fix everything but including hotspots

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 04/24/17 12:18 AM

Had that one BOBO. smile

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 04/24/17 12:19 AM

AJ I'll take that beauty no questions asked! up
Posted By: jae011

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 04/24/17 01:20 AM

Good luck! I will be in the brooks range for Caribou next year as well as BC for moose. Im counting down the days and it seems like the days are crawling by.

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 04/24/17 01:22 AM

I don't go anywhere in the backcountry without Leukotape. I religiously put it on day one where I am prone to getting hotspots. From a 3 day 50 mile alpine backpacking trip to 9 day hunts It hasn't let me down yet.

I'll second the trekking poles. Huge fan. I am partial to Leki's but....

I like Gear Aids Tenacious tape over duct tape. To me it seems to have better adhesive for cloth repairs that will be exposed to rain (personal rain gear, rain fly, tent etc). Plus it comes in small size rolls.

For chaffing prevention and moisture absorption I like using the single use packets of 2Toms Blister Shield. Very lightweight, dump it where you want it and you are good to go.
Posted By: jeh7mmmag

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 04/24/17 01:42 AM

Thanks for sharing. We will be watching, and Have a good safe trip.
Posted By: A.B.

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 04/24/17 02:21 AM

Originally Posted By: Sneaky
Looking forward to this.

X2

Good luck brother!

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 04/24/17 02:56 AM

Originally Posted By: Theringworm
I don't go anywhere in the backcountry without Leukotape. I religiously put it on day one where I am prone to getting hotspots. From a 3 day 50 mile alpine backpacking trip to 9 day hunts It hasn't let me down yet.

I'll second the trekking poles. Huge fan. I am partial to Leki's but....

I like Gear Aids Tenacious tape over duct tape. To me it seems to have better adhesive for cloth repairs that will be exposed to rain (personal rain gear, rain fly, tent etc). Plus it comes in small size rolls.

For chaffing prevention and moisture absorption I like using the single use packets of 2Toms Blister Shield. Very lightweight, dump it where you want it and you are good to go.

GAT works to good on skin. The blk gorilla tape works a whole lot better then duck tape. But also wont eat your skin

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 04/24/17 03:02 AM

Had that one BOBO. smile

Ha!!

Don't forget lip balm, doubles for anti chafing
Posted By: Bee'z

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 04/24/17 03:29 AM

Originally Posted By: Stub
Good luck, be safe and great hunting up Take plenty of pics!

cheers
Posted By: sparrish8

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 04/24/17 03:54 AM

Should be an awesome hunt, ill be following the thread

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 04/24/17 03:55 AM

Thanks for the suggestions and interest guys! Sharing the hunt with guys that are interested just adds another layer of fun to the adventure.
sheephunter is right, the success is in the journey, not just the outcome. Glad to have you guys along with me.
Posted By: swmays

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 04/24/17 04:12 AM

I look forward to following this thread. Best of luck to you!
Posted By: LBG Safaris

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 04/24/17 10:09 AM

Looking forward to the hunt report. Remember to add a few pictures.
Good luck and enjoy the hunt.
Posted By: NDN98

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 04/24/17 11:38 AM

Looking forward to your hunt stories and pictures!
Posted By: don k

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 04/24/17 11:48 AM

You are going to drive yourself crazy before August. Probably wear stuff out packing and unpacking. When you go have a safe and fun hunt. Make sure you take along a 223 for a back up gun.

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 04/24/17 11:56 AM

Originally Posted By: don k
You are going to drive yourself crazy before August. Probably wear stuff out packing and unpacking. When you go have a safe and fun hunt. Make sure you take along a 223 for a back up gun.

grin

I wish dawaba were still with us. He always enjoyed these types of threads and sharing hunting adventures. We used to keep the PMs flying when one or the other of us was going on another adventure. Though he outpaced me about 5 to 1.
Posted By: d.g.ruff

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 04/24/17 12:54 PM

Very cool....I'll be watching!
Posted By: BarneyWho

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 04/24/17 03:07 PM

One key some may not know on international travel is to have Form 4473s listing all your rifles, scopes, cameras, and optics with their serial #s. They can be obtained online, print them off, list all your serialized gear, and take it to a U.S. Customs office for signing and stamping by an officer. This form proves you owned/took the gear in with you and didn't buy it in the country visited. Canadian customs doesn't care but I have had more trouble with U.S. Customs on the return trip than anyone else. Go figure. This form cuts through all the red tape.

So much this. Saved my bacon coming back into the US from a Canada duck/goose hunt. Also, don't walk into custom office with guns before going in and letting them know what you are there for. Don't ask me how I know. blush

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 04/24/17 04:23 PM

Originally Posted By: BarneyWho

So much this. Saved my bacon coming back into the US from a Canada duck/goose hunt. Also, don't walk into custom office with guns before going in and letting them know what you are there for. Don't ask me how I know. blush

You are that guy I heard about..... lol

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 04/24/17 05:01 PM

Originally Posted By: SheepHunter

He is a rather large distraction as it is. He Is like 6'10
Posted By: BarneyWho

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 04/24/17 05:35 PM

Originally Posted By: SheepHunter

Let's just say walking in with said guns while declaring "I got guns!" was not those most appropriate way to enter the customs office. grin
Posted By: Bass&More

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 04/24/17 06:04 PM

up peep
Posted By: 2000cbr929

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 04/25/17 03:21 PM

Mervyns is a great outfit. I have a few good friends that have hunted with him in the past and all have had nothing but great things to say. I will be up there hunting the mountain caribou in 2019.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 04/25/17 04:31 PM

keep us updated, love this stuff
Posted By: NewGulf

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 04/25/17 04:50 PM

Take LOTS of pics! up
Posted By: Hirogen

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 04/26/17 03:37 AM

Looks like an awesome trip.

Gear wise:

Bison wool socks (or better yet if you can find it is Qiviut wool) - better than merino or any synthetic
850+ Down for the sleeping bag - if you are certain you can keep it dry. This one is less than 2lb and will do you to a few degrees below freezing: https://marmot.com/equipment-sleeping-bags-down-sleeping-bags/ion/23180.html
Icebreaker Merino base layers
Lowa Renegade GTX boots if you are doing as much walking as I think you are
DEET
Sitka or Kuiu rain gear
Light 850+ down bomber
Last but not least - a bottle of 16 year old Lagavulin

Best of luck. Looking forward to the pics.

Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 04/26/17 03:27 PM

Good luck!

One Day......

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 04/27/17 04:02 PM

Talking about socks and ointment is good and all but what we really need to see is pics of this Sako

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 04/27/17 04:08 PM

Lol I'll throw some up later. But I've seen the times where I would almost trade my rifle for some dry socks and butt ointment. Almost. smile
Posted By: Cajun Raider

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 04/27/17 06:18 PM

You may have already thought of this but "Performance" underwear made a big difference for me on Moose and Caribou hunts plus sunglasses. Have a great and safe hunt.
Posted By: Duck Buster

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 04/27/17 06:24 PM

I got drawn for a Kodiak Mountain goat hunt this year in September. I applied for fun, not thinking I would get drawn. Of course, first time applicant and I get drawn.I already had a mountain goat hunt booked in a different zone on Kodiak for 2018....so now I will have a chance to shoot another goat.

But, now I am preparing for a mountain goat hunt, and spending $$ on gear like it nobodies business. Bought a Kifaru pack (not arrived yet), and backpacking gear. I've backpacked a bunch, but always borrowed gear from family and friends. Time to grow up and get my own.

This thread is helping me out as well for gear to bring/leave, as hunts are similar. I am going to do a solo do-it-yourself hunt, because I can't afford anything else. I have a couple buddies who have done it themselves in the same area, but in a group, and say it can be done. I just have to be in even better shape because I gotta haul EVERYTHING up and down myself. Good luck on your sheep hunt, and I will be following this thread as well!

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 04/27/17 07:01 PM

Wow Duck Buster sounds like a great adventure. Take a DeLorme with you, have fun, and good luck!

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 04/27/17 09:26 PM

Wow Duck Buster sounds like a great adventure. Take a DeLorme with you, have fun, and good luck!

Thanks. I already have a delorme I use when I got on long distance/cross country trips via snow machine. It is definitely a top priority on these trips.

One thing I didn't read on this thread, that I have been advised, is to pack clothes in drybags/ziplocks. That way if a deluge of rain does come, your clothes have another layer of protection. I don't know if it is the rainy season in the Yukon in August, but it can't hurt.

And just because mine always seem to die when I need it most: Extra batteries for your gps and headlamps.

As I am sure you already know, lighter the better. Ounces make a difference over the long haul.
Posted By: Mike Honcho

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 04/27/17 11:23 PM

Talk about an upcoming adventure! Best wishes

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 04/28/17 03:34 AM

For tt85: Sako Finnlight stainless .300 WSM with 4.5-14 x 40 Leupold VX3 - 7 1/4 lbs fully rigged and loaded. Shoots like a dream and fits me like a glove. Handled a lot of workhorse rifles before picking this one.

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 04/28/17 04:29 PM

I have the exact same in 30.06. Best off the shelf rifle I have ever owned. A pure joy to carry off as well. Nice.

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 04/28/17 07:42 PM

Originally Posted By: Theringworm
I have the exact same in 30.06. Best off the shelf rifle I have ever owned. A pure joy to carry off as well. Nice.

If Sako advertised like other companies do they couldn't make enough rifles to meet the demand.
Posted By: tlk

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 04/28/17 09:50 PM

I just returned from Ibex in Spain and I tell you these trips are not to be forgotten. I know you already know but ditto the advice on the horses - do plenty of riding beforehand - I have seen it ruin folks hunts.

Planning and waiting on a trip like this will make your summer fly by - will be fun to follow
Posted By: CitySlickerHunter

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 04/29/17 01:50 AM

WOW....a trip of a lifetime. clap
Posted By: rifleman

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 04/29/17 02:15 AM

Had that one BOBO. smile

In case weather rolls in before the return trip....

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 04/29/17 02:23 AM

Yoos a funny guy. smile

I expect you to mount an expedition and come get my little ***.......

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 05/27/17 09:04 PM

Nothing really to report just getting antsy and more excited. Shot rifle again all is well there.

On a somewhat related (maybe) note, I couldn't pass up this painting. It is remarkably similar to the "moment of truth" on my AZ desert sheep hunt in 2014. There were 3 rams in the group (two smaller rams with a bigger one) and we were above them on ridge. They were not running/aware of us and we didn't have on Stetsons (maybe those two facts are related smile ) but the landscape/scene was amazingly close to this painting.

Anyway, it will go just above my ram. Just thought I'd share.

Posted By: JLP83

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 05/29/17 08:35 PM

This thread makes me want to burn my deer lease. I need to start making trips like this happen.

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 05/29/17 09:05 PM

I love the whitetails too! So I wouldn't be that rash. smile

My BIL asked me last year if I could only have one, would it be: 1) the Grand Slam of sheep or 2) a 160" or bigger buck from our place in east Texas?

I honestly couldn't pick.
Posted By: Ruger1980

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 05/29/17 09:11 PM

Great thread!
Posted By: redchevy

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 05/30/17 07:28 PM

Pretty neat thread, good luck!

Although I have no want to sheep hunt it still looks pretty cool and I'd love to do a similar trip with other targeted critters.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 05/30/17 10:59 PM

Hey N.P. great meeting you Friday. This hunt sounds really great. I watch em on the TV shows, bout as close as I'll get
. Glad you are young and in shape !!

I'm sure you got it already packed but a good paper back book would be nice to have if weather puts you in your tent.

Satellite phone? You can call me and give me updates.

Looking forward to following this to a "full curl" ending !!!
up

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 05/31/17 12:06 AM

Thanks Buzz I KNEW that I was missing something on the list. A paperback was it! nidea

Guide will have a sat phone but they restrict it to emergencies only (a smart rule as some guys would stay on it for wife, work, whatever....).

Well, young is relative I guess, but I'm trying to get all this in as quick as I can.

Great to meet you too!
Posted By: Grizz

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 06/04/17 03:24 AM

Originally Posted By: Duck Buster
I got drawn for a Kodiak Mountain goat hunt this year in September. I applied for fun, not thinking I would get drawn. Of course, first time applicant and I get drawn.I already had a mountain goat hunt booked in a different zone on Kodiak for 2018....so now I will have a chance to shoot another goat.

But, now I am preparing for a mountain goat hunt, and spending $$ on gear like it nobodies business. Bought a Kifaru pack (not arrived yet), and backpacking gear. I've backpacked a bunch, but always borrowed gear from family and friends. Time to grow up and get my own.

This thread is helping me out as well for gear to bring/leave, as hunts are similar. I am going to do a solo do-it-yourself hunt, because I can't afford anything else. I have a couple buddies who have done it themselves in the same area, but in a group, and say it can be done. I just have to be in even better shape because I gotta haul EVERYTHING up and down myself. Good luck on your sheep hunt, and I will be following this thread as well!

My son was drawn for a Kodiak goat hunt too. I'll be there the last two weeks of September hunting for deer while my son looks for goats. The lucky turd also got drawn for a sheep hunt so he'll be doing that in August.

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 06/04/17 03:42 AM

For tt85: Sako Finnlight stainless .300 WSM with 4.5-14 x 40 Leupold VX3 - 7 1/4 lbs fully rigged and loaded. Shoots like a dream and fits me like a glove. Handled a lot of workhorse rifles before picking this one.

Very nice setup! Good luck on your trip.

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 06/04/17 11:48 AM

Originally Posted By: Grizz

Very nice setup! Good luck on your trip.
up

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 06/04/17 01:39 PM

Thanks guys I'm really happy with it.

For mountain hunting, finding a good rifle is like finding good boots. There are lots of good ones, but you've got to "try them on for size" to find the one that works for you. Thanks to the DSC show, anyone can handle a bunch of sheep/mountain rifles from just about every mass manufacturer, semi-custom, and custom maker out there. There are so many choices these days!

Same for packs, optics, and on and on and on......its half the fun of doing these hunts. smile

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 06/04/17 01:56 PM

Also got a 14 day coverage plan from this company - which covers getting you from the middle of nowhere to the nearest medical facility equipped to deal with injuries/medical calamities. They will also handle the logistics of any needed evac. They even called and got the details of my trip, outfitters contact info, etc. Pretty impressive.

Hope I won't need it, but the peace of mind was worth the cost ($149).

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 06/04/17 04:22 PM

Wise investment. up

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 06/22/17 12:16 AM

banana up popcorn oh boy it's almost here....

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 06/23/17 03:19 AM

Lol this is when the days start ddddrrrrrrraaaaaaggggggiiiiiiiinnnnngggggggg...... smile

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 06/23/17 04:51 PM

The Global Rescue package looks like a bargain if you use it or not. Hopefully not of course.
Posted By: Choctaw

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 06/23/17 05:29 PM

How did I miss this before? Wow NP, you're going to have a great time. I guess I'll go kill another hog in Haskell. Yea.

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 06/23/17 11:30 PM

Gaiters? Yes or no? Which are best for the ones who vote "yes"? Thanks for any input.

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 06/24/17 12:46 PM

NP - I have zero experience in the Yukon so my opinion is likely worthless. I assume you are talking about below the knee gaiters so that is what I am referring to. I have seen the waist high ones used sporadically to fiord river crossings but not sure you'll be doing that. 1) If the outfitter recommends them obviously then that's all I need to hear to cause me to bring mine. 2) Unless your entire trip will be above tree line with little to no vegaeatarion to speak of, I would definitely bring them. Morning moisture/dew walking through vegetation will be enough to make you feel as though you just got left out in a down pour. Pant legs will be soaked. I have both the Sitka gaiters and a pair of Outdoor Research gaiters (don't recall which model). I like them both and have used them both multiple times. I would likely pack my Sitka ones because they fit more snug around my boots/legs. But I am comfortable in walking miles in either w/o any issues. Just my .02 though. Good luck and be safe. Loooking forward to the return trip write up.

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 06/24/17 01:28 PM

Gaiters? Yes or no? Which are best for the ones who vote "yes"? Thanks for any input.

Yes
Kuiu
oR croc
Kenetrek
Sitka

they all are good and similar.

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 07/29/17 05:35 PM

Lol this is when the days start ddddrrrrrrraaaaaaggggggiiiiiiiinnnnngggggggg...... smile

elmer
Posted By: 1akhunter

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 07/30/17 02:18 AM

NP,
Best of luck on your adventure! Enjoyed reading this thread. Looking forward to pics when you return.

I used the same rifle/scope combo on an Alaska Dall hunt. Mine was in .270. It really liked Barnes ttsx ammo

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 07/30/17 02:26 AM

Thanks guys!

I plan to have everything packed and ready to go by the end of tomorrow. I have all day and won't be rushed. Most of the gear culling is done. Just a matter of the week dragging by now. Should be a busy week at work so that will help.

As luck would have it, my daughter is flying in from New York City Saturday night - so we are getting a room at the DFW Hyatt Saturday night. Just wake up and go Sunday morning.

I'll try and post a pic or two on the trip up. After that, it will be awhile. Hopefully I'll have a nice ram pic. At the very least, I'll have some of the beauty that is the Yukon.

Thanks again for the good wishes.

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 07/30/17 03:43 AM

Took me forever to find this thread this afternoon. I wish you the best of luck and please give us a detailed recap when you get back. Go make it happen Clay cheers

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 07/30/17 01:55 PM

Good luck!

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 07/30/17 02:09 PM

Good luck. up

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 07/30/17 02:12 PM

Good look NP!
Posted By: txshntr

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 07/30/17 02:45 PM

Good luck!!

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 07/30/17 05:42 PM

Thanks guys!
Gear packed. List and paperwork triple checked. All that's left is to put my sleeping bag in the stuff sack (I always wait till the last minute to do that) and go. Down to "nut cuttin" as my Grandaddy used to say. smile
Posted By: el_cazador713

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 07/30/17 05:47 PM

Good luck!! Keep us updated and post pics!!
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 07/30/17 06:25 PM

Originally Posted By: el_cazador713
Good luck!! Keep us updated and post pics!!
Posted By: Stompy

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 07/30/17 07:24 PM

Going to be an exciting hunt...Good Luck.
Posted By: Always ready 2 hunt

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 07/30/17 11:29 PM

Good Luck NP. Your packing looks good. Reminds me of a trip to Anticosti Island. Bush plane per person gear weight limit 40#. Friends wife just had to take a 12 pack of Dr. Pepper, lol, so some gear got left behind. The small shack where bush flight stationed was full of all kinds of hunting/camping gear from those that did not prepare properly.

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 07/31/17 12:13 AM

Originally Posted By: Always ready 2 hunt
Good Luck NP. Your packing looks good. Reminds me of a trip to Anticosti Island. Bush plane per person gear weight limit 40#. Friends wife just had to take a 12 pack of Dr. Pepper, lol, so some gear got left behind. The small shack where bush flight stationed was full of all kinds of hunting/camping gear from those that did not prepare properly.

Thanks Always, I'm trying. Nothing stinks like hauling stuff 3000 miles and having it stay behind. Been there, done that.

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 07/31/17 12:53 AM

Good luck NP!

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 07/31/17 05:49 AM

[/quote]

My son was drawn for a Kodiak goat hunt too. I'll be there the last two weeks of September hunting for deer while my son looks for goats. The lucky turd also got drawn for a sheep hunt so he'll be doing that in August.[/quote]

Not to steal the thread,...sorry N.P. I changed my plans. Ill be there the last week of September deer and goat hunting too. One of my buddies is coming up to join me and deer hunt. Safer that way. PM me, and we may be able to help each other if needed.

Yes on gaiters.

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 08/01/17 11:26 AM

Knock 'em dead, Nog....literally.
Posted By: ZMS

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 08/02/17 07:39 PM

You are living my dream. I can't wait to see the pictures and hear the stories.

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 08/06/17 08:12 PM

Sitting having a steak in the Vancouver AP. Rifle and gear made it fine but boy they sure check everything close these days. Better know the rules and have your paperwork in order. No issues with customs. One more leg....

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 08/06/17 09:13 PM

Enjoy!! Watching this thread closely. Almost there!

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 08/06/17 10:20 PM

Sitting having a steak in the Vancouver AP. Rifle and gear made it fine but boy they sure check everything close these days. Better know the rules and have your paperwork in order. No issues with customs. One more leg....

I won't have to mess with customs on my trip, but the thought of my rifle not making it definitely concerns me. Glad to hear your stuff made it intact. Good luck again on your hunt.

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 08/07/17 01:53 PM

Made it to Whitehorse. Gear and rifle made it too. Life is good.
Posted By: ErnestTBass

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 08/07/17 02:26 PM

Outstanding. I'd kill to be in Whitehorse right now. Good luck!

Great thread. I bet this inspires some others. I just need my youngsters to get a little older so it's easier for me to disappear for big chunks of time...

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 08/07/17 03:08 PM

Originally Posted By: ErnestTBass
Outstanding. I'd kill to be in Whitehorse right now. Good luck!

Great thread. I bet this inspires some others. I just need my youngsters to get a little older so it's easier for me to disappear for big chunks of time...

Yessir that's the rub. Broke down and went in 2006 when kids were younger. Longest I've ever been away from home. Missed them terribly. This time much easier with kids grown (one married) and out of the house. So thankful for a supportive and loving bride of 28 years. She's a teacher and first day for them to report today, so I imagine she won't have time to miss me too much. smile

Paradox of sheep hunting for most is by the time you can afford and/or take the time to go it's almost too late. This one is going to push this getting old(er) man.....

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 08/07/17 03:26 PM

My youngest is a boy. Maybe after the girls get old enough I can take him. How old does a young man need to be to hang on a trip like that?

There's some motivation to exercise and stay healthy. walking

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 08/07/17 09:01 PM

Good luck! Tell Tim and Jen hi for me. Hike hard and shoot straight, you'll get your sheep!
Posted By: BOONER

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 08/07/17 09:49 PM

Good luck from one hard head to another! Hope you have a blast!

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 08/08/17 05:19 AM

May get to go in a day early (tomorrow). Had a great day today. Rented a car and drove down the Klondike highway to Skagway, AK. So can check that off my bucket list. How often can you go "South to Alaska"? smile

Some pics:

You may be in the Yukon if:

Time to get serious thanks again for the well wishes guys. See you in 10 days or so.
Posted By: HWY_MAN

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 08/08/17 05:35 AM

May get to go in a day early (tomorrow). Had a great day today. Rented a car and drove down the Klondike highway to Skagway, AK. So can check that off my bucket list. How often can you go "South to Alaska"? smile

Some pics:

You may be in the Yukon if:

Time to get serious thanks again for the well wishes guys. See you in 10 days or so.

I hope you took a good camera with you.

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 08/08/17 05:40 AM

Sorry if photos not up to par but going to have to live with cell phone pics for a while. Don't have time or computer to transfer SD card photos for uploading.

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 08/08/17 05:48 AM

Sorry if photos not up to par but going to have to live with cell phone pics for a while. Don't have time or computer to transfer SD card photos for uploading.

Cell phone pics are fine. I will flip them if needed. That is awesome so you just need to put one down now.
Posted By: Kingsview Safaris

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 08/08/17 08:14 AM

I would jump on a hunt like this in a heartbeat. Absolute dream trip. Enjoying the photos and details.

Thanks up
Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 08/08/17 10:45 AM

Good luck, be careful and enjoy the Yukon Territory!!
Posted By: Bengoin

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 08/08/17 01:09 PM

Beautiful country. Have fun!!!

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 08/08/17 01:56 PM

Thanks for the pics NP. Have a great hunt!
Posted By: redchevy

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 08/08/17 01:59 PM

Good luck Nog!

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 08/08/17 04:02 PM

Good luck!

Can't wait to get updates and see more pics.

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 08/08/17 04:30 PM

Photos are outstanding!!! Thank you for sharing, now time to get er done! This is a dream hunt I plan to do in the future.

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 08/08/17 04:52 PM

Hope you get a good sheep
Posted By: tex70

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 08/08/17 04:54 PM

Good luck Sir!
Posted By: JKC

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 08/08/17 06:59 PM

Good luck!

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 08/09/17 03:31 PM

Posted By: Dustnsand

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 08/09/17 03:43 PM

Gotta say I'm jealous.

Good luck!

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 08/09/17 04:30 PM

Totally jealous

Good luck, and keep pics coming as you can

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 08/09/17 05:33 PM

Add me to the jelly list, lol. Awesome pics and I hope you score a BIG ram! Good luck and safe travels, sir!

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 08/10/17 04:47 AM

Originally Posted By: ErnestTBass
Totally jealous

Good luck, and keep pics coming as you can

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 08/20/17 01:08 AM

OK I'm out of the bush. Back in Whitehorse now. Best way I know to do this is just to type my journal with photos interspersed. So here goes:

8/9:

Beautiful, smooth flight into camp. Met Graham (guide) and Troy (wrangler) at base camp. They are the same ages as my daughters. eek2 Ewes and lambs watching us from mountains above camp - always a good sign. Last hunter got his ram on last day. Hoping this old man can get on one sooner. smile

Anyway, beautiful country just as I remembered it. Anticipation high in hopes for a great hunt!

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 08/20/17 01:18 AM

Crap....I have to work tomorrow and now I"ll be up all night waiting for more! popcorn But it beats watching TV and I can't wait to hear about it all. Glad you made it back safe, sound...... and hopefully with a trophy. Can't wait to see more.

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 08/20/17 01:24 AM

8/10

Great sleep, great breakfast, horses in with only one small rodeo - and we're off to find a ram. 2 hour ride to area near base camp where small band of rams had been seen. Graham gives me the news - only way to check to see if they're still there is a near vertical climb of 1500 feet. So up we go. Tough, often hand climbing ascent. Every step had to be carefully taken. Exhausting, nerve-wracking. But I took my breaks and concentrated on the next ledge - one at a time.

Near top Graham had more bad news - looked like we were cliffed out. But one last try found a route via a small ledge and a drop that I still have never looked at. Just sidestepped across and didn't think about it.

Took this pic about halfway up just to have evidence of what done me in. smile
(Sorry it's sideways.)

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 08/20/17 01:26 AM

I'm tired too ringworm so hopefully it won't take too long. Hang with me buddy. smile

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 08/20/17 01:28 AM

Keep in mind plan is to ride 10 hours into the backcountry to spike out on 8/11. This was just a scouting/check them out closer mission....

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 08/20/17 01:57 AM

Still 8/10:

Reached the top. Beautiful alpine plateau. Good news: we now had the "drop" if the rams were here. Best news: Troy spotted two rams - a wide flare ram and a small ram. Now, where is the tight curl ram that was also with the bunch? He was the one we really wanted a good look at....

Just then, we saw him just as he crossed over a ridge - still no good look.

When the other two followed, we backed out to hopefully get ahead of them.

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 08/20/17 02:13 AM

In short order, wide-flare and small ram were located bedded down again. Just a waiting game now.

Looking down just as I settled in for a nap. (Sideways again.)

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 08/20/17 02:37 AM

The nap was not a long one. Graham hit my boot and said "The small one's up-get rested and set up on the pack and let's see what we've got."

I was no more settled and a round chambered when wide-flare came into view going down and away. The thought flashed "Should I consider him?" But the answer (this early) was no.

Just then, another ram came into view working his way up between two rocks. It was all happening fast, but even I knew this was the one I had come for. Quartering-to at a steep downward angle. 100 yards. Graham said "Clay, shoot that ram. Now!" I could feel the muted excitement in his voice. The ram hopped up out of the rocks, I steadied, and fired - all faster than it takes to type it. The rifle's report and the sound of the hit echoed together. He shuddered at the hit, dove off between the rocks he had just come out of, and I just caught his hindquarters giving way as he rounded the corner out of view.

Troy said, "Perfect shot, he's hit hard and I could see blood gushing from the off-shoulder. He'll be down right there!"

And he was - laying wedged in a small crevice just out of sight.

"OMG!!", the boys said, "Where did HE come from??" As I watched 3 rams meandering and finally running away - small ram, wide-flare, and ANOTHER tight curl- it finally hit me this was a ram they had not seen. The lead ram. And my dream ram. Big, 12 years old, and beautiful.

Epilogue tomorrow guys...
Posted By: Jgraider

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 08/20/17 02:42 AM

Wow, just wow! Awesome pics and nice shooting NP. Congrats big time!

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 08/20/17 02:45 AM

The nap was not a long one. Graham hit my boot and said "The small one's up-get rested and set up on the pack and let's see what we've got."

I was no more settled and a round chambered when wide-flare came into view going down and away. The thought flashed "Should I consider him?" But the answer (this early) was no.

Just then, another ram came into view working his way up between two rocks. It was all happening fast, but even I knew this was the one I had come for. Quartering-to at a steep downward angle. 100 yards. Graham said "Clay, shoot that ram. Now!" I could feel the muted excitement in his voice. The ram hopped up out of the rocks, I steadied, and fired - all faster than it takes to type it. The rifle's report and the sound of the hit echoed together. He shuddered at the hit, dove off between the rocks he had just come out of, and I just caught his hindquarters giving way as he rounded the corner out of view.

Troy said, "Perfect shot, he's hit hard and I could see blood gushing from the off-shoulder. He'll be down right there!"

And he was - laying wedged in a small crevice just out of sight.

"OMG!!", the boys said, "Where did HE come from??" As I watched 3 rams meandering and finally running away - small ram, wide-flare, and ANOTHER tight curl- it finally hit me this was a ram they had not seen. The lead ram. And my dream ram. Big, 12 years old, and beautiful.

Epilogue tomorrow guys...

HOLY Sheeep!! eek2 eek2 Stud Sheep NP. I don't know how you were able to keep steady with all that happening so quickly. Congrats on an amazing trophy!

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 08/20/17 02:50 AM

Honestly ringworm, the climb paid double dividends - got us the drop on the rams and took all my adrenaline away. I was tired, but relaxed because the hard work was behind me at that point. Had my nap been 2 hours? Who knows?

Thankfully, it wasn't....
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 08/20/17 02:50 AM

Originally Posted By: Jgraider
Wow, just wow! Awesome pics and nice shooting NP. Congrats big time!

up excellent
Posted By: Elkhunter49

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 08/20/17 02:52 AM

Holy smokes what a Great Great ram and trophy. I've been reading along and wanted to hold my comments for the end but I can't wait. Well done sir, well done! cheers
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 08/20/17 02:53 AM

Congrats on a nice one!

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 08/20/17 02:55 AM

Two more steps and he would have been 700 - 1000 feet down. The Good Lord takes care of little children and fools I suppose...
Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 08/20/17 03:13 AM

Congrats!!! Thanks for all you have posted!!

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 08/20/17 03:29 AM

Heck of a ram. Congrats NP!

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 08/20/17 03:35 AM

One last ram photo after we moved him - sorry about the blood we cleaned him up twice to no avail.

Posted By: Erny

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 08/20/17 04:08 AM

Congrats on a fantastic sheep!!!!!!!!!!

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 08/20/17 05:24 AM

Glad a bear didn't eat you.

Beautiful ram. What a curl!

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 08/20/17 05:27 AM

Congratulations beautiful Ram! Great memories, enjoy.

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 08/20/17 05:47 AM

Thanks guys, you all have been a big part of it. I've really been looking forward to getting back here to Whitehorse - mainly to share the hunt with all of you.

Will post the epilogue, more photos of the beautiful Yukon, and hopefully some short videos to give a little taste of a backcountry pack in hunt. We did eventually make that spike camp pack in - just with no pressure to find a ram. smile

Finally, as I am a gear/preparation nut I'll share some thoughts on that.

Finally, finally - more camera photos of the Yukon and its wildlife when I get back and get them downloaded.

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 08/20/17 10:30 AM

Epilogue:

Celebrations, a long pause to laugh, talk, reflect on the hunt, a careful photo session, and the guys caping/dressing the ram took 3 hours. One of the best 3 hours I will ever spend.

Then a quad-burning and scary (for me - not those mountain goat boys) descent down the mountain. The guys laughed, talked, and rested (waiting on me) with their 80-90 lb. packs all the way down. Simply amazing.

Lead the horses off the mountain and finally into camp at 11:30 PM - never so tired in my life. Every step was literally a chore. But we weren't done. It's sheep ribs over the fire to celebrate and finally to bed at 1 AM. Almost too spent to walk from the campfire to my cabin - but sleep was instant and the dreams were sweet.

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 08/20/17 10:38 AM

8/11 and 8/12:

Camp days to rest and for the guys to flesh/clean the cape. I barely moved the first day, began to feel the recovery the next, and was mostly fine by-

8/13:

We took a short ride out to check the carcass for bear or wolf - that's my hunt now. No action and back at camp by 6 PM. We celebrated Graham's 21st birthday on the mountain. He's been wrangling and now guiding for the outfit since he was 16. All I can say is that his competence is as good as it comes. Simply put, 21 in the Yukon is not the 21 we think of down here.

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 08/20/17 10:44 AM

8/14:

The guys loaded for the long ride back to spike camp. Just as they finished a storm set in with cold, sleet and rain. If sheep was still the goal we would have simply put on our raingear and headed out. It wasn't - and we didn't. I made the call and the guys let me since the main goal was done. So they dropped the panniers and we settled in to read, talk, and have supper in the woodstove heated cabin.

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 08/20/17 10:56 AM

Headed out for spike camp by 9 AM.

What a beautiful ride! Weather perfect. Seemed an even more beautiful vista than the last awaited around every bend as we gained elevation. Saw the first mountain goat seen in this range in years (a nice billy), wood bison, and mountain caribou. And, of course - more sheep, including some nice rams. (Those pics will have to wait.)

Made camp, supper, and to bed.

Some pics:

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 08/20/17 11:02 AM

8/16-8/18:

Rode, glassed, sat hoping to see a grizzly or wolves. It didn't happen, but that's OK. What a camping trip! Awoke to ice the first morning, had gale force winds all night the second night, and finally perfect weather for the ride back on 8/18.

You don't forget this beauty:

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 08/20/17 11:05 AM

Wow what a great trip, adventure and hunt, thanks for sharing. Congratulations on a great Ram, what a beautiful trophy cheers
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 08/20/17 12:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Sneaky
Glad a bear didn't eat you.

Beautiful ram. What a curl!

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 08/20/17 12:50 PM

Congrats, that's an absolute stud of a ram! Great pics of some beautiful country too. It sounds like the trip was everything you were hoping for.

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 08/20/17 01:19 PM

Just amazing

Thanks so much for writing it up for us

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 08/20/17 04:17 PM

Congratulations on an awesome ram! Thanks for taking us along for the ride and letting us enjoy it with you.
Posted By: tex70

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 08/20/17 05:07 PM

Congrats Sir on a great animal & what sounds(and looks) like an incredible trip cheers
Posted By: Black Duck Dog

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 08/20/17 05:34 PM

Fantastic a trip of a Lifetime
Posted By: jeffbird

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 08/20/17 06:29 PM

Great write-up, great photos, and beautiful sheep.

Thanks for sharing and congratulations NP!! cheers
Posted By: JCB

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 08/20/17 11:38 PM

Enjoyed the whole thread start to finish. Congrats!
Posted By: dlrz71

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 08/21/17 12:18 AM

Congrats on a fine ram. up

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 08/21/17 01:24 AM

WOW!!!

What a nice ram! Congratulations Clay! Thanks for the pictures. Man does that make the memories come flooding back! I remember being on that dock,flying in that very same plane, loading up the horses, all of it. I knew you'd get your ram, and am super happy for you!

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 08/21/17 01:34 AM

How were those ribs?

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 08/21/17 02:32 AM

Lol that's a great question. They were good for sure, but the boys were super stoked about them and enjoying being there toasting the hunt so much it was more fun watching them. It's their little celebration tradition. Tell you the truth, I was just wanting to get to bed. smile

I enjoyed the backstrap and loins we had later much more.

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 08/21/17 03:38 AM

Congrats, great ram. up
Posted By: DeerTamales

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 08/21/17 03:43 AM

Wow congrats sir!!

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 08/21/17 04:03 AM

Originally Posted By: MikeC
Congratulations on an awesome ram! Thanks for taking us along for the ride and letting us enjoy it with you.

Great Ram Clay. I appreciate the journey cheers

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 08/21/17 04:11 AM

Happy Birthday sir!

Thanks AJ, I knew this would all have special meaning for you.

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 08/21/17 04:35 AM

Thanks Bud. Do you know what kind of float planes those were?

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 08/21/17 04:43 AM

They had all kinds available. Starting small to large: Piper Cub, Cessna 172, Cessna 210, DeHavilland Beaver, and DeHavilland Otter.

Both my flights were on the Cessna 210. Tim (outfitter) came and checked on us, picked up the ram cape/horns, and brought stuff in his Piper Cub float plane. Graham says he has at least 2 more planes (another Cub with wheel landing gear and a Cessna 172 float plane). He may have more. They are the cars of the backcountry up north.

Back in 2006 I flew in an Otter - more hunters and longer distance travelled.

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 08/21/17 04:48 AM

They had all kinds available. Starting small to large: Piper Cub, Cessna 172, Cessna 210, DeHavilland Beaver, and DeHavilland Otter.

Both my flights were on the Cessna 210. Tim (outfitter) came and checked on us, picked up the ram cape/horns, and brought stuff in his Piper Cub float plane. Graham says he has at least 2 more planes (another Cub with wheel landing gear and a Cessna 172 float plane). He may have more. They are the cars of the backcountry up north.

Pops loves those birds. I sent him your pics and he was curious.

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 08/21/17 04:50 AM

I have a photo of Tim's but it's on my camera. Will post when I get home for him.

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 08/21/17 05:03 AM

I would appreciate that. What an epic adventure. That Sako was on point.

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 08/21/17 01:12 PM

I know a person isn't supposed to be envious, but these pics and stories make it hard not to. Awesome pics, stories and ram! Congrats to you, sir! And thank you for sharing it with us! I can't wait to see the rest of the pics.
Posted By: Bengoin

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 08/21/17 01:42 PM

Awesome ram and great story and pics. Thanks for sharing!!! I have a drop hunt in Ak in 18 so I'm looking forward to your gear review as well.
Posted By: ZMS

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 08/21/17 01:48 PM

That is absolutely fantastic. It has been fun following this thread. Thank you for taking us along with you on your adventure. Congratulations on that great ram and seeing that place I can only dream of laying my eyes on.

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 08/21/17 02:39 PM

Thank you so much for allowing us to follow your journey. What an adventure. Very good chronicle, write up, and photos. I look forward to your post gear tips. Congrats on an awesome ram!
Posted By: 82Ag

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 08/21/17 03:34 PM

NP, thank you for sharing from you initial post until now. We've all enjoyed the ride, and, from the pics, I think you might have just received a small taste of heaven. Absolutely stunning!!!

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 08/21/17 04:25 PM

Thank you so much guys for the kind words. I am so glad you enjoyed it.

Gear thoughts in next day or two - travelling today. In Vancouver as I type this. But through U.S. Customs so glad that's done.
Posted By: ducknbass

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 08/21/17 04:39 PM

Cool trip NP and beautiful ram. Glad you got your trophy
Posted By: west-tex

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 08/21/17 06:10 PM

up flehan
Posted By: ZK-315

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 08/21/17 09:38 PM

Trip of a lifetime. Great pictures and nice ram! up
Posted By: JRJ6

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 08/22/17 12:31 AM

Congrats!

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 08/22/17 03:33 AM

Back home and glad of it! smile
Posted By: HuntingTexas

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 08/22/17 03:41 AM

Welcome home. What an awesome trip you had, congratulations.

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 08/22/17 11:52 PM

Some gear thoughts.

Please bear in mind these are just my ramblings - they are not meant to be "be-all-end-all" and set in stone. YMMV. That said, I hope they are helpful. Also, some may seem elementary to those who take a lot of mountain hunts, but I want to be thorough for anyone who may think of going on a backpack/pack-in hunt out west or up north.

Also, all these tips may or may not apply to those hunting from a cabin or base camp that they can drive to and thus, not have limits on weight/volume of gear.

Finally, these thoughts are mostly for early-season hunts before snow/extreme cold is a likely or long-term issue. And they may not apply to extremely wet climates like coastal Alaska.

OK, here goes:

1)DON'T OVERPACK. Think in "twos" (light and heavier) for most clothing items (pants, base layers, jackets, maybe even socks - I took 3 pair). Worn clothing items will get refreshed quickly by wind/sun hung on trees. Think "ones" for most gear items. Many items can serve multiple purposes - like garbage bags, down jacket in stuff sack for a pillow, trekking poles, etc. Most of the guys brought way too much gear.
2)Keep items you will need access to all the time (gloves, beanie, neck buff, lip balm) close at hand. This sounds elementary but when I say close - I mean within no-effort reaching distance while climbing, on a horse, etc. You can't always drop your pack. I used roomy "pods" on my pack's hipbelt for that purpose - and it worked great.
3)My pack rifle scabbard saved me. Some of you may be tired of my affinity for it, but I could not have made the climb for the ram without it keeping both hands absolutely free and my rifle out of the way.
4)Take Advil every day twice a day. Just do it.
5)I love a water bladder/hose system for hydration. It beats a bottle for lots of reasons (volume and on-the-go accessibility being the main ones).
6)Via instant coffee and powder packet drink mixes are great.
7)"Buff" brand neck gaiter is a great product. Weighs nothing, simple tubular design is easy to use, and adds so much warmth when needed.
8)Quarter-zip base layers are great too. Instant venting when needed.
9)Thin liner socks are blister preventers deluxe. I have never had so much as a hot spot since I began using them.
10)Bath/unscented baby wipes. Don't forget them. Worth their weight in gold.
11)Get a great lightweight down jacket - they add so much warmth and pack down to nothing. My Kuiu Superdown worked great.
12)Get great raingear - the best you can swing. It will not just protect you from rain, but added over your base/down layers will keep you warm in conditions you wouldn't believe possible.
13)If using horses - MAKE SURE YOUR STIRRUPS/RIFLE SCABBARD ARE ADJUSTED PROPERLY FOR YOU. Stop and re-adjust if needed. Don't be shy. Just do it! Poorly adjusted ones will make for a miserable ride.
14)Get the 4457 form.
15)Get a good, roomy waterproof duffel bag. My Cabela's worked great but Patgonia, Outdoor Research, North Face, and many others make good ones. Make sure it is a true "dry sack" with multiple cinching straps/buckles.
15)Organize and label your gear so you can find it easily. Put it back when done. It only takes a minute. This is so important. Don't "overlabel" though - think "electronics", "base layers", "medical/personal", etc..... I used different-colored waterproof stuff sacks for this purpose and added security from the wet.

Items I didn't use:

1)Gaiters - simply didn't need them on this early season hunt in this area. No snow, no scree.
2)Water purifying stuff - simply drank too much water to even dream of pumping/treating it all. I was filling up my bladder/bottle at every turn. YMMV and you may not compromise on this. That's fine. On this hunt, it will be a major time eater. I honestly think those who insist on it run the risk of not staying hydrated.

On a related note - stay hydrated at all times. Drink/sip water all the time. All. The. Time. It will pay huge dividends.

Most of all, be easy-going. Trip snafus are going to happen. Customs/TSA/airline people are going to be dilberts at times. Be patient. Smile. Delays are going to happen. Relax. You are going to fall off a horse, have a limb cut your face, get cold, tired, etc. Stay positive. It's all part of the adventure.

That's all I have right now.

Thanks again for coming along.

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 08/23/17 12:25 AM

Very nice Ram. Congrats on a great trip.
Posted By: 1akhunter

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 08/23/17 01:56 AM

NP, great ram! Thanks for taking us along! Really enjoyed the reading along looking at the pics. Brought back some great memories. Congrats on a great hunt/adventure and memories for a lifetime.

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 08/23/17 02:35 AM

Elementary question but what was the weather like on this hunt?

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 08/23/17 02:45 AM

Originally Posted By: 2Beez
Elementary question but what was the weather like on this hunt?

It was -as hoped for on an early August hunt up north- mostly fine. Lows in the 30s/40s and highs in the 60s/70s. 8 of 11 days were actually perfect. 1 day of cold/rain. 1 day with a low of about 20 and ice until sun came up at mid morning, and 1 day/night of howling 30-40 mph winds. That's not bad. Last Yukon hunt the weather changes came much more often, sometimes every hour or two.

So, overall great. But I was lucky...

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 08/23/17 04:36 AM

Thanks Clay. That is damn near what we see in Colorado where we go this time of year. I have been there and got the T shirt but surprised it is so close honestly. The frozen precipt would have been new to me though.

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 08/23/17 01:09 PM

Originally Posted By: 2Beez
Thanks Clay. That is damn near what we see in Colorado where we go this time of year. I have been there and got the T shirt but surprised it is so close honestly. The frozen precipt would have been new to me though.

The main difference between way up north and out west is that the weather changes often happen much more quickly, especially starting right about now. Example: 30 minutes before the plane landed to pick me up/drop the new hunter off it started snowing. By the time I was in the air the mountains were turning white. My guess is things are a lot different for his hunt than mine on the weather front.

One more thought:
On a horseback hunt, if you're not used to riding - take a break every 2 hours or so. Get off, walk around, stretch your legs. You will be amazed what a difference it makes. Same thing for climbing: don't feel like you have to just gut it out, keep quiet, and try to keep up with the guides. It will only make you wear yourself out because those guys are mountain goats. When you need a breather, take one. They will understand. It's not a "manliness contest" - if it were most of us will lose anyway. smile The point is to get there, and get there not so worn out you can't focus on the task at hand. I heard several stories of guys who just stopped mid-climb to some vantage point up high because they felt they were done. My bet is that most of them had just worn themselves out by not pacing their ascent, and that they would have made it with some more rest breaks/better hydration. You will also be stronger on the 4th day than on the 1st as you acclimate to the altitude.

It all works together. And the mind is the most important part. A strong will overcomes many obstacles. Think tortoise and hare - especially if you aren't in your 20s/30s anymore.
Posted By: Eyesofahunter

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 08/23/17 04:10 PM

NP Great Sheep and classic hunt in every way. Jack is smiling down on you, he would have approved of your hunt only thing missing was the Biesen.

Well done!!

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 08/23/17 04:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Eyesofahunter
NP Great Sheep and classic hunt in every way. Jack is smiling down on you, he would have approved of your hunt only thing missing was the Biesen.

Well done!!

Thank you sir those words mean a lot to me. The Biesen will be with me on a WY Rocky hunt one day, Lord willing....

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 08/24/17 05:34 PM

OK, more pics now:

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 08/24/17 05:36 PM

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 08/24/17 05:39 PM

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 08/24/17 05:42 PM

Mountain I took my ram on:

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 08/24/17 05:44 PM

The Super Cub for your Dad 2Beez:

Posted By: DoubleB20

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 08/24/17 06:43 PM

What a great adventure. Awesome ram, congrats and thanks for sharing.

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 08/24/17 08:45 PM

Wow NP you took some great pictures and nice write up on your trip. Made me feel like we were there...I could smell and feel it almost! And congratulation on a great Ram and trip. Do the Musk Ox ever range this far South? Got a friend that worked BP at Prudhome Bay. Always sending me pictures of Polar Bears in their garbage dump, and Musk Ox along pipe lines.

Thanks much for sharing. cheers

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 08/24/17 08:55 PM

Thanks jeh! Those are actually wood bison, a northern subspecies of our American bison (buffalo).
A remnant herd was propagated by the Yukon territory and they have now grown to huntable numbers (250 annual quota).
The hunts are conducted in winter when the coats are full and shaggy. Tim's concession has the exclusive non-resident hunting rights on them.

Here's a good bull:

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 08/24/17 09:50 PM

Great shots NP that is just beautiful. Appreciate the pic of the Cub too cheers

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 08/25/17 01:27 AM

Great picture of the wood bison. Thanks NP

I looked up the range of musk ox and they are artic circle beast only. They say their long fine hair is hollow for better insulation in cold extreme weather.

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 08/29/17 11:42 PM

Awesome Ram NP!

Congrats, and looked like a blast of a time.

I am finishing packing for my goat hunt in 3 weeks, and will be taking some of your advice on packing. Thanks for the updates and thread!

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 08/30/17 01:32 AM

Good luck!

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 08/30/17 04:38 AM

Loved the additional pics NP!
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 08/31/17 04:06 AM

Congrats and incredible trip. Great write up and keeping us updated.

Your weather sounded perfect. My buddy ended up with frostbite last year on his toes when he woke up the next day after killing his Stone in snow. Luckily recovered.

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 08/31/17 01:16 PM

Ouch! Glad he is OK.

Weather is always the wild card on any pack in/backpack hunt in the high country. That's why I book the early sheep hunts, because it at least takes snow out of the equation.

I must say I was amazed at how smoothly this trip went. No major issues with flights, gear arrival, customs, TSA, weather, horse rodeos, injuries, delays, anything really. That is the exception rather than the rule.
Posted By: therancher

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 08/31/17 03:20 PM

Congrats on a great hunt! Looks like a blast. Wish I'd have read the part about not trying to keep up with the guide a few years back before my bear hunt. That mountain goat 36 year old chain smoking 135# punk almost killed me.

One thing I read in your list I would clarify. When you say baby wipes, there are some of those that aren't antiseptic. "Wet Wipes" and some others are. There is a huge diifference. I don't need any anti chafing supplies if I use antiseptic wipes. The bacteria are the culprit.

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 08/31/17 03:38 PM

Yes,"wet wipes" is a better term and antiseptic is key. I also used a product called "No Rinse Bathing Wipes" (along with wet wipes) made by a company called ChemClean Products. They were heavier, more durable, and each one went a lot further. They are antiseptic also.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 08/31/17 04:12 PM

Congrats on a great hunt. Great tight curl ram with age to get that mass and length. Thanks for sharing the experience with us

I know it is a hunt and the main goal but bet there was some good fishing close by on those lakes. I would have wanted to fish a little. Always took a little fishing gear on the hunts to Montana but then again I wasn't limited to packing light for the air travel since I drove there.

Some very good information on packing and gear selection as well.

Staying hydrated not only helps in the mountains and back country but in everyday life around here.

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 08/31/17 04:46 PM

Fishing is usually an opportunity on a hunt like this. We had one rod and reel at the camp and the guys took me out on the lake twice - didn't catch anything. There was a boat at the lake. (Lol good thing it wasn't a fishing trip.)

One of my only suggestions was for each camp to have at least a couple of cheap Zebco rod/reel combos and a selection of lures (Panther Martin, RoosterTails, etc.) to use for fishing. It seemed like fishing was just an afterthought but it can be a nice diversion during slow days at camp.
Posted By: cdthompson9

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 08/31/17 06:20 PM

so jelly.
Posted By: lsbrim

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 08/31/17 06:58 PM

Amazing hunt and thanks for sharing the adventure with us!

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 06/03/18 01:35 AM

Just learned a cool fact while reading a sheep hunting book on a hot day. Turns out Jack O’Connor hunted not only the same area, but out of the same camp I hunted out of. An excellent chance he may have taken a ram on the same mountain - certainly from the same mountains and basins I was fortunate to spend 10 days in.

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 06/03/18 01:38 AM

Also, here’s a much better photo that one of the boys took and sent me. Just waiting on the taxidermist now.

Posted By: aggie-01

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 06/11/18 09:34 PM

NP what book was it that you were reading? Great ram!!
Posted By: don k

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 06/11/18 09:56 PM

That is something. Will give you memories for years to come.
Posted By: dkershen

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 06/12/18 06:11 AM

S T U D up
Posted By: EddieWalker

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 06/12/18 12:56 PM

Just saw some more posts on this thread and I was hoping to see pics of it coming home from the Taxidermist.

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 06/13/18 03:33 AM

heck of a ram. Congrats!
Posted By: Ruger1980

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 06/13/18 04:59 AM

Awesome thread and can’t wait to see the finished mount.
Posted By: Redneck78

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 06/14/18 01:36 PM

up
Posted By: ckat

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 06/14/18 05:39 PM

NP, I enjoyed going back through this thread. Thanks for taking us along. Curious as to what your gear was? Rifle, scope, ammo, binoculars, etc. You did drill him!

Sorry for the weird question - I'm a gear nerd...

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 06/15/18 06:42 PM

Was reading “Great Rams II” by Robert Anderson.

Gear:
Rifle: Sako Finnlight .300 WSM (had a grizzly tag)
Scope: Leupold VX3 4.5x14 40mm
Ammo: Barnes TSX 180 grain
Spotting scope: Swarovski STS 20-60x 65mm w/Outdoorsman’s medium tripod
Binoculars: Swarovski EL 10x42s

Hopefully taxidermy pics coming soon. smile

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 06/15/18 11:44 PM

Wow - quality gear. Thanks for sharing. One of these days I hope to chase a dall... up

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 07/28/18 01:59 AM

Ram came back from the taxidermist. Not on the wall yet but here’s a sneak peek:

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 07/28/18 03:17 AM

Man oh man, does he look good!!! I've been waiting for this post! If I lived closer, I'd come over and help you hang him up!!!

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 07/28/18 02:00 PM

Thanks AJ! A couple of friends are coming over next week to help me with that job. He’s going in my new work office above the fireplace. Thankfully the walls are all solid shiplap board so we can just install heavy wood screws where they need to be and put him up. The mount is not nearly as heavy as I expected so everything should go smoothly.

Dewey did his usual fine job on the mount - right down to the little habitat details only I would notice (same grass, little flowers, lichen color, rock color, etc.) He asked for several field photos for reference. Body size was right too - he was half again bigger-bodied than my other two rams. The only tiny thing I would change is maybe the neck size is a touch small because he had a linebacker’s thick neck (see field photos). The neck on the mount was large, but could have been even a little bigger. That’s a nitpick though.

Photos really don’t do him justice. He will provide memories of a great experience up north every time I look at him. If you’re ever up this way be sure and come by for lunch or dinner! up

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 07/29/18 05:43 AM

Great looking trophy!!! Congrats!

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 08/02/18 11:43 PM

Up in my new office. Thanks to all of you for being a part of this adventure.

Posted By: Toepuncher

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 08/03/18 12:13 AM

Looks great!

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 08/03/18 01:26 AM

Beautiful

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 08/03/18 03:17 AM

eek2 eek2 eek2
He's looks incredible Clay!
Congratulations on such a beautiful trophy! You can expect a visit next time I'm in east Texas!

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 08/03/18 05:09 AM

Very nice cheers
Posted By: Eyesofahunter

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 08/04/18 04:46 AM

A beautiful conclusion to your adventure. Thanks for sharing, first class all the way. Jack approves grin

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 08/04/18 05:56 PM

very nice mount, look great

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 08/04/18 11:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Texasphez
eek2 eek2 eek2
He's looks incredible Clay!
Congratulations on such a beautiful trophy! You can expect a visit next time I'm in east Texas!

Looking forward to it! up
Posted By: activescrape

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 08/06/18 01:10 PM

Museum quality
Posted By: Normdog52

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 01/31/20 05:28 PM

Hi Clay - Just booked a hunt with Tim and Jen and was wondering if I could pick you brain more. Would you mind PM your email address? if so, thanks.
Posted By: snake oil

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 01/31/20 06:34 PM

Beautiful mount. Great job NP. clap
Posted By: fadetoblack64

Re: 2017 Yukon Sheep Hunt - 01/31/20 10:28 PM

NP must be dead
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum