Texas Hunting Forum

Family heirloom...........

Posted By: texretvet

Family heirloom........... - 10/28/15 07:03 PM

My grandfather on my mothers side passed away at 94 years old in September.

When he was around 10 years old (1930 or so) his family moved into a house in Oklahoma. This gun was propped up behind one of the doors. His dad (my great grandfather) used it, he used it, and then it was passed down to his youngest son who died at 15. When I was born 5 years later, my mom named me after him, and therefore, this was passed down to me.

This is a Winchester Model 1873 in 38-40. It was produced in 1882 making it 133 years old. It is well used but still fully functional. I took it apart and cleaned the grease and grime out of the insides but other than that I plan to leave it exactly as is. It had a previous repair to the mainspring that is functional, but will need to be replaced.At one point one of my uncles dropped it while hunting and broke the stock. You can see the repair job in the pics. I have the original top half of the stock that broke off and the butt-plate. I'm not sure what I will do about that yet. I may try to find a replacement, but really think I will just leave it.

Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Family heirloom........... - 10/28/15 07:07 PM

That is a thing of beauty. Really neat that it's been passed down from your great Grandfather.
Posted By: East

Re: Family heirloom........... - 10/28/15 07:07 PM

make a spare stock for it

butcher block style up
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Family heirloom........... - 10/28/15 07:08 PM

up That is really neat-congrats on owning an awesome piece of history!
Posted By: MoBettaHuntR

Re: Family heirloom........... - 10/28/15 07:09 PM

Cool piece and story. The door jam.

Re: Family heirloom........... - 10/28/15 07:15 PM

Originally Posted By: East
make a spare stock for it

butcher block style up

Ha! I have considered carving a mesquite one for it. LOL
Posted By: ETexas Hunter

Re: Family heirloom........... - 10/28/15 07:36 PM

Very cool
Posted By: Western

Re: Family heirloom........... - 10/28/15 07:41 PM

Originally Posted By: Erathkid
That is a thing of beauty. Really neat that it's been passed down from your great Grandfather.

X's 2 I wouldn't do a thing to it personally, except hang it up after I purchased a butt load of insurance.
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Family heirloom........... - 10/28/15 07:47 PM

Wow, I love it!!! Thanks for posting!!!
Posted By: lsbrim

Re: Family heirloom........... - 10/28/15 07:50 PM

Awesome!
Posted By: GLC

Re: Family heirloom........... - 10/28/15 08:24 PM

Very nice!
Posted By: MontagueMonsters

Re: Family heirloom........... - 10/28/15 08:25 PM

Awesome story, thanks for posting
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Family heirloom........... - 10/28/15 08:35 PM

Posted By: BOLT GUY

Re: Family heirloom........... - 10/28/15 08:52 PM

That's awesome!
Posted By: CitySlickerHunter

Re: Family heirloom........... - 10/28/15 09:25 PM

VERY COOL!!!!!! flag
Posted By: d.g.ruff

Re: Family heirloom........... - 10/28/15 10:03 PM

Originally Posted By: GLC
Very nice!
Posted By: dkershen

Re: Family heirloom........... - 10/28/15 10:25 PM

Very nice heirloom! I'd keep it just as it is and be sure to pass the stories it holds down to the next generation and the next caretaker of this fine piece of history.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Family heirloom........... - 10/28/15 11:16 PM

Posted By: texasdude28

Re: Family heirloom........... - 10/28/15 11:48 PM

Sweeeet! coolpics
Posted By: Mr. Clean

Re: Family heirloom........... - 10/29/15 12:01 AM

BAD AZZERY at its best, DO NOT Change a thing, man if that gun could talk!!!
Posted By: Michael W.

Re: Family heirloom........... - 10/29/15 12:09 AM

Its awsome to inherit something like that. Take good care of it and you will love handing it down to someone in the family one day.
Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: Family heirloom........... - 10/29/15 12:12 AM

That's Awesome Sir!!!
Posted By: GUTIT

Re: Family heirloom........... - 10/29/15 12:20 AM

I wouldn't do a thing to it but what you have done . Once you change it , it will never be the same.

Great story and rifle!
Posted By: johninok

Re: Family heirloom........... - 10/29/15 12:39 AM

love it. ive got a model '92 made in 1896 with a colorful history too, they are great guns.

Re: Family heirloom........... - 10/29/15 01:05 AM

Thanks all, I'm not gonna do a thing to it. cheers
Posted By: SouthWestIron

Re: Family heirloom........... - 10/29/15 01:18 AM

I really appreciate heirlooms. That is absolutely awesome. Priceless!
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Family heirloom........... - 10/29/15 01:24 AM

Originally Posted By: Mr. Clean

I'd have to hunt with it....at least a couple kills with photos for each generation as you pass it on....a rifle with that family history needs to be celebrated and used....jes my 2cents

Sweet rifle with a great history....
Posted By: erniejs

Re: Family heirloom........... - 10/29/15 01:38 AM

That is really neat
Posted By: varmintslayer

Re: Family heirloom........... - 10/29/15 03:23 AM

Wow!! That's awesome... The stories it could tell... I'd leave it all original but that's just me! Great rifle and story Sir!!
Posted By: txshntr

Re: Family heirloom........... - 10/29/15 03:38 AM

Originally Posted By: SnakeWrangler

I'd have to hunt with it....at least a couple kills with photos for each generation as you pass it on....a rifle with that family history needs to be celebrated and used....jes my 2cents

This!!!

Very nice rifle, thanks for sharing cheers
Posted By: Stub

Re: Family heirloom........... - 10/29/15 10:25 AM

up
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Family heirloom........... - 10/29/15 11:03 AM

Very cool. You can feel the history when you hold a 73.
Posted By: poisonivie

Re: Family heirloom........... - 10/29/15 11:59 AM

Hunt with it. That gun needs to hunt.
Posted By: Dry Fire

Re: Family heirloom........... - 10/29/15 12:28 PM

Write down every story about that gun you can remember. Then pass the written history along with it. Have it so others can add their own stories and pictures as well.
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Family heirloom........... - 10/29/15 12:35 PM

Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Family heirloom........... - 10/29/15 12:48 PM

Very cool piece of family history. Thanks for sharing it with us. cheers
Posted By: Choctaw

Re: Family heirloom........... - 10/29/15 12:54 PM

What a classic piece of family history. Very cool.
Posted By: janie

Re: Family heirloom........... - 10/29/15 01:05 PM

That is friggin awesome. What a beautiful rifle.
Posted By: Hunt Dog

Re: Family heirloom........... - 10/29/15 01:34 PM

Very neat. You need to start finding, buying and holding all the ammo for it that you can so future generations can shoot it.

I have a Winchester Model 1890 that is 108 years old and is still a fun shooter.
Posted By: Triplesnake

Re: Family heirloom........... - 10/29/15 07:37 PM

That is so cool that you have that! Great piece of family history. up
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Family heirloom........... - 10/29/15 08:14 PM

Originally Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Family heirloom........... - 10/29/15 08:29 PM

Originally Posted By: texretvet

When he was around 10 years old (1930 or so) his family moved into a house in Oklahoma. This gun was propped up behind one of the doors. His dad (my great grandfather) used it, he used it, and then it was passed down to his youngest son who died at 15. When I was born 5 years later, my mom named me after him, and therefore, this was passed down to me.

This is a Winchester Model 1873 in 38-40. It was produced in 1882 making it 133 years old. It is well used but still fully functional. I took it apart and cleaned the grease and grime out of the insides but other than that I plan to leave it exactly as is. It had a previous repair to the mainspring that is functional, but will need to be replaced.At one point one of my uncles dropped it while hunting and broke the stock. You can see the repair job in the pics. I have the original top half of the stock that broke off and the butt-plate. I'm not sure what I will do about that yet. I may try to find a replacement, but really think I will just leave it.

I wouldn't do a replacement
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Family heirloom........... - 10/29/15 08:37 PM

Originally Posted By: colt45
Originally Posted By: texretvet

I wouldn't do a replacement

Same here... youll drain the value of the gun
Posted By: Cast

Re: Family heirloom........... - 10/29/15 08:59 PM

It's beautiful and authentic just as it is. And, a great backstory that goes along with it!
Posted By: jeh7mmmag

Re: Family heirloom........... - 10/30/15 02:51 AM

That is a real beauty. Leave it alone and do a hunt with it. Document all of its history. cheers
Posted By: SaintsReturn

Re: Family heirloom........... - 10/30/15 04:52 PM

Thank you for taking the time to write this up and post pictures. Great story!
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Family heirloom........... - 10/31/15 12:50 AM

Awesome.
Posted By: Texas Tatonkas

Re: Family heirloom........... - 10/31/15 02:25 AM

That's pretty neat
Posted By: Slimpickin

Re: Family heirloom........... - 11/01/15 02:01 PM

My Dad bought a Savage 99 for Pappy in the early 60's. Along the way it was dropped and 1/3 of the stock broke off. Dad drilled and put dowls in before glueing it back together. We lost Dad last December and the rifle was handed down to me. Still a shooter and still hunted with. Maybe one day I'll have great Grandchldren to pass the rifle to along with the history.
Thanks for sharing your story!
Posted By: activescrape

Re: Family heirloom........... - 11/01/15 02:23 PM

Leave it, it adds character. Man, if that gun could talk.....
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: Family heirloom........... - 11/01/15 03:32 PM

This is going to go against the grain...but personally I'd hunt with it. That is what the rifle was built for. (also protection)

I think it deserves an 'original' stock and butt-plate, you can save the old one if the story behind it is important to you, but it adds no value to the gun. I appreciate the 'sentiment' it lends...so don't get me wrong.

Why 'retire' a functioning piece of history? There is 'Sentiment' yet to be realized IF used and cherished by you.... and whomever you pass it on to. If you choose to put it away....then you choose to finalize the history of the rifle.

It's a great piece, but not a rifle so rare or valuable that it should be in a museum.

Repair that butt-stock to its former 'rustic' and unbroken condition and use that baby! Pass it on....and let another USE it. Be sure to pass along the story behind it as well.

Great rifle, thanks for sharing.

Flint.
Posted By: TX_Huntress

Re: Family heirloom........... - 11/02/15 03:31 PM

Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks
Posted By: Chief Joe

Re: Family heirloom........... - 11/02/15 03:34 PM

Great story and rifle. I think I'd get a stock made for it but not change it out.. Time is on your side !! cheers

Re: Family heirloom........... - 11/03/15 01:44 AM

I would like to hunt with it at least once. The action is a little sloppy and I worry about the headspace. I have a couple of .38-40 rounds and they seem to lock in pretty tight, but I would want to have it checked out first. I don't know anything about the rounds I have so I would buy some of the old black powder rounds for it.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum