Texas Hunting Forum

Look at Who Showed Up

Posted By: Dude Lebowski

Look at Who Showed Up - 10/22/15 12:22 AM

He has been on another game cam but never on mine. I think he is 4 1/2 but he looks awfully good. His mass is kind of weak compared to the 10 point on my hit list. What do you think? confused2
Posted By: Boggyman

Re: Look at Who Showed Up - 10/22/15 12:30 AM

I would have a hard time not shooting him just on principle....double drop tines+kickers. Unless you have awesome genetics, I would be shocked if he was a 3.5y.o.
Posted By: chital_shikari

Re: Look at Who Showed Up - 10/22/15 12:31 AM

If you can let him pass then do so. He's gonna be a monster in 2-3 years.

If not any conservation minded people on the land, then rifle
Posted By: MikeC

Re: Look at Who Showed Up - 10/22/15 12:47 AM

I have a major weakness for drop tines! rifle

Re: Look at Who Showed Up - 10/22/15 12:54 AM

He is pretty safe where he is. My buddy next to me is the one with the itchy trigger finger. I have already talked to him about using some restraint. bang
Posted By: Justin T

Re: Look at Who Showed Up - 10/22/15 01:34 AM

Originally Posted By: Dude Lebowski
He is pretty safe where he is. My buddy next to me is the one with the itchy trigger finger. I have already talked to him about using some restraint. bang

Sounds like y'all should make a decision together. If you've talked to him about restraint, and then you whack it, he's gonna be pissed.

Re: Look at Who Showed Up - 10/22/15 01:42 AM

Originally Posted By: Justin T
Originally Posted By: Dude Lebowski

Sounds like y'all should make a decision together. If you've talked to him about restraint, and then you whack it, he's gonna be pissed.

He killed a single drop tine buck last year and it was not mature. We had a discussion about that deer after the fact. It is what it is. I have a mature 10 point that is my priority this year. At least I know he is 5 1/2 + years old. rifle This is what the 10 point looked like last year. He is even bigger now.
Posted By: Michael W.

Re: Look at Who Showed Up - 10/22/15 01:51 AM

He has the body of a younger deer. Wait at least one more year, 2 would be better.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Look at Who Showed Up - 10/22/15 02:14 AM

Very nice
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Look at Who Showed Up - 10/22/15 02:20 AM

If you want him shoot him.

I would get him if it were me
Posted By: txshntr

Re: Look at Who Showed Up - 10/22/15 03:00 AM

Good looking deer. Would be even bigger if he makes it another year, but not sure I would have the restraint depending on what else was running around. Older deer have more meaning to me than antler size, but I haven't shot a deer with a drop tine, much less 2...so I would have a hard time passing for the sake of passing. Lease rules are a different story.

No guarantee that the drops will be there next year.
Posted By: bassguy

Re: Look at Who Showed Up - 10/22/15 04:14 AM

You be the judge. It's your place and your money. Don't listen to these boys that live in the city and watch those 30 minute hunting shows all night, where all that talk about is letting that big 180 walk and how much bigger he will be next year. If you will look at some of their pencil horned pics on here they should have let those deer live another year or two. Very nice deer. Put a bow stand up and stick him.
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Look at Who Showed Up - 10/22/15 04:56 AM

If that deer came near me I'd shoot it.
Posted By: Trenton

Re: Look at Who Showed Up - 10/22/15 05:17 AM

I shot a deer that looked real similar to that one several years ago. Between lease mates and neighbors I didn't think he would make it another season let alone 2. Never regretted my decision. I'm sure there'd be some regret if he wasn't on my wall though.
Posted By: chital_shikari

Re: Look at Who Showed Up - 10/22/15 05:31 AM

2nd buck's definitely a shooter up
rifle
Posted By: kry226

Re: Look at Who Showed Up - 10/22/15 11:12 AM

Looks like he's got a tumbleweed strapped to his head. Awesome deer.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Look at Who Showed Up - 10/22/15 11:21 AM

That is a tough call. He looks 4.5 to me in the one pic. Mass always looks less in night pics.

I would shoot it if the rules were not being broken. Mother nature could kill him before anyone sees him again next year.
Posted By: Deerhunter61

Re: Look at Who Showed Up - 10/22/15 12:48 PM

Yep, I'm one of those men, not boys, I'm way to old to be called a boy, that lives in the city and I'd definitely consider shooting him. Like someone else said there's no guarantee he will have drop tines next year. I've never gotten a drop tine buck so the temptation would be great but if there are rules in place then everyone needs to follow them...that is of course unless this buck is the exception to the rule..lol. Not really sure why living in the city has anything to do with what decision a hunter would make on shooting this buck. I've noticed a couple of guys that don't live in the city say it'd be difficult to pass on this buck so why someone assumes only city guys would be tempted to shoot this buck is funny.
Posted By: duckbill

Re: Look at Who Showed Up - 10/22/15 12:59 PM

The dude abides
Posted By: TxAg

Re: Look at Who Showed Up - 10/22/15 01:17 PM

That is a tough call sir. Normally I'd let him walk another year but those double drops are rare indeed. In future years he may have more mass, and maybe more total inches, but will he have as much character?

Good luck making the decision. If nothing else, go hunt him and see what your gut says when he steps out!

Half the time we debate on whether or not to take a deer and it's all theoretical as we never actually see them anyway.
Posted By: DirtyHarry

Re: Look at Who Showed Up - 10/22/15 01:23 PM

You shoot him.. No question

Mature double drop.. Nuff said
Posted By: CRAnderson52

Re: Look at Who Showed Up - 10/22/15 01:43 PM

If I saw him it would be his last mistake.
Posted By: Ramsey

Re: Look at Who Showed Up - 10/22/15 01:57 PM

Depends on if I thought he would make it through the season.
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Look at Who Showed Up - 10/22/15 02:12 PM

Have we become so jaded by monster racks that people are actually saying to let this buck walk? You guys can hunt with me anytime. I'll gladly shoot that big bastage up
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Look at Who Showed Up - 10/22/15 02:49 PM

One word that sways me to say shoot him is-Anthrax. That is the game changer of all game changers out in your area. That said I think he is a 4 yr old and with more/better pics might bump him to 5. With droptines you never know if they are injury related or genetic. They can appear one year and never again. Be there every other year or every year. Out west in that area I have always told people think about shooting a buck they like due to the unknowns that could happen the next year. He could die in the rut, he could be shot by the neighbors, he could be poached, he could be killed by predators, he could get crippled up, you could have a pitiful rainfall year(s) next year(s), he could get Anthrax...etc. You could leave him and he blows up or does not grow the droptines ever again. Tough call to make, even tougher for that area.
Posted By: cowboybam58

Re: Look at Who Showed Up - 10/22/15 03:03 PM

For me the double drops would seal the deal. The chances of harvesting a buck like that are pretty slim. Like STX said, to many variables involved to let that one walk away.
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Look at Who Showed Up - 10/22/15 03:16 PM

Shoot him he may not be back next year. That 10 pointer is very nice as well.
Posted By: rickym

Re: Look at Who Showed Up - 10/22/15 03:22 PM

Originally Posted By: MikeC
I have a major weakness for drop tines! rifle

This. Unless your trying to only shoot 6 year olds and older I would have a really hard time passing on that deer.
Posted By: Bucks and Ducks

Re: Look at Who Showed Up - 10/22/15 04:26 PM

Originally Posted By: Brother in-law
If you want him shoot him.

I would get him if it were me

This^^^^^

City living or country living who gives a flying F
Posted By: TAFFMASTER

Re: Look at Who Showed Up - 10/22/15 04:34 PM

shoot him... I dont see the question??
Posted By: Western

Re: Look at Who Showed Up - 10/22/15 04:59 PM

Originally Posted By: txshntr
Good looking deer. Would be even bigger if he makes it another year, but not sure I would have the restraint depending on what else was running around. Older deer have more meaning to me than antler size, but I haven't shot a deer with a drop tine, much less 2...so I would have a hard time passing for the sake of passing. Lease rules are a different story.

No guarantee that the drops will be there next year.

That is the issue I would have holding off, a double DT doesn't come along every day. I do think it is a younger buck and it would be cool to have him on the wall, tough decision for sure. BTW, that 10 point from last year isnt a slouch either up
Posted By: Leonardo

Re: Look at Who Showed Up - 10/23/15 07:44 PM

I would shoot him no questions asked. He might be on the younger side but do you really have a plan in place for everyone on the ranch to shoot 6 to 7 year old deer?

I wouldn't opt to let this one grow if he is the only one. Shoot him and enjoy your kill. Too many things can happen.
Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: Look at Who Showed Up - 10/23/15 08:16 PM

Very Nice !!
Posted By: HuntnFly67

Re: Look at Who Showed Up - 10/23/15 08:29 PM

Range conditions were IDEAL this season for antler growth. I'm pessimistic with regard to Spring rains in 2016 - (yes I realize its cloudy and rained today). I think there is a chance he MIGHT decline slightly next season.

Shoot. No hesitation. I would trade 'your' older 10 for THAT mature (possibly sub-mature by a year) double drop buck in a heartbeat.

This coming from the guy that said I would have held off on the dead triple drop buck posted a few months back.
Posted By: Stickchunker

Re: Look at Who Showed Up - 10/23/15 10:03 PM

Pretty sure there is no way i could pass this deer, i know you have some good ones on your place, but like most have said, those double drops are no guarantee next year.
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: Look at Who Showed Up - 10/23/15 10:24 PM

Great looking buck man.
Posted By: Txcatman1

Re: Look at Who Showed Up - 10/24/15 03:59 AM

Next picture of that deer should be with you sittin behind it with a smile on your face
Posted By: 10pointers

Re: Look at Who Showed Up - 10/24/15 04:42 AM

rifle

Re: Look at Who Showed Up - 10/24/15 05:57 PM

Here is the 10 point this year in velvet. up

Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Look at Who Showed Up - 10/25/15 01:00 PM

that's a great lookin 10 cheers
Posted By: TonyinVA

Re: Look at Who Showed Up - 10/25/15 01:58 PM

Great Looking Deer
Posted By: rattler03

Re: Look at Who Showed Up - 10/25/15 06:08 PM

Those are 2 really nice bucks. I could definitely understand targeting the big 10 and letting the double drop tine buck grow another year. But, as others have said there is no guarantee that he'll repeat those drop tines. I've never even seen a drop tine buck, so I'd try to get him this season if it were my decision. Good luck with which ever buck you target, though,but having to chose between those 2 bucks is a win-win situation.
Posted By: cameron00

Re: Look at Who Showed Up - 10/25/15 06:24 PM

I would shoot the double-drop without a second of hesitation.

Very high likelihood you won't get another shot at one of those in your lifetime.

Re: Look at Who Showed Up - 10/25/15 06:53 PM

I have discussed this with the two guys that hunt closest to me. The drop tine buck will get a pass this year. We are really trying to kill mature 5 - 7 year old bucks.It is what it is. This is only the 2nd drop tine buck I have had at this location and it is hard to think about giving him a pass. I can live with this decision and hopefully can put the big 10 on the ground. I will post pics if and when that happens. up I have been doing this for a long time (30+ years) and have no regrets for any of the deer that I have let walk in the past.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Look at Who Showed Up - 10/25/15 07:29 PM

Good luck to you and the buck you are letting go grin I hope it works out for both of you cheers

Re: Look at Who Showed Up - 10/29/15 02:21 AM

So here is the mature 10 point out of velvet. Date and time stamp are incorrect. I could have a short season this year.

Posted By: txshntr

Re: Look at Who Showed Up - 10/29/15 02:46 AM

Brute of a ten!! Good luck up
Posted By: Western

Re: Look at Who Showed Up - 10/29/15 03:22 AM

Originally Posted By: txshntr
Brute of a ten!! Good luck up

X's 2, letting that double drop go, tough decision no question.
Posted By: Stub

Re: Look at Who Showed Up - 10/29/15 10:27 AM

Good looking buck, certainly would shorten my season too up
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum