Texas Hunting Forum

Big Fallow DRT at Wendy Lou *Updated*

Posted By: RedSnake

Big Fallow DRT at Wendy Lou *Updated* - 09/28/15 08:52 PM

Work has been slow so I took advantage and made a run out to the Wendy Lou Game Reserve outside of Hico last night. We got out at first light this morning. Temp right at 57 and Super Moon still visible in the west. Beautiful morning. There were game everywhere. I was guided by Kevin, Mike Odell's son-law and we immediately were on a couple big fallow bucks. I passed on those and few others early on.

As sun came up it got warm fast and fallow were holding tight to cover along the creek bottoms. Got out of Bad Boy buggy walked a bit. Bumped a few more smaller bucks but none I was interested in. They are rutting pretty hard already and you can hear em bellowing/grunting in the creek bottoms.

As the morning progressed, I started second guessing myself passing up the big ones early. We spot and stalked, spot and stalked and stalked a little more. Mid morning we drove up on a bunch of fallow does in the trees and there were a couple bruisers with them but too deep in the thick stuff to get a good look, but we could tell one was real nice. We hiked a few hundred yards to bootleg around them and was able to find this nice one in amongst the trees.

I pushed forward to about 100 yds of him and got a good broadside view. Let a 165gr Hornady SST rip out of the .308 -- put it in the boiler room and down he went.

The Wendy Lou is a great place with great people. Their hospitality is unmatched and top notch lodge and facilities. Thank you Mike and Kevin, for a great time, a great hunt, and great memories.

Posted By: dlrz71

Re: Big Fallow DRT - 09/28/15 08:56 PM

banana Awesome!!!
Posted By: TxAg

Re: Big Fallow DRT - 09/28/15 09:03 PM

Oh man and it looks like a Spotted Chocolate. One of my bucket list animals for sure.

Congrats, looking forward to the story!
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Big Fallow DRT - 09/28/15 09:19 PM

cheers popcorn
Posted By: coach20

Re: Big Fallow DRT - 09/28/15 09:28 PM

cheers
Posted By: JCB

Re: Big Fallow DRT - 09/28/15 09:45 PM

WOW!! Looks like a mini moose!
Posted By: sparrish8

Re: Big Fallow DRT - 09/28/15 10:05 PM