Texas Hunting Forum

Bag Limit of Ruff Grouse

Posted By: Hirogen

Bag Limit of Ruff Grouse - 09/27/15 03:55 AM

After work on Friday a buddy and I met up and headed up to my hunt camp as ruffie season is now open in my part of the world. We got up to the camp just after 6pm, settled in, fired up the bbq and ate a mess of venison sausage. This was followed by a bonfire and a few beverages and than to bed by 11pm so we could be up bright and early.

Got out the door with the shotguns loaded and ready about 5 minutes after legal light started. We walked 4 or 5 miles on various bush trails and also did some bushwhacking but only ended up with 5 or 6 flushes and one bird between the 2 of us. Headed back in and cooked up a pound of bacon and fried a dozen eggs and managed to demolish all the food plus some toast and coffee. Relaxed a little and checked the patterns on our guns and also tried each others shotguns (both 12 gauges, his a pump and mine a 60 year old A5) to compare recoil. My buddy's gun is definitely softer shooting than my old warhorse.

We went back out around noon, put a few more miles on and managed to flush another half dozen but did not connect with anything except a porcupine. Headed back to the cabin and bbq'd up a mess more venison and had another feed. We headed back out around 4pm and hunted almost until last light (about 730pm) and finally our luck changed. I ended up with a bag limit and my buddy potted a few as well.

All and all a pretty good time.

Me:

Friend:

Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Bag Limit of Ruff Grouse - 09/27/15 03:59 AM

Nice
Posted By: dkershen

Re: Bag Limit of Ruff Grouse - 09/27/15 08:56 AM

Nice job and dome great eating up
Posted By: Chief Joe

Re: Bag Limit of Ruff Grouse - 09/27/15 10:49 AM

up food
Posted By: kry226

Re: Bag Limit of Ruff Grouse - 09/27/15 11:33 AM

Originally Posted By: Chief Joe
up food
Posted By: Deerhunter61

Re: Bag Limit of Ruff Grouse - 09/27/15 01:50 PM

Nice!
Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Re: Bag Limit of Ruff Grouse - 09/27/15 03:14 PM

Congrats!
Posted By: Fooshman

Re: Bag Limit of Ruff Grouse - 09/27/15 06:05 PM

up
Posted By: Tru2lifetaxidermy

Re: Bag Limit of Ruff Grouse - 09/27/15 06:11 PM

Great eating birds. I grew up in MN hunting those with mt father every weekend, I miss those days
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Bag Limit of Ruff Grouse - 09/27/15 07:24 PM

Looks good. Put a new recoil spring in that A5 And adjust your friction ring if your shooting high brass. It shouldn't kick as hard as a pump.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Bag Limit of Ruff Grouse - 09/27/15 07:48 PM

thanks for sharing
Posted By: Michael W.

Re: Bag Limit of Ruff Grouse - 09/27/15 11:41 PM

Looks like a great hunt. Congrats on the birds.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum