Texas Hunting Forum

NW Kansas buck down

Posted By: Apretz

NW Kansas buck down - 09/25/15 03:12 PM

I shot this buck last thursday night after a brutally hot week of hunting. It was my first time ML hunting and I couldn't be happier with the end result. I hunted in a couple different tree stand all week on the edge of corn fields With highs in the upper 90s all week and there really wasn't a whole lot of activity. The two previous nights after hunting(before killing this buck) I was seeing a really good buck on the walk out crossing between two fields of corn. I couldn't tell how good he was but could tell he was a shooter. So with some cooperation from the wind the crossing became huntable and I set up a make shift ground blind out of ditch weeds and gave it a shot on my last night of hunting. I sat down about 5pmand it wasnt 30 min and I caught a glimpse of the buck walking into the corn about 40 yards in front of me but unable to get a shot. This was the buck I had been seeing but not the buck I shot. He was a stud and the biggest deer I had ever seen. He was a slick 10 with insane tine length. G2s and g3s both over 12" easily but never came back out of the corn. So with the night winding down I had a good 140 8pt come out and ended up passing him due to being a 3yo, to me I would rather go home empty handed than shoot a deer that's going to be a stud in years to come. So a few young buck busted me about 10 min before complete darkness and the night is all but lost and I've accepted that I'm going home empty handed with them blowing all around me and then this buck steps out staring right at me 15 yards in front of me. I was completely In shock that I had this buck in front of me and 10 seconds later the shot was fired. I could not believe that he stepped out and how fast it happened. The mass and body size was shocking after only shooting 150-170lb Texas bucks. I have him taped out at 167 +/- 1-2" with not knowing how to score the smaller bladed out kickers. He has 27" and 26.5" main beams. If you take out all the kickers and little points he is about a 160" 8pt.

Posted By: 8pointdrop

Re: NW Kansas buck down - 09/25/15 03:18 PM

Stud. Hunting until the last minute pays off sometimes.
Posted By: Western

Re: NW Kansas buck down - 09/25/15 03:25 PM

Great buck!! Good to see someone can go up there in poor conditions and "get-r-done" grin

Very nice!!
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: NW Kansas buck down - 09/25/15 03:29 PM

Hell of a buck
Posted By: Stevarino

Re: NW Kansas buck down - 09/25/15 03:30 PM

cheers
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: NW Kansas buck down - 09/25/15 03:32 PM

Stud congrats
Posted By: Triplesnake

Re: NW Kansas buck down - 09/25/15 03:45 PM

Great mass and character. Congrats! up
Posted By: Ramsey

Re: NW Kansas buck down - 09/25/15 03:48 PM

Awesome deer, and great hunting story
Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: NW Kansas buck down - 09/25/15 03:53 PM

Outstanding up
Posted By: Armalite260

Re: NW Kansas buck down - 09/25/15 04:23 PM

Big bodied joker too.. Fantastic buck!!
Posted By: texashelms

Re: NW Kansas buck down - 09/25/15 04:24 PM

Nice buck!!
Posted By: Apretz

Re: NW Kansas buck down - 09/25/15 04:55 PM

Thanks a lot everyone. I'm pretty happy about it!
Posted By: East

Re: NW Kansas buck down - 09/25/15 04:57 PM

Originally Posted By: SniperRAB
Outstanding up
Posted By: Booner1

Re: NW Kansas buck down - 09/25/15 04:59 PM

Awesome deer, congrats.
Posted By: Son of a Blitch

Re: NW Kansas buck down - 09/25/15 05:04 PM

well done!
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: NW Kansas buck down - 09/25/15 05:31 PM

Simply awesome buck. Great pics and story. Way to stick with it, and karma rewarded you for letting the young buck walk.

Big congrats on a GREAT buck. cheers
Posted By: txshntr

Re: NW Kansas buck down - 09/25/15 05:40 PM

Great deer and write up. Thanks for sharing up
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: NW Kansas buck down - 09/25/15 06:21 PM

Originally Posted By: txshntr
Great deer and write up. Thanks for sharing up
Posted By: redchevy

Re: NW Kansas buck down - 09/25/15 06:26 PM

eeks333

Hell of a buck, congrats! Nice to see patience pay off
Posted By: Pope&Young

Re: NW Kansas buck down - 09/25/15 07:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator
Simply awesome buck. Great pics and story. Way to stick with it, and karma rewarded you for letting the young buck walk.

Big congrats on a GREAT buck. cheers
Posted By: sparrish8

Re: NW Kansas buck down - 09/25/15 08:46 PM

Love Kansas deer big bodied and heavy horned Hoss
Posted By: rickym

Re: NW Kansas buck down - 09/25/15 08:48 PM

Heck of a buck my friend up
I would have to call it a 9 though due to the length of the g4 on the right side. It looks to be plenty over an inch.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: NW Kansas buck down - 09/25/15 09:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Apretz
I shot this buck last thursday night after a brutally hot week of hunting. It was my first time ML hunting and I couldn't be happier with the end result. I hunted in a couple different tree stand all week on the edge of corn fields With highs in the upper 90s all week and there really wasn't a whole lot of activity. The two previous nights after hunting(before killing this buck) I was seeing a really good buck on the walk out crossing between two fields of corn. I couldn't tell how good he was but could tell he was a shooter. So with some cooperation from the wind the crossing became huntable and I set up a make shift ground blind out of ditch weeds and gave it a shot on my last night of hunting. I sat down about 5pmand it wasnt 30 min and I caught a glimpse of the buck walking into the corn about 40 yards in front of me but unable to get a shot. This was the buck I had been seeing but not the buck I shot. He was a stud and the biggest deer I had ever seen. He was a slick 10 with insane tine length. G2s and g3s both over 12" easily but never came back out of the corn. So with the night winding down I had a good 140 8pt come out and ended up passing him due to being a 3yo, to me I would rather go home empty handed than shoot a deer that's going to be a stud in years to come. So a few young buck busted me about 10 min before complete darkness and the night is all but lost and I've accepted that I'm going home empty handed with them blowing all around me and then this buck steps out staring right at me 15 yards in front of me. I was completely In shock that I had this buck in front of me and 10 seconds later the shot was fired. I could not believe that he stepped out and how fast it happened. The mass and body size was shocking after only shooting 150-170lb Texas bucks. I have him taped out at 167 +/- 1-2" with not knowing how to score the smaller bladed out kickers. He has 27" and 26.5" main beams. If you take out all the kickers and little points he is about a 160" 8pt.

good god gurty what a stud
Posted By: bucksnbass357

Re: NW Kansas buck down - 09/25/15 09:49 PM

Congrats on a mighty fine buck. up
Posted By: kry226

Re: NW Kansas buck down - 09/26/15 03:59 AM

cheers
Posted By: THETEXAN

Re: NW Kansas buck down - 09/26/15 04:23 AM

Wow !!
Posted By: coach20

Re: NW Kansas buck down - 09/26/15 05:16 PM