Texas Hunting Forum

A Woodpecker & A Weasel

Posted By: BayouGuy

A Woodpecker & A Weasel - 03/04/15 05:17 AM

Ran across this on on another site.

Photographer Martin Le-May, explained his photo:

"As we walked we heard a distressed squawking and I saw that flash of green. So hurriedly I pointed out to Ann the bird and it settled into the grass behind a couple of small silver birch trees. Both of us trained our binoculars and it occurred that the woodpecker was unnaturally hopping about like it was treading on a hot surface.

Lots of wing flapping showing that gloriously yellow/white colour interspersed with the flash of red head feathers. Just after I switched from my binoculars to my camera the bird flew across us and slightly in our direction; suddenly it was obvious it had a small mammal on its back and this was a struggle for life.

The woodpecker landed in front of us and I feared the worst. I guess though our presence, maybe 25 meters away, momentarily distracted the weasel. The woodpecker seized the opportunity and flew up and away into some bushes away to our left. Quickly the bird gathered its self respect and flew up into the trees and away from our sight.

The woodpecker left with its life. The weasel just disappeared into the long grass, hungry."

Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: A Woodpecker & A Weasel - 03/04/15 05:32 AM

Great pic.
Posted By: texretvet

Re: A Woodpecker & A Weasel - 03/04/15 05:33 AM

Unbelievable!!!!
Posted By: jdk1985

Re: A Woodpecker & A Weasel - 03/04/15 11:22 AM

eek2
Posted By: Stub

Re: A Woodpecker & A Weasel - 03/04/15 11:52 AM

Wow a Cargo Jet Woodpecker scratch

I have Not done a Google search, but I would think it would be physically impossible for that Woodpecker to Take Off and fly especially from the ground with a Weasel on its back, much less just sustain flight if one were to jump on its back during flight bs

Also take a close look at the Weasel , looks like he is on a joy ride, no claws digging in, just casually riding along!!

"As we walked we heard a distressed squawking and I saw that flash of green. So hurriedly I pointed out to Ann the bird and it settled into the grass behind a couple of small silver birch trees. Both of us trained our binoculars and it occurred that the woodpecker was unnaturally hopping about like it was treading on a hot surface.

Lots of wing flapping showing that gloriously yellow/white colour interspersed with the flash of red head feathers. Just after I switched from my binoculars to my camera the bird flew across us and slightly in our direction; suddenly it was obvious it had a small mammal on its back and this was a struggle for life.

Re: A Woodpecker & A Weasel - 03/04/15 12:42 PM

Also strange that None of the birds feathers are messed up after all of this scratch
Posted By: JRJ6

Re: A Woodpecker & A Weasel - 03/04/15 01:17 PM

coolpics
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: A Woodpecker & A Weasel - 03/04/15 03:54 PM

I didn't know weasels were meat eaters? Cool pic if it's not photoshopped. up
Posted By: TooLow

Re: A Woodpecker & A Weasel - 03/04/15 03:54 PM

Very cool!

Re: A Woodpecker & A Weasel - 03/04/15 04:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Stub
Wow a Cargo Jet Woodpecker scratch
I have Not done a Google search, but I would think it would be physically impossible for that Woodpecker to Take Off and fly especially from the ground with a Weasel on its back,

I did. Look here.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-31711446
Posted By: elcasador

Re: A Woodpecker & A Weasel - 03/04/15 04:25 PM

HAHAHA, That woodpecker looks freaked out!
Posted By: passthru

Re: A Woodpecker & A Weasel - 03/04/15 05:10 PM

Used to trap weasels as a kid. In the winter they turned white. We call them Ermine.
http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/191701/ermine
Posted By: MikeC

Re: A Woodpecker & A Weasel - 03/04/15 05:32 PM

Saw that on the evening news yesterday. What are the odds of capturing that with a camera?

Re: A Woodpecker & A Weasel - 03/04/15 05:47 PM

Hey BayouGuy, I am not calling B.S. to you! It is a neat pic. Just does not appear to add up to me!
Posted By: ImTheReasonDovesMourn

Re: A Woodpecker & A Weasel - 03/04/15 05:59 PM

Originally Posted By: MikeC
Saw that on the evening news yesterday. What are the odds of capturing that with a camera?

Evidently 100%

Re: A Woodpecker & A Weasel - 03/04/15 06:50 PM

No sweat Stub.

At my hunting camp I once watched a weasel chase a rat twice it's size up a tree and through the treetops. The weasel would run up behind the rat and bite its flanks. The rat would drop from the tree to the ground, run and hide. The weasel ran down the tree, found where the rat hit, and trailed it to its hiding place. Then it was up the nearest tree again with the whole process repeating itself. After about five rounds of that the weasel killed the rat on the ground and dragged it off.

Re: A Woodpecker & A Weasel - 03/04/15 07:02 PM

I couldn't stop laughing when I seen this.
Posted By: Whitecrow

Re: A Woodpecker & A Weasel - 03/04/15 07:06 PM

Cool pic, but I'm a doubter on it's authenticity.
Posted By: Cast

Re: A Woodpecker & A Weasel - 03/04/15 07:09 PM

Photoshop
Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: A Woodpecker & A Weasel - 03/04/15 08:25 PM

I don't know if I'm falling for this one.
Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: A Woodpecker & A Weasel - 03/04/15 09:07 PM

Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: A Woodpecker & A Weasel - 03/04/15 09:09 PM

How did I know that was coming. roflmao
Posted By: Txkiller

Re: A Woodpecker & A Weasel - 03/04/15 09:24 PM

roflmao
Posted By: East

Re: A Woodpecker & A Weasel - 03/04/15 09:29 PM

rofl

Re: A Woodpecker & A Weasel - 03/04/15 09:43 PM

clap

Re: A Woodpecker & A Weasel - 03/04/15 10:07 PM

I just knew Rab was going to do that to TRex laugh
Okay I am on my not so smart phone; question how big is an average Size Weasel & weight and how big & weight on the Wood Pecker. I think there is going to be an issue with a law of physics here confused2
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: A Woodpecker & A Weasel - 03/04/15 11:12 PM

Originally Posted By: SniperRAB

Well played Scooter. roflmao
Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: A Woodpecker & A Weasel - 03/04/15 11:13 PM

Dave wouldn't have it any other way Sir... up

Re: A Woodpecker & A Weasel - 03/04/15 11:34 PM

Originally Posted By: Stub
question how big is an average Size Weasel & weight and how big & weight on the Wood Pecker. I think there is going to be an issue with a law of physics here

QUOTES FROM THE BRITISH NEWS MEDIA

Wildlife expert Lucy Cooke told the BBC News Channel: "This is a truly extraordinary image.

"The green woodpecker is a ground-feeding bird, but weasels normally attack rabbits. The woodpecker is not its usual prey.

"But weasels are fearless.

"A female weasel weighs less than a Mars Bar but is as ferocious as a lion, so this is why the woodpecker would have been able to take off with it on its back."

Wildlife presenter Steve Backshall says he has no reason to doubt the photo is real
Wildlife presenter Steve Backshall agrees that while highly unusual it is not totally unheard of and has "no reason to doubt" the photo.

He compared the woodpecker to other animals like leaf cutter ants and rhino beetles, which can carry 850 times their body weight.

He said: "The weasel is pretty fascinating as well. It can kill things much bigger than itself, so it's an impressive little creature when you think about its size."

Re: A Woodpecker & A Weasel - 03/05/15 12:59 AM

Okay I have done a little research and snopes and others have no reason to doubt its real.
After doing size relationship research, the weasel and this variety of Woodpecker are about the same size 7.5 to 9" in length?

I still have a hard time believing that as the story goes, they are fighting in the grass, the weasel jumps on its back and the Woodpecker is able to take off from the ground and fly with this predator on its back (Quote from above; is as ferocious as a lion) ? Look real close at the woodpecker in this picture, do you see one feather ruffled like it has been in an altercation? Imagine how tight a grip and furiously that weasel had to grab and hold on just to get airborne with this bird, much less the grip it would have to have on those feathers to hold on during flight.

Am I blind, or does anyone else see any signs that one feather has been messed up in this altercation with this fierce predator confused2

If its real, wow! Hard to believe looking at the facts and physics involved!

Okay I am done muyloco
Posted By: Toxarch

Re: A Woodpecker & A Weasel - 03/05/15 06:50 AM

Posted By: Trevor B

Re: A Woodpecker & A Weasel - 03/05/15 02:26 PM

I see the bait, but I aint biting! Anyone else think that it looks like terrible taxidermy work?

I hesitate to discredit it completely since Fox News reported on this yesterday, but I only heard the "Up Next" headline and didn't stay for the story.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum