Texas Hunting Forum

Biggest buck I've ever killed!!

Posted By: Sprman

Biggest buck I've ever killed!! - 01/08/15 06:15 PM

Head back down to Brooks Ranch in Swinny Switch in Live Oak county. Second time back and as always, had a great time. Great laid back people with great deer. We got in on Dec 12 and went out to see what we could see. Had a bunch of good deer, but all too young. Like this one.

Then we decided to set the Fox Pro off and see if we could get a few yotes to come in. They didn't disappoint us. After about 10 mins of cotton tail, I spotted the first one at about 60 yards in the brush to our right and let the lead fly. Dropped her right there. Then we switched to a different cotton tail just to see if there were more... sure enough, a second came in from the left and as I got on her, she started trotting away... but didn't trot fast enough. 2nd yote down within 5 mins from the same set.

So after all this, we were getting ready to get down since we had just shot two coyotes, we figured they wouldn't come back. This was about 45 min shooting light left. Well, we looked way to the left and saw a couple small bucks and a doe running around about 700 yards away. The bucks were running does pretty good the whole weekend. Then saw a couple good ones coming down off a hill through the brush. Saw two real good ones, but we never were able to get a good view of them to see if they had anything broken off or make sure they were old enough and they never came within 550 yards with a couple does and smaller bucks around them. So we went ahead and got out at dark and grabbed the yotes and went back for cold beer and dinner. Went back out the next day and saw several more good bucks, but again, younger ones with a lot of potential. Had a 9 point picked out that was on the last day list if we didn't see anything else. Nothing special, just a cool rack that was wide. Decided to jump down and drive around to see what we saw before headed back to the house for some food as we were both getting hungry. Walking back to the truck, which was parked behind the brush about 60 yards behind us on the side of another field, we saw a big buck and smaller buck trying to catch a hot doe. We got a decent look at em, but they weren't staying around long and once the doe ran off, the big guy went directly with her. So we got in the truck and started to drive around and corn out for later that day. As we were leaving, we saw a BIG body in the field we were just watching.... So we corned and watched him go in and out of the brush on the edge of the field with a doe. We decided to leave them be and drove around for awhile scouting and putting corn out. We decided to back track to the starting spot after about an hour and see what was still out there. Sure enough, we spotted him standing in the middle of the field getting some of the corn we put out. Didn't seem as interested in the doe anymore so hopefully he got him a piece while we were gone. We decided to take him and began the set up. I had him at 200 yards and he was closing the gap on the other side of the field. He got to about 125, and spotted us on the side of the truck... well, I've been holding the crosshairs on him the whole time so as soon as he stopped and gave a broadside shot, I sent it. He jumped an ran about 20 yards up a scendero and pilled up. When we laid hands on him, he had zero ground shrinkage, hell, we had ground growth!! Big body and great mass!! Live weight was a little over 225 lbs and had right at 40" of mass. 14 scorable points and a final tally of 170 3/8" My biggest buck to date and I'm not sure when/if I'll beat him. I was on cloud nine the rest of the weekend. and now after reading all that stuff, here he is!!

Posted By: txshntr

Re: Biggest buck I've ever killed!! - 01/08/15 06:18 PM

Great buck and story!!! Thanks for sharing, that one is going to be tough to top up
Posted By: kry226

Re: Biggest buck I've ever killed!! - 01/08/15 06:26 PM

Great buck! cheers
Posted By: passthru

Re: Biggest buck I've ever killed!! - 01/08/15 06:27 PM

Dang. Great deer.
Posted By: tdecker22

Re: Biggest buck I've ever killed!! - 01/08/15 06:41 PM

Great buck man. Cangrats
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Biggest buck I've ever killed!! - 01/08/15 06:50 PM

Fantastic deer of a lifetime! Great story...
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Biggest buck I've ever killed!! - 01/08/15 07:04 PM

Congrats.
Posted By: Sprman

Re: Biggest buck I've ever killed!! - 01/08/15 07:13 PM

Thanks everyone. One thing we found funny was the bullet never exited. I shoot a Rem 7 mag Federal Fusion 150gr and we found it on the other side of the deer about a foot back form the projected path. We thought that it hit some of the guts, but nothing was damaged when we looked. We think it went in and went through the heart, then kicked off the other side rib and went almost 90 degrees till it stopped. Gonna have the bullet mounted with it.
Posted By: rattler03

Re: Biggest buck I've ever killed!! - 01/08/15 07:20 PM

Great story, awesome buck! Congrats
Posted By: huntnguide83

Re: Biggest buck I've ever killed!! - 01/08/15 07:26 PM

Congrats again bud. Good looking hat too. Hopefully we can get one bigger in Illinois this year but that's gonna be a tall order!
Posted By: jshouse

Re: Biggest buck I've ever killed!! - 01/08/15 07:26 PM

great buck cheers
Posted By: Grosvenor

Re: Biggest buck I've ever killed!! - 01/08/15 07:54 PM

Great buck! Our ranch is right down the road from there.
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Biggest buck I've ever killed!! - 01/08/15 08:03 PM

Mighty nice, congrats!
Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: Biggest buck I've ever killed!! - 01/08/15 08:34 PM

Congrats, Great Buck up
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Biggest buck I've ever killed!! - 01/08/15 08:35 PM

Originally Posted By: txshntr
Great buck and story!!! Thanks for sharing, that one is going to be tough to top up
Posted By: dgilbert

Re: Biggest buck I've ever killed!! - 01/08/15 08:59 PM

Very nice, congrats!
Posted By: Booner1

Re: Biggest buck I've ever killed!! - 01/08/15 09:02 PM

Very nice!
Posted By: Southtexas36

Re: Biggest buck I've ever killed!! - 01/08/15 09:20 PM

Awesome buck, congrats. up
Posted By: WTGuide

Re: Biggest buck I've ever killed!! - 01/08/15 09:27 PM

up up
Posted By: dkershen

Re: Biggest buck I've ever killed!! - 01/08/15 09:49 PM

Great old buck!
Posted By: UT#1

Re: Biggest buck I've ever killed!! - 01/08/15 10:20 PM

That's an awesome buck.
Posted By: wayne22-250

Re: Biggest buck I've ever killed!! - 01/09/15 02:36 AM

Congrats on a very nice buck
Posted By: AXA OUTFITTERS

Re: Biggest buck I've ever killed!! - 01/09/15 02:46 AM

Great Buck & Story !!
Posted By: erniejs

Re: Biggest buck I've ever killed!! - 01/09/15 03:08 AM

cheers
Posted By: Lotto

Re: Biggest buck I've ever killed!! - 01/09/15 03:11 AM

Congratulations on a very nice buck.
Posted By: KG68

Re: Biggest buck I've ever killed!! - 01/09/15 03:25 AM

Originally Posted By: Lotto
Congratulations on a very nice buck.
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Biggest buck I've ever killed!! - 01/09/15 05:14 AM

What a monster. banana
Posted By: fadetoblack64

Re: Biggest buck I've ever killed!! - 01/09/15 11:53 AM

super nice buck........that top pic(of the young buck) is going to be an awesome one to watch grow
Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)

Re: Biggest buck I've ever killed!! - 01/09/15 12:11 PM

Awesome buck
Posted By: postoak

Re: Biggest buck I've ever killed!! - 01/09/15 01:08 PM

Well, you obviously get to hunt on a fantastic place! I would have taken the deer in that first photo, young or not! How old do you think he is, anyway?

Bullets do some crazy things. Two weirdest for me, both perfect behind the shoulder shots, one ranged forward and then turned straight up and exited the top of the neck, a second one ranged forward and exited the front of the chest. Interestingly, these were from the same box of ammo.
Posted By: Stub

Re: Biggest buck I've ever killed!! - 01/09/15 01:18 PM

This cheers
Posted By: landsurveyor

Re: Biggest buck I've ever killed!! - 01/09/15 02:44 PM

Outstanding buck! Congrats
Posted By: DiverTexas

Re: Biggest buck I've ever killed!! - 01/09/15 02:59 PM

Awesome story and buck, congrats.
Posted By: bkj

Re: Biggest buck I've ever killed!! - 01/09/15 10:09 PM

Nice!
Posted By: quackaholic1

Re: Biggest buck I've ever killed!! - 01/10/15 03:36 AM

great buck congrats
Posted By: BA223

Re: Biggest buck I've ever killed!! - 01/10/15 09:12 PM

Dang, that's a big ol' deer... Congratulations!
Posted By: Western

Re: Biggest buck I've ever killed!! - 01/11/15 12:09 AM

X's 2!! ,might as well hang up your guns and get a fish'n pole grin
Posted By: 10 point

Re: Biggest buck I've ever killed!! - 01/11/15 02:03 AM

Very nice buck congrats
Posted By: 30-06rem

Re: Biggest buck I've ever killed!! - 01/11/15 02:18 AM

real nice buck
Posted By: HaskellCoDeerKiller

Re: Biggest buck I've ever killed!! - 01/11/15 02:22 PM

Very Good deer and awesome story. clap
Posted By: WLR Hunter

Re: Biggest buck I've ever killed!! - 01/11/15 03:53 PM

Great story and terrific buck - congrats!
Posted By: TonyinVA

Re: Biggest buck I've ever killed!! - 01/12/15 03:53 AM

great deer...congrats
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Biggest buck I've ever killed!! - 01/12/15 02:05 PM

Great story and beautiful buck. Congrats. cheers
Posted By: Elkhunter49

Re: Biggest buck I've ever killed!! - 01/12/15 02:07 PM

Congrats on a great looking buck, a true monster!!!
Posted By: SowHntr

Re: Biggest buck I've ever killed!! - 01/12/15 02:16 PM

Great buck, congrats!
Posted By: ILUVBIGBUCKS

Re: Biggest buck I've ever killed!! - 01/12/15 02:59 PM

Hell of a buck.
Congrats
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum