Texas Hunting Forum

I need to get a bipod for my camera

Posted By: Curtis

I need to get a bipod for my camera - 12/17/14 12:54 PM

The long range shots like this at 300 yards with my camera are just not crisp enough. The lens is a 300 mm Canon and it does really well at under 200 yards but I can't hold steady enough for really crisp shots.

Posted By: stxranchman

Re: I need to get a bipod for my camera - 12/17/14 01:09 PM

cheers I use a tripod most of the time on my pics even close shots.
Posted By: Marc K

Re: I need to get a bipod for my camera - 12/17/14 01:38 PM

Monopods worked really well for me with long lenses. Collapsible, lightweight and fast. Nowhere near as good as a quality tripod, but dramatically better than nothing. Once you get used to it, a 2-3 stop gain in usable shutter speed is easy to get.

Re: I need to get a bipod for my camera - 12/17/14 06:54 PM

I have one of the new Bog-Pod tripods and I noticed today they make a camera attachement accessory for it. I may get one and use that.
Posted By: artrios60

Re: I need to get a bipod for my camera - 12/17/14 07:47 PM

I use the Primos trigger stick, doubles as my camera bi-pod by taking off gun rest, easily removed and screws right to bottom of my nikon cameras and large lenses
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: I need to get a bipod for my camera - 12/17/14 07:48 PM

Just shoot one of them there Axis walk up wishing 10 ft and take a pic lol
Posted By: Michael W.

Re: I need to get a bipod for my camera - 12/18/14 01:18 AM

Looks like you had plenty of light. Bump the shutter speed up the next time. If a bit dark then bump up the ISO.
All in all that is not a bad shot at all.

Re: I need to get a bipod for my camera - 12/18/14 05:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Michael W.
Looks like you had plenty of light. Bump the shutter speed up the next time. If a bit dark then bump up the ISO.
All in all that is not a bad shot at all.

I think you guys are right on the shutter speed. I went back into Lightroom and looked at the setting on that picture. It was taken in Auto mode. I normally do Manual but I guess I was in such a hurry I forgot to make the switch on the dial. I was in my truck when I took the picture and the engine was cut off. It stinks that I goofed that shot because that would have made a really nice picture if it was in focus more.
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: I need to get a bipod for my camera - 12/18/14 07:51 PM

When I was a photographer for a newspaper and covered sports, a monopod was the best. Albee to deploy quickly, gave me enough steadiness to get crisp pictures of fast-moving action and you could swivel quickly without tripping over three legs from a tripod. You can get them pretty cheap, they are collapsible and sturdy if you're banging it around by accident.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: I need to get a bipod for my camera - 12/19/14 01:59 AM

I use a viper summit SS tripod and a quick connect attachment. More for sitting though
Posted By: jdk1985

Re: I need to get a bipod for my camera - 12/19/14 02:00 AM

It looks like you need to get a rifle!
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: I need to get a bipod for my camera - 12/19/14 02:10 AM

Get a cedar fence stave, figure out how high you want the camera, cut it off and get a bolt with 1/4-20 threads. Drill a hole in the top of the cedar stick, and cut off the head of the bolt, epoxy it in place. One monopod, about $3. Want it fancy? Add a few dollars more for sandpaper and a little finish.

Re: I need to get a bipod for my camera - 12/19/14 05:08 PM

Originally Posted By: jdk1985
It looks like you need to get a rifle!

I have taken several over the last 12 years with a rifle and only two with a bow. I want to get my next one with a bow or a handgun(revolver not a TC job shooting a rifle cartridge).

But yes, I was really wishing I had a client with me that day. smile They have been coming out to the field from behind that location and to the west from the mesquite patch every day for the last three weeks and usually around 12-2pm. No feeders anywhere near there. One protein feeder about 300 yards west of there and a corn feeder way on the south pasture. Another corn feeder back in the funnel. We have had a few rain storms in the last month and they are eating ryegrass and oats that we broadcast out into that pasture.

Re: I need to get a bipod for my camera - 12/19/14 05:12 PM

Originally Posted By: dogcatcher
Get a cedar fence stave, figure out how high you want the camera, cut it off and get a bolt with 1/4-20 threads. Drill a hole in the top of the cedar stick, and cut off the head of the bolt, epoxy it in place. One monopod, about $3. Want it fancy? Add a few dollars more for sandpaper and a little finish.

That would work except I want something that will easily fold or collapse and to fit into my truck. Something I dont have to mess with getting out of the truck to get and scramble with under the back seat. And I already have a bogpod so all I need is the attachment to fit on top of it.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum