Texas Hunting Forum

Hunt County

Posted By: swmays

Hunt County - 11/27/14 06:27 PM

I've been hunting the woods in back of my Hopkins county place for about ten years. It's not what would be considered deer country, but it's my little slice of heaven. My son has taken a doe and a really nice buck off of it. I've taken a little buck. The past two years its been nothing but coyotes. NADA!

So, last week I hung a little bucket feeder on a place I have in Hunt County where I've seen a few does. This morning I went and sat on a camp stool in a fence line so to catch a doe coming out of the river bottom. They come in across a 40 acre meadow giving me a clear view. I was fooled though, at first light this guy showed up at the feeder from behind me. 45 paces away. Due to the bunch grass I had trouble determining if he was really a spike. He was. Boom!

Finally, a little something for the freezer... up
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Hunt County - 11/27/14 06:58 PM

Good eatin right there! up
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Hunt County - 11/27/14 07:13 PM

Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks
Good eatin right there! up

Fo sho! I'm in the same scenrio, not many deer in my area, and I finally got a little doe on camera Oct. 31. Also had what looks like a buck body in twilight on Nov 6. At least there's hope.
Posted By: ImTheReasonDovesMourn

Re: Hunt County - 11/27/14 07:48 PM

I heard a shot while I was in my blind this morning. I wonder if that was you.
Posted By: Mambajeep

Re: Hunt County - 11/27/14 07:55 PM

Chili time
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Hunt County - 11/28/14 01:14 AM

Congrats!!!
Posted By: 01Z-71

Re: Hunt County - 11/28/14 02:30 AM

I know what you mean. I have lived near Cumby, for 12 yrs. now, and just this spring a doe showed up beside my house twice and that was all. Taken alot of pigs, some bigguns, but no deer. I go all the way over to the Sabine National Forest, for 19yrs. now, and have taken my share of bucks, some pretty nice,and does. Took a 3-4 yr.old 8-point on the 12th. of Nov. Hunt County land owners are pretty tight with there land, usually family only, but I have seen some record book bucks go down around here. I took a 20" wide 10pt. over by Lone Oak/ Miller Grove, back in Dec.2000, on a friends place. My father in law lives in Wolfe City, and he knows of some good bucks taken around there. I'll go, happy Thanksgiving to all.
Posted By: tdecker22

Re: Hunt County - 11/29/14 03:02 AM

Originally Posted By: dogcatcher
Congrats!!!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum