Texas Hunting Forum

The greatest buck of my life....

Posted By: tdecker22

The greatest buck of my life.... - 11/06/14 05:29 PM

I have been hunting northern Missouri for about 6 years now and have fell in love with it up there. Last year I found some property in North Eastern Missouri close to the Iowa line that I wanted to start hunting. I got in with the land owner and was got to shoot a nice buck last year with my rifle. Well all summer long his son has been sending me trail camera pics of the deer they have there and this has been a great year for big deer. I never would have thought that one of the biggest deer they have on camera I would have a chance to shoot much less with my bow. Here we go...

Pitchfork predator (Marc) and myself hunted last Thursday morning and afternoon and we were both able to see some nice bucks and were well within bow range, but not shooters. Friday morning we woke up to a cold front that had blew in during the night and the wind was blowing about 35 straight out of the north. The temp was 33 degree when I got out of my truck at 6am and was continuing to drop. No way was I not going to hunt but this to me just wasnt ideal conditions. I had seen 2 doe about 30 minutes after daylight and that was all. At 7:55 I turned and looked over my back left shoulder to see this deer walking straight to my shooting lane on my left and he would walk out at around 18 yards. At this time the deer was only at 30-35 yards away. As I grabbed my bow and kind of scooted to the left to position myself correctly I knocked my rattle bag off of the platform on the ladder stand. It hit the brace leg and then clanged again when it hit the ground. I guess I took my eyes off of the deer for a moment and then I looked back to where he was and he had disappeared. There was alot of think brush behind me but I still couldnt beleive how this buck could just disappear. I waited for around 5 minutes and I got by binos out and started going thru the brush looking for him. I finally spotted him and he was now walking behind my tree. I stood up and had to get my bow to the other side of the tree. As he walked passed the tree and then thru a ditch I pulled the Mathews back and found a good spot to shoot him. He was walking very slowly so I didnt even stop him and he got to my mark and I let on fly. The deer was 1/4 away and the shot looked good. He was 15 yards. I saw him run out in a corn patch for about 75 yards and then he stopped and i could see blood falling out of him. He then took of walking and walked for about 75 yards and stopped again. Next when he took of walking again that was the last i saw of him. Pitchfork is the only one I told about it at our camp. He went with me to recover him. We let the deer lay for 5.5 hours until we went looking for him. Tracking job was easy an I couldnt belive the what we came up on. We scored him at 182 1/4' with 44" of mass. One base was 7" the other 9". These pictures do him no justice. I hope you enjoy. This beats the biggest deer i have on the wall by 45". Also this is a free range hunt with no fences. Not that this matters to all but I know it will be asked. Even got my pic with Terry Drury. 16 scoreable points.

Posted By: RedSnake

Re: The greatest buck of my life.... - 11/06/14 05:30 PM

up
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: The greatest buck of my life.... - 11/06/14 05:32 PM

cheers
Posted By: jshouse

Re: The greatest buck of my life.... - 11/06/14 05:33 PM

that is an absolute stud man, congrats, dont know if Marc told you but i was hearing rumors about that buck before i saw it on here lol...big buck news travels fast!
Posted By: Branden

Re: The greatest buck of my life.... - 11/06/14 05:34 PM

Awesome buck congrats up
Posted By: Mambajeep

Re: The greatest buck of my life.... - 11/06/14 05:35 PM

up
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: The greatest buck of my life.... - 11/06/14 05:37 PM

Man, what an incredible buck. Congratulations!
Posted By: Elkhunter49

Re: The greatest buck of my life.... - 11/06/14 05:38 PM

Hell of a buck, congrats sir !
Posted By: DXB

Re: The greatest buck of my life.... - 11/06/14 05:39 PM

Awesome, congrats!
Posted By: USMCatfish

Re: The greatest buck of my life.... - 11/06/14 05:41 PM

Great deer...To go with a great story...Congrats
Posted By: Grosvenor

Re: The greatest buck of my life.... - 11/06/14 05:43 PM

hell yes! more pics
Posted By: Navasot

Re: The greatest buck of my life.... - 11/06/14 05:58 PM

cheers
Posted By: TAFFMASTER

Re: The greatest buck of my life.... - 11/06/14 06:22 PM

Very nice!
Posted By: burkie38

Re: The greatest buck of my life.... - 11/06/14 06:24 PM

Giant! Congrats
Posted By: pokerj2

Re: The greatest buck of my life.... - 11/06/14 06:29 PM

Awesome buck. I really like the left side!
Posted By: MikeC

Re: The greatest buck of my life.... - 11/06/14 07:22 PM

What a great buck cheers
Posted By: slimpickens

Re: The greatest buck of my life.... - 11/06/14 07:38 PM

That's awesome. Congrats
Posted By: Satch

Re: The greatest buck of my life.... - 11/06/14 07:59 PM

Originally Posted By: MikeC
What a great buck cheers
Posted By: kry226

Re: The greatest buck of my life.... - 11/06/14 07:59 PM

Originally Posted By: slimpickens
That's awesome. Congrats
Posted By: jdk1985

Re: The greatest buck of my life.... - 11/06/14 08:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Branden
Awesome buck congrats up
Posted By: Concho

Re: The greatest buck of my life.... - 11/06/14 08:01 PM

Nice!
Posted By: cameron00

Re: The greatest buck of my life.... - 11/06/14 08:19 PM

Not sure what you're talking about with the pics not doing him justice...he looks HUGE in the pictures.

Congrats. Amazing deer.
Posted By: kdkane1971

Re: The greatest buck of my life.... - 11/06/14 08:19 PM

Congratulations on a great buck and awesome hunt up
Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: The greatest buck of my life.... - 11/06/14 08:25 PM

Outstanding Travis!!! Simply Outstanding up
Posted By: ZK-315

Re: The greatest buck of my life.... - 11/06/14 08:37 PM

awesome buck!
Posted By: East

Re: The greatest buck of my life.... - 11/06/14 08:39 PM

Very nice!
Posted By: My stand is pink camo

Re: The greatest buck of my life.... - 11/06/14 09:47 PM

Congrats on a huge and incredible buck!!!
Posted By: dkershen

Re: The greatest buck of my life.... - 11/06/14 10:11 PM

What a stud. Congrats up
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: The greatest buck of my life.... - 11/06/14 10:58 PM

What a buck!!!!! I picked up these horns and held them numerous times because you just can't comprehend the mass and weight of those horns when you hold them in your hands. I was so excited when Travis told me he had arrowed this deer. We watched pics and video of him all summer thinking it would be a dream to actually see a buck like that in real life let alone get a shot at one at 15 yards. I had to leave this hunt a day and a half early because of my mothers health. I was hunting that cow of a ten point that he's standing next to in the trail cam pic. A member of Travis family had him at 28 yards and buck fever took over and he couldn't close the deal. I hope Travis gets him during gun season and if he doesn't that some way he makes it another year and we see him again on camera to dream about getting a chance at him next year.

cheers
Posted By: Western

Re: The greatest buck of my life.... - 11/06/14 11:01 PM

WOW!! Heck of a buck!! Challenge may be besting that big fella, you have to be on cloud 9, congrats..Great read too BTW

Re: The greatest buck of my life.... - 11/07/14 01:11 AM

Thanks for all the complements. It's still hard for me to believe I have actually killed a deer like that and I am going to get to look at him on the wall. I come home and have to put my hands on the horns again just for the hell of it. I have to take them back to missouri with me next Thursday and I wont get to see them again till march when he ships my mount to me.
Posted By: LandPirate

Re: The greatest buck of my life.... - 11/07/14 01:15 AM

What a hoss. Congrats.
Posted By: Western

Re: The greatest buck of my life.... - 11/07/14 01:28 AM

Originally Posted By: tdecker22
Thanks for all the complements. It's still hard for me to believe I have actually killed a deer like that and I am going to get to look at him on the wall. I come home and have to put my hands on the horns again just for the hell of it. I have to take them back to missouri with me next Thursday and I wont get to see them again till march when he ships my mount to me.

You will have 3 Christmases this year!

Re: The greatest buck of my life.... - 11/07/14 01:31 AM

Originally Posted By: Western
Originally Posted By: tdecker22

You will have 3 Christmases this year!

You make a good point.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: The greatest buck of my life.... - 11/07/14 02:03 AM

Congrats.
Posted By: tannerlst

Re: The greatest buck of my life.... - 11/07/14 03:07 AM

Awesome deer man !
Posted By: texretvet

Re: The greatest buck of my life.... - 11/07/14 03:32 AM

up
Posted By: wacorusty

Re: The greatest buck of my life.... - 11/07/14 03:39 AM

WOW! eek2 flehan
Posted By: txshntr

Re: The greatest buck of my life.... - 11/07/14 04:51 AM

Outstanding buck!!!! Going to be hard to top that one!!! What a monster up
Posted By: Rockinmyshoe

Re: The greatest buck of my life.... - 11/07/14 04:57 AM

Really nice Buck, I woulda been Shakin so bad he would have walked, definatly a Buck of a lifetime. Congrats cheers
Posted By: NDN98

Re: The greatest buck of my life.... - 11/07/14 05:34 AM

Buck of a lifetime. Congrats!
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: The greatest buck of my life.... - 11/07/14 11:07 AM

Great buck and great shot too!
Posted By: Seadog

Re: The greatest buck of my life.... - 11/07/14 12:33 PM

Originally Posted By: cameron00
Not sure what you're talking about with the pics not doing him justice...he looks HUGE in the pictures.

Congrats. Amazing deer.
Posted By: firemack

Re: The greatest buck of my life.... - 11/07/14 01:39 PM

Wow banana
Posted By: DiverTexas

Re: The greatest buck of my life.... - 11/07/14 02:28 PM

What a brute, congrats!
Posted By: WTGuide

Re: The greatest buck of my life.... - 11/07/14 10:35 PM

up
Posted By: Roach Painting Co.

Re: The greatest buck of my life.... - 11/08/14 10:56 PM

Very good deer
Posted By: Fooshman

Re: The greatest buck of my life.... - 11/08/14 11:24 PM

Congrats!
Posted By: Kill Box ALPHA

Re: The greatest buck of my life.... - 11/09/14 10:29 PM

Super nice buck!

Re: The greatest buck of my life.... - 11/10/14 10:56 PM

Thanks again to all of you. I'm still pumped about killing this deer.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum