Texas Hunting Forum

Think I will sleep in tomorrow - semi long read

Posted By: East

Think I will sleep in tomorrow - semi long read - 11/02/14 05:28 AM

Started the day off just like everyone this morning. Took BM (girlfriend) and got in the blind early. Froze our tails off and watched 3 trophy squirrels till about 9:30 and had to rap it up to get up to the metro mess to get to my nephews bday party. Based of TC photos I knew nothing was hitting in the morning other than 20-30 hogs in the early AM before daylight. Around midnight to 2 AM.

But I did have a solid set of 9-11 doe and a spike hitting the feeders in the evening. Same spike I was chasing last year but never got a shot. They have mostly been hitting the feeder on the pop up so I decided when I got back from Dallas I was going to sit there. I got in very late, around 4:30. As I sat there getting comfortable I looked up and noticed the roof of the blind was lined with red wasp. Being highly allergic I decided to abort this spot. Luckily with the cool weather they weren't flying and I was able to escape.

So I made the walk to the tower blind. After about 30 min a pair of twin button bucks and their mama came in on my left about 20 yards from the blind and worked their way to the feeder. The bucks were to busy running around and playing while mama kept a look out and grazed on the corn for a bit.

After 20 min or so, some type of vodoo bird raised cain and they trotted off. About 30 min before dark I could hear something in the bush and lone behold the spike from the TC walked out. I waited and watched him, he never touched the corn, just walked around scrapping every tree in sight. Finally before last light I decided just in case nothing promising showed on cam I was going to take him. He made it 10 yards.

I decided after cleaning him, I was going to take the AR back with the ND3 around 10 and see if the pigs would come in. BM went with me. It was very bright and I could see everything clearly through the binos. Around 10:30 I saw a sounder of 15 come in from the left. I told her to put in her ear plugs and get ready, then she said look to your left. Another group of 15-20 were running down the hill on our left just 20-30 yards from the blind. Looks like it was a fight over food. After a few minutes I was ready and steady. I slowly aimed high in the sky and turned on the ND3 and soon as I flooded them with the light they spooked big time! The first sounder escaped in the trees to the left of the feeder. I took a pop shot at the last one running. But the other sounder came running past the blind from where they came from. I some how squeezed my fat head, gun and shoulders out the window. The slow fat one got shot at 3 times. Never heard a thump so figured it was a miss. It was chaos and over before it happened.

Well went to look for blood and nothing, just thought why not look where they ran and on the way out. Well did yall really think I could miss? grin

Posted By: jdk1985

Re: Think I will sleep in tomorrow - semi long read - 11/02/14 08:54 AM

great!
Posted By: Seadog

Re: Think I will sleep in tomorrow - semi long read - 11/02/14 10:04 AM

Good job East!!!
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Think I will sleep in tomorrow - semi long read - 11/02/14 11:14 AM

cheers
Posted By: mark3

Re: Think I will sleep in tomorrow - semi long read - 11/02/14 04:00 PM

I forwarded this to djones. He said he would have shot 31 out of those two groups, and killed 3 with his bare hands.
Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: Think I will sleep in tomorrow - semi long read - 11/02/14 04:39 PM

Outstanding!

Re: Think I will sleep in tomorrow - semi long read - 11/02/14 04:48 PM

Originally Posted By: mark3
I forwarded this to djones. He said he would have shot 31 out of those two groups, and killed 3 with his bare hands.

I don't doubt it. NV is on the Christmas list
Posted By: Txkiller

Re: Think I will sleep in tomorrow - semi long read - 11/02/14 05:15 PM

To long of a read, good kill little guy.
Posted By: txshntr

Re: Think I will sleep in tomorrow - semi long read - 11/02/14 05:20 PM

Nicely done up
Posted By: Western

Re: Think I will sleep in tomorrow - semi long read - 11/02/14 06:11 PM

East, been trying to think of something positive to say LOL. Keep coming back to "AR", "allot of rounds", "30-40 hogs" "1 hog down"

You got to hunt with the girlfriend and made it out alive when your position was "overrun" up grin

Re: Think I will sleep in tomorrow - semi long read - 11/02/14 06:42 PM

Was the plan. First time I have had the ND3 spook them bang
Posted By: Western

Re: Think I will sleep in tomorrow - semi long read - 11/02/14 06:50 PM

I have very limited experience with hogs, only hunted them once in West Texas after a turkey hunt. Is that a white light, or Red? I have only used the high candle spot lights with exchangeable lenses and for varmint hunting, red seems to be pretty passive in that situation.

Re: Think I will sleep in tomorrow - semi long read - 11/02/14 07:06 PM

It's green. I think I had the beam to concentrated
Posted By: Barcelona Rick

Re: Think I will sleep in tomorrow - semi long read - 11/02/14 07:10 PM

up

rick
Posted By: BuckRage

Re: Think I will sleep in tomorrow - semi long read - 11/02/14 07:58 PM

Great job East up
Posted By: Stevezx20

Re: Think I will sleep in tomorrow - semi long read - 11/02/14 08:17 PM