Texas Hunting Forum

Righty & Lefty

Posted By: Redneck_Hunter

Righty & Lefty - 10/02/14 01:30 PM

Sorry if this has been discussed on here before, but who considers bucks with missing brow tines to be culls?

Posted By: spibiggie

Re: Righty & Lefty - 10/02/14 01:32 PM

Everybody
Posted By: jdk1985

Re: Righty & Lefty - 10/02/14 01:33 PM

Is the one on the right legal?

Re: Righty & Lefty - 10/02/14 01:40 PM

Originally Posted By: jdk1985
Is the one on the right legal?

I don't think the one on the right is 13", but this pic is taken on MLD Level II property where each hunter is allowed 1 mature buck 8 points or better with minimum 14" inside, and no limit on culls.
Posted By: spibiggie

Re: Righty & Lefty - 10/02/14 02:14 PM

If you're on MLD, or in a position where you are culling at all, one of the first things you look to try to eradicate is missing or weak brow tines, IMO.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Righty & Lefty - 10/02/14 02:25 PM

I have not seen many bucks that had only one browtine keep only one the rest of their life. I have seen a lot of them get a second browtine. Most of them will not have big brows but they will have both. If I did not know what these bucks were last year I would keep them till next year since they are both young.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Righty & Lefty - 10/02/14 02:40 PM

Those both look like young bucks. I wouldn't 'cull' those two this year, especially given that they each have one of two browtines.

Re: Righty & Lefty - 10/02/14 03:02 PM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
I have not seen many bucks that had only one browtine keep only one the rest of their life. I have seen a lot of them get a second browtine. Most of them will not have big brows but they will have both. If I did not know what these bucks were last year I would keep them till next year since they are both young.

Good point. I probably should of asked that question in my initial post. Unfortunately I can't say what these bucks looked like last year, but I was wondering if others had seen bucks develop brow tines as they matured where they were missing as youngsters.
Posted By: dkershen

Re: Righty & Lefty - 10/02/14 03:07 PM

Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks
Those both look like young bucks. I wouldn't 'cull' those two this year, especially given that they each have one of two browtines.

x2
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Righty & Lefty - 10/02/14 06:36 PM

Originally Posted By: dkershen

x2

X3
Posted By: WTGuide

Re: Righty & Lefty - 10/02/14 09:37 PM

Walkers this year
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Righty & Lefty - 10/02/14 09:38 PM

Mule deer is fine but I think WT are ugly with no brows
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Righty & Lefty - 10/02/14 11:17 PM

Originally Posted By: dogcatcher
Originally Posted By: dkershen

x2

X3

Ditto
Posted By: Pope&Young

Re: Righty & Lefty - 10/03/14 01:14 PM

This is the same buck from a couple years ago.
He was a seven the year before and an eight the following year. He did grow a short brow.

Posted By: Hook_em00

Re: Righty & Lefty - 10/14/14 03:36 PM

Looks like a genetic problem, but both are a little young for culls
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum