Texas Hunting Forum

Natzweiler-Struthof concentration camp

Posted By: TurkeyHunter

Natzweiler-Struthof concentration camp - 09/20/14 05:53 PM

Natzweiler-Struthof was a German concentration camp located in the Vosges Mountains close to the Alsatian village of Natzwiller (German Natzweiler) in France, and the town of Schirmeck, about 50 km (31 mi) south west from the city of Strasbourg. It was the only concentration camp established by the Nazis on present-day French territory, though there were French-run temporary camps such as the one at Drancy. The total number of prisoners reached an estimated 52,000 over the three years. Inmates originated from various countries, including Poland, the Soviet Union, the Netherlands, France, Germany, modern day Slovenia and Norway. It was largely set up to house (and kill via starvation/quarry work) undesirables and people of the resistance movements. They executed a number of people there as well.

Two Royal Air Force airmen (F/O Dennis H. Cochran, and F/L Anthony R. H. Hayter) who were involved in "The Great Escape" and murdered by the Gestapo after re-capture, were cremated at Natzweiler.

This was all the center of the German science project of what became known as the Jewish skeleton collection. The Jewish skeleton collection was an attempt by the Nazis to create an anthropological display to showcase the alleged racial inferiority of the "Jewish race" and to emphasize the Jews' status as Untermenschen ("sub-humans"), in contrast to the Germanic Übermenschen ("super-humans") Aryan race which the Nazis considered to be the "Herrenvolk" (master race). The collection was to be housed at the Anatomy Institute at the Reich University of Strasbourg in the annexed region of Alsace, where the initial preparation of the corpses was performed.

They also did a variety of human experimentation at this camp.

One of the things particularly disturbing to me were the several meat hooks near the crematorium. Apparently when they did not want to do a more public execution the Nazis would use a small cord or rope around somebody's neck and hang them to strangle and die just off the floor.

This place is also in a fairly remote area of Northeastern France. I became angry after leaving, thinking about why they put it so remote so nobody would see. From May 1941 to March 1945, more than 17,000 people died in the Natzweiler-Struthof camp system. Some estimates are as much as 25,000.

http://www.struthof.fr/en/home/

Main Entrance (memorial in background)

They dumped ashes in that little area you see.

What they had to haul rocks with in the quarry. Public gallows replica at the camp. Minor infraction would have you swinging.

Each of those terrace level would have buildings for housing people in very bad conditions. They were about the size of a commercial chicken house. I think there were about two buildings on each level.

Re: Natzweiler-Struthof concentration camp - 09/20/14 05:58 PM

They were remodeling the crematory during my visit. That in the back was the smoke stack they were redoing. They also did experiments and killed people in this building, usually by short hanging as I described.

Cozy little gas chamber and lab/butchering place

Window for monitoring the gas at work

Where they dissolved flesh from bodies and maybe also did immersion and drowning experiments. There was also sort of an autopsy/lab type room but I think the shock of it all caused me to forget to take a pic.

Memorial. They dumped a lot of ashes here as well. A big ash pile was found by the allies.

Posted By: n-all

Re: Natzweiler-Struthof concentration camp - 09/20/14 06:15 PM

wow...
Posted By: cameron00

Re: Natzweiler-Struthof concentration camp - 09/20/14 06:20 PM

Those places are creepy as hell.

Been to Dakauw (sp?) outside of Munich.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Natzweiler-Struthof concentration camp - 09/20/14 06:27 PM

Concentration camps are creepy. Its like you can feel the weight of the gruesome history as you tour one. I saw Dachau years ago, I got chills.
TurkeyHunter, again, thanks for sharing.
Posted By: Western

Re: Natzweiler-Struthof concentration camp - 09/20/14 06:33 PM

WOW TH another great read and photos, if iirc, you posted a few of those soon after your visit? You had little to say then, so it either really impacted you, or you where busy with the trip and family.

I can in no way rationalize how a nation of people, could devise and tolerate a system as they had in Nazi Germany. For me the striking thing that really tells me how horrific it was, is the memoirs and documentation of Allied battle hardened, seen it all personnel, that where totally horrified about what they discovered in many "camps" across that portion of Europe.

I too, appreciate the photos and "commentary" you have so far shared with us. I have no idea why the American west (Indian life) or WW2 history fascinates me so much, but it has since I was a "chill'n" LOL

Re: Natzweiler-Struthof concentration camp - 09/20/14 06:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Western
WOW TH another great read and photos, if iirc, you posted a few of those soon after your visit? You had little to say then, so it either really impacted you, or you where busy with the trip and family.

I can in no way rationalize how a nation of people, could devise and tolerate a system as they had in Nazi Germany. For me the striking thing that really tells me how horrific it was, is the memoirs and documentation of Allied battle hardened, seen it all personnel, that where totally horrified about what they discovered in many "camps" across that portion of Europe.

I too, appreciate the photos and "commentary" you have so far shared with us. I have no idea why the American west (Indian life) or WW2 history fascinates me so much, but it has since I was a "chill'n" LOL

Those photos I posted back in June in the OT were right from my smartphone live, directly from the camp so I didn't have the time or capability to write much other than initial impressions. I intended to post some from my quality Nikon camera like now, but it has taken a while wrapping my mind around everything I saw. The last photo with the cross/small memorial over the ashes was from my smartphone. Not sure why I didn't take a Nikon one. I was a bit rattled from the whole place.

I've always been interested in WWII history since I grew up around a lot of vets including my Dad from naval air in the Pacific. I also got interested in WWI again after some quick visits to sites on this last trip. Plus I've really come to know how WWI really set the stage for WWII. We are still dealing with repercussions from WWI with things today the way they are in the middle east.

In a couple of weeks I'm going to be near Frankfurt for a week and a half on business. Over the weekend I'm returning to the Ardennes in Belgium and plan to follow the exact route of Standartenführer Joachim Peiper from start to finish during the Battle of the Bulge. Have been reading a number of books and a former WWII tour guide wrote a good one for the various stops along the way. Also hope to go back to Bastogne and visit the Ardennes American Cemetery if time allows. Been working on the coordinates for my GPS.

Re: Natzweiler-Struthof concentration camp - 09/20/14 06:54 PM

Now that will be a trip!! Not familiar with "Standartenführer Joachim Peiper" I don't think, but gives me something to research into up
Posted By: ivchris

Re: Natzweiler-Struthof concentration camp - 09/20/14 06:56 PM

my wife is Israeli heritage. She gets upset anytime we're watching the history channel and Nazi/concentration camp stuff comes on. I understand why and your pictures remind me why. Thanks for sharing.

Re: Natzweiler-Struthof concentration camp - 09/20/14 07:00 PM

Now that will be a trip!! Not familiar with "Standartenführer Joachim Peiper" I don't think, but gives me something to research into up

He was to be the point of the spear to quickly take his armored column all the way to Antwerp if possible as all these various other German divisions attacked along the Belgium border. His duty was to break through the U.S. lines along Rollbahn B through Spa, Belgium and to take bridges on the Meuse between Liège and Huy. The Germans thought if they could get to Antwerp and cut the supply line, they might be able to negotiate an end to the war and keep the allies out of Germany. It was going to be a "Hail Mary" so to speak.

The Malmedy massacre occurred under his leadership but I don't believe his orders. He and his men all came from fighting on the Eastern front against the Russians. I went to Malmedy and have read a lot about that incident.

Re: Natzweiler-Struthof concentration camp - 09/20/14 07:08 PM

OK, I am familiar with that and the strategy they thought would work. I never heard of who was the lead on it though. Germans where under allot of mayhem and pressure by that time.

Re: Natzweiler-Struthof concentration camp - 09/20/14 07:13 PM

OK, I am familiar with that and the strategy they thought would work. I never heard of who was the lead on it though. Germans where under allot of mayhem and pressure by that time.

Generals were really in charge. He was the equivalent of a Colonel and only 29 years old. You could think of Peiper as a star player.

The Battle of the Bulge is gigantic and difficult to understand because there are so many things going on at the same time.

Re: Natzweiler-Struthof concentration camp - 09/20/14 07:19 PM

29 yoa, they where running out of older material LOL

iirc, the BotB is one of the most studied engagements in history (recent) Some great failures and successes on both sides.
Posted By: jeh7mmmag

Re: Natzweiler-Struthof concentration camp - 09/21/14 05:16 PM

Thanks for sharing your pictures of the horrible reality against mankind committed by a few. The scope and size of crime is unbelievable to this day. But it is well recorded and proven.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum