Texas Hunting Forum

Age/Score this double drop tine!! Young county!!

Posted By: Hartca

Age/Score this double drop tine!! Young county!! - 08/23/14 05:04 AM

I'm not sure why it put the photos upside down but oh well. Anyways biggest question is does he meet the 13in. Requirements? How old? And what score? This is in young county, my first year on the lease and I have been feeding non stop protein and corn since I got on in april.
Posted By: BBD84

Re: Age/Score this double drop tine!! Young county!! - 08/23/14 05:16 AM

He should scare 160s or so IMO, He has great tine height and a pretty frame on him. I do think he will get by the 13" rule. Hope you get him and good luck. Great buck
Posted By: BOONER

Re: Age/Score this double drop tine!! Young county!! - 08/23/14 07:55 AM

5+ and 154-163 and yes on 13. Though most GW wouldn't give a ticket for that one if he was 12.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Age/Score this double drop tine!! Young county!! - 08/23/14 11:34 AM

Re: Age/Score this double drop tine!! Young county!! - 08/23/14 11:38 AM

He looks like a 4 maybe 5 yr old in those pics. I would call him a 150 to low 150's on score. Great looking buck up
Posted By: OneShotSam

Re: Age/Score this double drop tine!! Young county!! - 08/23/14 12:15 PM

Yep agree with stxranchman on this one 5yo 150. He is a nice one. Would like to see another pix in a month or so
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Age/Score this double drop tine!! Young county!! - 08/23/14 12:36 PM

4.5 150ish. I would let him get another year on him to see if he could get more width and deeper drop tines. Cool buck. up

Re: Age/Score this double drop tine!! Young county!! - 08/23/14 01:07 PM

This is low fence, he won't make it another year If he is seen!
Posted By: passthru

Re: Age/Score this double drop tine!! Young county!! - 08/23/14 01:47 PM

No daylight pics? Chances are he is nocturnal. That's how he got that old.
Posted By: HoughTown

Re: Age/Score this double drop tine!! Young county!! - 08/23/14 02:05 PM

That's a good looking buck!

Re: Age/Score this double drop tine!! Young county!! - 08/23/14 02:06 PM

Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: Age/Score this double drop tine!! Young county!! - 08/23/14 02:13 PM

Deer change so much over the geography of Texas so to get a better idea of how old this buck is I need exact gps coordinates of your stand/feeder location in order to better age him peep

Super nice buck and although I agree another year would be neat to see how he develops, this deer wouldn't get a pass from anyone on my lease or my neighbors. Hope to see his width ground checked this season up
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Age/Score this double drop tine!! Young county!! - 08/23/14 02:28 PM

4yr old low 140s
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Age/Score this double drop tine!! Young county!! - 08/23/14 04:53 PM

if there is no hunting pressure close to your place, might let him go, other wise, put him on the wall
Posted By: Dodge_Rock

Re: Age/Score this double drop tine!! Young county!! - 08/23/14 05:13 PM

Looks like he'll go about one fitty. He may not meet the letter of the 13" law on close ground inspection, but he certainly exceeds the spirit of the law, being let young bucks grow into a trophy. It'd be a cruel warden, and I've only met straight up great people as GWs, to issue a citation in this case and confiscate the trophy.

Hope you get an opportunity. That's a nice buck for low fence Young County.
Posted By: ACKHNTR

Re: Age/Score this double drop tine!! Young county!! - 08/23/14 05:30 PM

If you measured between the two drop tines I think he's 13 all day long!! Greatest inside spread, right?!!!
Seriously does anyone know the answer to that??
Posted By: ACKHNTR

Re: Age/Score this double drop tine!! Young county!! - 08/23/14 05:31 PM

Sounds legit!!😀
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Age/Score this double drop tine!! Young county!! - 08/23/14 06:08 PM

Thats a close call. I would hate to shoot it to find out its illegal but someone out there will shoot that deer on sight without even considering if he will meet ARs.

Re: Age/Score this double drop tine!! Young county!! - 08/23/14 07:02 PM

Exactly!!
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Age/Score this double drop tine!! Young county!! - 08/23/14 07:03 PM

I would call TPWD or a game warden and clarify if the inside spread could be between the 2 drop tines. If so I would call him legal.
Posted By: Opening Day

Re: Age/Score this double drop tine!! Young county!! - 08/23/14 07:16 PM

He's close. Wouldn't agree on a game warden letting you slide on him. They would probably say that's a dang good buck as he writes.

Re: Age/Score this double drop tine!! Young county!! - 08/23/14 07:17 PM

Inside spread is measured at the widest point inside the mainbeams and at a right angle to the centerline of the skull.
Posted By: wild1tx

Re: Age/Score this double drop tine!! Young county!! - 08/23/14 10:42 PM

If he made a daylight appearance I would not hesitate ground checking him. Your neighbors won't . Most of the wardens I have met wouldn't wright a ticket for a deer like that .
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: Age/Score this double drop tine!! Young county!! - 08/23/14 11:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Navasot
4yr old low 140s

Nav, I think you're the only one that's not completely high when it comes to the score.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Age/Score this double drop tine!! Young county!! - 08/24/14 01:06 AM

He looks pretty close, it could be an expensive gamble.
Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: Age/Score this double drop tine!! Young county!! - 08/24/14 01:07 PM

Originally Posted By: SapperTitan
Thats a close call. I would hate to shoot it to find out its illegal but someone out there will shoot that deer on sight without even considering if he will meet ARs.

It's Young county, you see him you better tip him over he will be shot 5 times after you shoot him falling down out there...watch that rut, as pass thru said will get nocturnal quick..this one was out there I'm sure he's dead...Good Luck

Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Age/Score this double drop tine!! Young county!! - 08/24/14 01:16 PM

Originally Posted By: Sneaky
4yr old low 140s

Nav, I think you're the only one that's not completely high when it comes to the score.

He is basically a 12 pts. The only pt's not long then his ear are the 12th pts aka the drops.
Posted By: txshntr

Re: Age/Score this double drop tine!! Young county!! - 08/24/14 04:22 PM

Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
Originally Posted By: Sneaky
4yr old low 140s

He is basically a 12 pts. The only pt's not long then his ear are the 12th pts aka the drops.

I have him around 140

MB 43
Tines 56
M 28
W 13
Posted By: Stub

Re: Age/Score this double drop tine!! Young county!! - 08/24/14 04:55 PM

Great looking buck up

I think its easy to get fooled on this one. His rack looks bigger/taller because he does not have very much width. I am guessing 4 year old in the 140's

If I was on a small parcel of land and that would be the best buck I had taken, I would rifle it in a heart beat.
Always wanted to get a drop tine buck! Good luck cheers
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Age/Score this double drop tine!! Young county!! - 08/24/14 05:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Dodge_Rock
Looks like he'll go about one fitty. He may not meet the letter of the 13" law on close ground inspection, but he certainly exceeds the spirit of the law, being let young bucks grow into a trophy. It'd be a cruel warden, and I've only met straight up great people as GWs, to issue a citation in this case and confiscate the trophy.

Hope you get an opportunity. That's a nice buck for low fence Young County.
Exacty. The 'spirit of the law' was about protecting young bucks. He isn't a young buck. Definitely mature.
Posted By: RedSnake

Re: Age/Score this double drop tine!! Young county!! - 08/24/14 08:58 PM

Cool looking buck. up
Posted By: aggiehunter03

Re: Age/Score this double drop tine!! Young county!! - 08/25/14 08:36 PM

Just show your GW a pic and ask. My neighbor is a GW and I showed him pics of several culls that needed to go and he gave me the go ahead on a couple that were just terrible but didn't meet the width requirements.
Posted By: dgilbert

Re: Age/Score this double drop tine!! Young county!! - 08/25/14 09:44 PM

Originally Posted By: aggiehunter03
Just show your GW a pic and ask. My neighbor is a GW and I showed him pics of several culls that needed to go and he gave me the go ahead on a couple that were just terrible but didn't meet the width requirements.

Really! Can you give me his name? popcorn
Posted By: txshntr

Re: Age/Score this double drop tine!! Young county!! - 08/25/14 09:53 PM

Originally Posted By: aggiehunter03

I would really be curious how this would work. I have no experience with ARs because I don't hunt in any of the counties with the regulation.

But, say a GW gives you permission and you shoot it. Then you fill out your tag and back of the license, and take it to a processor where your information is checked. Do they call the GW that gave you permission? Then you take it to the taxidermist, same thing? GW at the processing plant can't reach the one that allowed the discrepancy, so writes you a ticket. Will the other GW come and testify in court for you or at least call the judge?

Just don't see many GWs making exceptions to the law, but I could be wrong.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Age/Score this double drop tine!! Young county!! - 08/25/14 09:54 PM

Id put him down...
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum